Teeth Clenching

Discussion in 'Support' started by McGee, Sep 8, 2013.

1. McGee

McGee Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2013
      Hey everyone,

I was wondering if any of you clench your teeth and if you were able to stop doing it, how did you accomplish this? I have been clenching my teeth, sometimes during the day but mostly during the night since my T began 3 months ago. It is getting worse and I don't seem to be able to stop it. I try to talk to myself, tell myself to relax my jaw and not clench but as soon as my mind wonders from doing this I start clenching again.

I saw a dentist a couple of months ago and they said I do not have TMJ but made me a mouth-guard to wear at night. It doesn't stop the clenching at all but more protects my teeth from cracking and wear and tear. I was clenching so hard the other night that when I cleaned my guard the next day I noticed blood in it :wideyed: My jaw is really beginning to hurt and I don't want to end up with TMJ on top of all this other crap.

Any tips or strategies?

2. cocobean

cocobean Member

Tinnitus Since:
      July 2013
      Mc Gee, from my personal knowledge, this can be a symptom of anxiety and probably as a direct result to what you are going through with your tinnitus etc..at the moment. My dentist suggested that I place my tongue between my front teeth when I am aware that I am doing it. It helps to relax the bite!

Try some of the breathing exercises I have linked to you :http://www.deafnessresearch.org.uk/...ion/what-can-help-me-get-a-good-nights-sleep/

Take Care.

3. somethingelse88
      Pooptoast

somethingelse88 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      3/2013
      + 1 on what cocobean said, i used to realise i was doing it subconciously during things that made me more anxious than my base level. Focusing on proper abdomen breathing as much as possible has helped me the most with general anxiety and now i cant remember the last time i noticed i was clenching my jaw.

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      McGee

McGee Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2013
      Thanks guys :)