Tensor Tympani Flutter/Twitch Reactive to Eye Movement — Tinnitus

Discussion in 'Support' started by AnnaMay1991, Jan 23, 2019.

1. AnnaMay1991
      Gloomy

AnnaMay1991 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unsure, Possible Muscular/TTTS
      Hi All

I've been put off posting on things like this until recently, my condition seems to be in its 5th consecutive year and I'm feeling like I really need some support.

My main thing is I haven't spoken to a single person that relates to my condition in this way.

I get a muscle twitch/flutter in my left ear. I also get the tensor tympani rumbling in the right ear when certain things happen (If i get something in my eye for example, or I flinch) when I yawn, both ears rumble loud.
      But this twitch/flutter is slightly different, less intense, but extremely frustrating.
      Episodes last from 1-2 days to 9 months. Non stop.

The thing is, I have noticed its more reactive when looking at something moving infront of me.
      If nothing is moving, or my eyes are shut, the flutters are slow, with bouts of quick fluttering and back to slow.
      When something is moving infront of me however (a scrolling computer/phone screen, the television or merely someone waving something infront of me) The flutter/twitches are quick, repetitive and constant.
      I've also noticed that moving my head from left to right does nothing, but left to right makes the same repetitive twitching. I also notice the same thing happen when i bring my head from down (chin tucked in) to up (looking to the sky) but not up to down.

I'm so confused as to why this is made so much worse with certain movements and NOT to sound. Nothing sound wise affects it. Which is helpful because the only thing that helps is if I block the sound out using cotton wool (covered in vaseline works well) or I play something with a headphone.
      I have ordered a very expensive white noise emitting ear plug that should be coming in the next few days, which I can't wait to see if it helps.

I think the root cause of all of this is anxiety and stress which I am working hard to ease, and hopefully the symptoms will ease too.
      Right now I am climbing the walls at all times, working full time infront of a computer in a quiet office does nothing to help this.

Thanks for reading, I'm interested to find out if anyone else suffers with this type of tinnitus.

• Hug Hug x 1
    2. Dana
      Busy

Dana Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2008
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Multi-factorial
      There is a type of tinnitus that is elicited by eye movements. When you look at something moving in front of you your eyes are moving more even if you don't realize, following the moving object, so the phenomenon intensity is increasing.
      I do not know how this can be fixed, though. It is something neurological.
      Good luck!

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      AnnaMay1991
      Gloomy

AnnaMay1991 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unsure, Possible Muscular/TTTS
      Hi Dana,

Thank you for your reply. This is the first I've heard of it, I don't know how I'd find out the name of it? I've googled it so much.
      The professor I am due to see in May is a neurotologist, so hopefully I'm headed the right direction.
      It just seems so bizarre.

4. Dana
      Busy

Dana Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2008
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Multi-factorial
    5. Dana
      Busy

Dana Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2008
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Multi-factorial
      @AnnaMay1991,
      I'm sorry, I read more about gaze-evoked tinnitus and it seems that it occurs only after a surgery.

But I still believe there is a relation between your gaze and tinnitus.

I suspect there is a relation between my tinnitus and the direction of the gaze, too. Sometimes moving the eyes triggers a louder tinnitus or changes the pitch and i did not have a surgery.
      God help us!

6. Professor x

Professor x Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/10/18
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Headphone usage
      did this get better for you? I’m dealing with this right now and It’s driving me insane.