Technicalities of “Good Tinnitus Days” — What Happens Physically on Less Intrusive Days?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Yuuls, Jan 5, 2020.

1. Yuuls
      Dreaming

Yuuls Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      One thing I’m struggling to understand is what happens physically with those people who see improvement? If there is damage to the little hairs in the ear, why are some days somewhat silent and others debilitating? Does it mean the hairs aren’t completely destroyed, but struggling to stay alive? I know that once they’re destroyed they can’t be revived, but can they heal?

I’ve read so many stories of people going completely deaf after concerts, or having ringing for days and then it getting better. For me personally, I have never ever heard any sort of ringing. Even after Loud nights out. Not even a mild hiss. When my tinnitus began almost 7 weeks ago, it was debilitating from the start and I’ve had up to 3 tones per ear.

Does anyone have any sort of knowledge about why this happens?

2. Phat Tuna

Phat Tuna Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hygienist
      Dont know for sure. But what I do know is tinnitus is brain issue, not an ear issue. So whatever is happening on the good days is likely happening in the brain, not the ear.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    3. JohnAdams
      Festive

JohnAdams Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Aspirin Toxicity/Possibly Noise
      It's definitely not just the little hairs. If tinnitus is fluctuating it is because there is nerve damage most likely at the spiral ganglion neurons and or the ribbon synapses. In presbycusis, people can have hair cells die and lose hearing and not have tinnitus.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    4. FGG
      No Mood

FGG Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Multi-factorial
      I also think, even long term, inflammation and oxidative stress play a role. Also, the GABA/Glutamate system can directly affect nerve irritation in the cochlea.

• Agree Agree x 1
    5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Yuuls
      Dreaming

Yuuls Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Can nerve damage occur from any of the reasons tinnitus happens (noise, ETD, TMJ, etc)? Also can these nerves heal and/or are there any ways to aid in the healing of these nerves?

These are the symptoms I found of Nerve Damage in the ears:
      • Hearing loss, usually gradual — although in some cases sudden — and occurring on only one side or more pronounced on one side.
      • Ringing (tinnitus) in the affected ear.
      • Unsteadiness, loss of balance.
      • Dizziness (vertigo)
      • Facial numbness and very rarely, weakness or loss of muscle movement.
      The only confirmed one I have is the ringing but I have it in both ears (it fluctuates from ear to ear a couple times a day).
      I have not tested for hidden hearing loss, just the standard test.

6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Yuuls
      Dreaming

Yuuls Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      If it is inflammation, that means it can perhaps be reduced, correct? Perhaps I should up my intake of anti-inflammatory food.

7. JohnAdams
      Festive

JohnAdams Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Aspirin Toxicity/Possibly Noise
      yes
      probably not unless an infection occurs and that causes inner ear damage
      Don't think so
      Yes they can heal. I am currently on a quest myself to make my nerves heal. The best I can do at this point is constant intervention, no permanent healing.

Keep up the quest and don't be complacent. Cheers.

• Winner Winner x 1
    8. FGG
      No Mood

FGG Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Multi-factorial
      I think inflammation by itself isn't usually the root cause in most cases but can definitely exacerbate and contribute to symptoms. I did the anti inflammatory diet for awhile. It definitely made my skin look awesome but didn't seem to affect my particular hearing issues one way or the other. Not to say it might not help someone else. I think it takes more than diet. At least for me.

I took the anti oxidant supplement route (and Nicatinomide Riboside because i figure helping my mitochondria out couldn't hurt, too) instead.

Whatever you try, please report back. The more case reports the better.

9. FGG
      No Mood

FGG Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Multi-factorial
      @JohnAdams, it seems that TMJ can sometimes cause auditory nerve inflammation/irritation/damage.

10. Phat Tuna

Phat Tuna Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hygienist
      It is my understanding that nerves do heal. It just takes a long time. Is that your understanding too?

