Teachers with Tinnitus

Discussion in 'Support' started by Steffi, Feb 15, 2017.

1. Steffi

Steffi Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music (initially)
      Hi....any teachers out there with Tinnitus? I have had mild to moderate T (ringing in one ear) since a virus at Christmas. I had very very very mild T for five years prior to that from a rock concert. My question is should I protect my ears in the classroom? I don't want to over protect but similarly don't want to cause further damage.
      I apologise for my next question as it might appear silly! Do I wear ear plugs in both ears? I only have T in the left.

Thanks, Steph

2. Capricornus
      Inspired

Capricornus Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      • Like Like x 1
    3. david c

david c Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2012
      Hi - I'm not a teacher myself but I have several teacher friends whose school principals haven't always been very understanding of their tinnitus. Also I think one of the regular contributions to this forum - Glynis works at a school and is a teacher so she might contribute to this thread.

• Like Like x 1
    4. racerfish
      No Mood

racerfish Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise / T worsened with antiobiotics
      I teach and have thought about this, but for me I've found earplugs aren't needed and would just raise a lot of questions. I haven't had any spikes from my classes though they're rarely noisy. I suppose it also depends on the age you teach. Elementary school kids would likely be louder than high school kids.

• Like Like x 2
    5. kasjopejashe

kasjopejashe Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acustic damage
      I have the similiar case. Thinking about changing job :(

6. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      I think for quiet lessons you should be fine and if your out on yard duty or using a sports whistle etc then keep plugs handy if you need them.
      Love glynis