The PoNS™ (Portable Neuromodulation Stimulator) Device and Neuroplasticity — Can It Help Tinnitus?

Discussion in 'Research News' started by DebInAustralia, Jun 15, 2016.

1. DebInAustralia
      No Mood

DebInAustralia Member Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Probably nothing new, but thought id share this.

Was reading Norman Doige's book "the brain's way of healing' tonight and was interested in his mention of the PoNs device that is currently being studied as a new potential option for the treatment of chronic neurological symptoms of disease or trauma.

The device is believed to be a way of enhancing neuroplasticity via neuromodulation. Their clinical studies show that coupled with targeted functional therapy induces cranial nerve neuromodulation. The therapy would consist of targeted physical, occupational, and cognitive exercises, based on a patient's deficits.

Apparently, electrical stimulation of the tongue stimulate 2 major cranial nerves; the trigeminal nerve and the facial nerve. 'The electrical stimulation of the cranial nerves creates a flow of neural impulses that are then delivered directly into the brain stem - the main control center for many life functions, including sensory perception and movement. From the brain stem, these impulses travel throughout the brain and activate or reactivate neurons and structures involved in human function - the cortex, spinal cord and potentially the entire central nervous system.'

• Like Like x 7
      • Informative Informative x 3
    2. Don H

Don H Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2009
      Just watched The Nature of Things, a show on CBC in Canada, with an episode on this research. Unbelievably exciting stuff, how this device modulates the misfiring in the brain and brings incredible results to some brain injured people. How I would love to try the electric tongue depressor for my hissing Tinnitus. This is indeed a piece of the puzzle!

• Like Like x 4
    3. Coleoptere
      Alone

Coleoptere Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bell's Palsy, hearing loss
      • Like Like x 1
    4. HELLOCHIN

HELLOCHIN Member

Tinnitus Since:
      July 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      No Idea , my ears stopped producing earwax the same time
      Seen the Nature of Things as well "The Brains way of healing" Love to give it a try

• Like Like x 1
    5. HELLOCHIN

HELLOCHIN Member

Tinnitus Since:
      July 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      No Idea , my ears stopped producing earwax the same time
      See the Nature of things as well "The Brains Way of Healing" Would love to try the PoN's device

• Like Like x 1
    6. jer

jer Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      Tinnitus is a brain injury, so it sounds like it might just work for us.

• Agree Agree x 4
    7. jer

jer Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      Has anyone tried this for tinnitus yet?

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      DebInAustralia
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      I don't think it's available yet.

• Like Like x 1
    9. threefirefour
      Peeping tom

threefirefour Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      5/15/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      140dB B R U H moment
      Any idea when it will be?

• Agree Agree x 1
    10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      DebInAustralia
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      sorry I have no idea.

maybe do google search?

11. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      DebInAustralia
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Found this:

PoNS UPDATE, January, 2018. Information on availability of the PoNS will now be through the manufacturer of the device, Helius Medical Technologies. In brief, some good news is that the final patients in the studies required for FDA approval finished their treatment in May and July 2017. The two studies which are the necessary prerequisites for FDA approval have now been completed, and a final package with the results, is currently being prepared by Helius for FDA submission. But the PoNS can not be made available to the public until FDA approval comes through. The latest guestitimate we have heard is that it could take until the end of 2018 for the FDA to release its decision. This may seem confusing, because the PoNS was available to patients who were in the well-known studies (for instance, the U.S. Military study of its use for treating traumatic brain injury and the Montreal Neurological Institute study for use for Multiple Sclerosis patients). But now that the studies are complete, the PoNS cannot be available to anyone until approved by the FDA. We know this is frustrating for those hoping to get access to a PoNS, and who had hoped it would be available by now, but this pace is not unusual in approval of new cutting-edge devices. Other news is that there is a migration of PoNS development activity to Helius. Because the PoNS studies have been completed, the Tactile Communication and Neurorehabilitation Lab that opened in 1992 and developed the PoNS and many other inventions, has been closed and the three scientists who invented the PoNS, Yuri Danilov, PhD, Kurt Kaczmarek, PhD and Mitch Tyler PhD, are now consulting for Helius on how to refine it. The TCNL lab website still has 50 research papers related to the PoNS posted on it, here. "

• Like Like x 1
    12. threefirefour
      Peeping tom

threefirefour Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      5/15/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      140dB B R U H moment
      But why when you could do it for me?
      Sounds about right. It's great we're seeing a torrent of this type of technology potentially hitting market soon. I will definitely be doing further research on this. Looks good.

• Like Like x 1
      • Funny Funny x 1
    13. Frédéric

Frédéric Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      11/19/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
      I don't think the attached file has already been posted. This is an americano-russian study of the PONS device on tinnitus. However, too bad the document is not dated, doesn't mention the number of participants, and contains a conflict of interest. Maybe some our american or russian folks could reach the designers of this study to get further information.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
    14. Fabrikat

Fabrikat Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis then volume then viral infection
      The PONS device and the tongue stimulator used by Mutebutton appear strikingly similar. I wonder if they both work along similar principles as well?