I have tinnitus and minor healing loss in one ear and occasional facial numbness on same side. Also have hyperacusis, sound, distortion, and reactive tinnitus. Current theory is nerve damage from dental work.

11. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Yuuls
      Dreaming

Yuuls Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      - I have been using Flonase pretty consistently for the last few weeks per the recommendation of my first ENT who said he saw congestion in my LEFT nostril. Started taking Claritin D to rule out allergies about 3 weeks ago, but 2 weeks in I'm not sure if it was doing anything? It did seem like it helped a bit with the pressure I had/have in my left ear, but could be a placebo effect. Wasn't a fan of the Claritin, it made me feel super dry.

- I am trying out Benadryl now. Mostly to sleep because Melatonin has started giving me headaches/nightmares, I have to do at least 10mg for it to work and that's on the higher end. Maybe the Antihistamine component of Benadryl can also do something.

- I'm slightly suspecting ETD for the following reasons: ear fullness/pressure but it sometimes it feels like it's in my face too if that makes sense, my LEFT ear (the one I got water stuck in 3-4 days before my tinnitus started) sometimes clicks when I chew, it's not a sharp click but more of a sticky squeak if that makes sense. Sometimes about an hour or so after I use my Flonase it sounds like that squeaky/sticky click you get when you're sick and your ears feel full and need to pop but I feel it in my sinuses. My inner ears also sometimes feel itchy, deep down and tickle a bit (I've read this can be a symptom of ETD) last but not least I've noticed a strange ache, which feels like a minor version of the pain I felt on my last flight when I was super sick/congested and my ears had trouble equalizing to the pressure (in both ears)

- Today I also bought Magnesium, Turmeric (curcumin) which I will begin taking tomorrow, and am going to buy some Ginko as well.

- I currently take a Valerian Root pill and Glycine for my anxiety when needed, and Ginger tea to reduce stress/inflammation.

- I also started using Icy/Hot ointment on my neck and shoulders nightly. I have always had bad posture and work a desk job. In the weeks leading up to my tinnitus, I took up reading on my lunch break, so I was in a hunched position for about 30 min daily. When my tinnitus onset (I remember the exact moment) my neck was bent looking down at my phone which was resting on my desk at work. Since the onset, I have also had maybe 3 really bad panic attacks, which physically hurt and I felt the strain on my muscles. I also spent a lot of time laying in bed (crying) so my neck has been hurting a good bit.

- I had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy done back in June, and also had Achilles Tendinitis flare up in October, but I am wanting to get back into some kind of work out routine, I am thinking Yoga/Pilates, as they are on the quiet side and shouldn't aggravate my foot, plus I won't need headphones (which I have completely given up since the onset of my tinnitus on Nov. 20th)

12. FGG
      No Mood

FGG Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Multi-factorial
      I can't comment much on ETD other than it is definitely a potential cause of tinnitus to be ruled in/out by your ENT. It seems like most people seem to report other hearing distortions with ETD but I'm not sure if that's always the case.

Neck issues seem to contribute to some. I know people with severe neck issues and no tinnitus, though, so I'm not sure specifically what has to happen there.

Valerian root acts on the same receptor as benzos do (but in a more minor way). I have my own opinions about this but I'm extremely wary of them. Some people seem to do ok on them, even long term, while others build a tolerance and get an initial decrease in tinnitus and then an eventual increase (same w anxiety). But withdrawal if not properly can cause the most extreme symptoms.

Benzos are a very common exclusion factor for hearing regeneration and tinnitus treatments as well. I believe I read here that Neuromod excluded them as well, not sure if they still do. It seems to interfere with Neuroplasticity.

All that to say, if you take it infrequently, I doubt it's a problem. I have an bias against these drugs that may be more extreme than it needs to be.

Turmeric is great for inflammation and, on its own, seems to have helped people here. But we are pretty diverse and YMMV. @JohnAdams knows a lot about best practices for absorption with this.

Keep us posted.