15. JohnAdams
      Festive

JohnAdams Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Aspirin Toxicity/Possibly Noise
      No it certainly is not!
      It's the brain looking for lost input from damaged or destroyed sensory input haircells and or nuerons.

• Agree Agree x 3
      • Funny Funny x 1
    16. Deathtotinni

Deathtotinni Member

Tinnitus Since:
      9/10/17
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Qtip and maybe a sound..who knows
      It’s really expensive for the treatment. It’s out in Canada and should be approved here in the next couple months.

• Informative Informative x 2
    17. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      DebInAustralia
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      What about Australia?

18. Paulmanlike

Paulmanlike Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      The PoNS device is being developed or has been developed by Helius medical technologies, a publicly traded company.

As somebody with both an interest in tinnitus treatments/research (I am a sufferer) and an interest in investing in biotech’s - it appears not to be much interest in this stock. A stable stock price over the last 3 years reflects this with one analyst giving it a buy rating.

Stockopedia call this a “sucker stock” that is adventurous. I would like them to succeed with their technology, but my financial brain tells me to avoid this stock....at least for now.

• Informative Informative x 2
    19. Deathtotinni

Deathtotinni Member

Tinnitus Since:
      9/10/17
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I’d like to invest in Frequency Therapeutics. That drug is going to change the world and heal people unlike conventional drugs.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    20. Paulmanlike

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      If it goes public I would hang fire a bit, but I would consider it if it progresses.

You can always invest in Otonomy, another regenerative medicine, but you’re not likely to make any money in the short term out of it, if ever.

21. Alberte

Alberte Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      The PoNs device is available in Heuro treatment center in Canada. Have a look at www.heuro.ca.

22. Piney

Piney Member

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Shingles virus
      That’s crazy. More data that there’s something to stimulation by tongue. Maybe one day it will be a zap to the exact region of the brain downward, or the correct one time zap to the tongue. Reminds me of testing a 9 volt battery. Now that I think about it maybe I will, or buy a TENS unit and give it a go.

23. vttbx

vttbx Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2001
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced
      Sort of related, I ordered the Halo Sport 2 tDCS device and should receive it in a few weeks. It has zero mentions of tinnitus in its usage but I was intrigued by the idea of changing part of the brain's plasticity. There is already a thread on Tinnitus Talk about this.

https://www.haloneuro.com/

24. Deathtotinni

Deathtotinni Member

Tinnitus Since:
      9/10/17
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Why do you say you’d never make money off of it? If the drug is approved and the company is public wouldn’t the stock price likely go way up? I don’t know a lot about stocks. I just figure a drug the cured hearing loss would be pretty valuable.

25. Paulmanlike

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      Investing in any biotech is risky. This is because many drugs that are in clinical trial phases (these are tests to measure safety and efficacy) never make it to market. I’m not sure the exact figure but only 1/10 drugs that are in phases ever make it to market.

Relating this to Frequency Therapeutics they have no product yet. No product means no market. Which means they aren’t making money. Frequency Therapeutics, although an exiting line of treatments that goes beyond treating hearing loss, if it went public tomorrow it would be a huge gamble. Waiting to see more evidence of safety and efficacy would be the best bet in my opinion.

Also, as they pass phases from 1 to 2, 2 to 3, the likelihood of the drug going to market improves. But not without risk. Look at Auris Medical. When they went public they did an IPO (where they sold shares of their company to the public) for 5.00 a share. They got to phase 3 with their tinnitus medicine (Keyzilen) and it failed then. The share price today is 0.50. You would have incurred huge losses.

• Informative Informative x 1
    26. Rio80

Rio80 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis + Neurotoxicity
      They're very similar in that they're both targeting the somatosensory system via the tongue. However I don't know if there auditory simulations are the same. I'm aware Neuromod's is based on one's hearing loss and not on the levels of one's tinnitus. According to the case study posted in this thread the PONS device is paired with an auditory masking paradigm but it doesn't specify what it's based off of. Perhaps someone more intelligent then me can read the case study stimulation description and perhaps infer from that to what the sounds are paired? A lot of it is technical stuff that goes over my head.

• Good Question Good Question x 2
    27. Finlandzeeeee

Finlandzeeeee Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown, acoustic trauma
      Have you tried it yet? Any difference in tinnitus?

28. reggie green
      Balanced

reggie green Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/08/2001
      $349.00 USD is not cheap. Good Luck.

29. vttbx

vttbx Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2001
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced
      I'm still waiting for the order to ship. It was a pre-sale and they said late April. I'll try to get an update.

30. Finlandzeeeee

Finlandzeeeee Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown, acoustic trauma
      Hope you the best but it seems like the headset stimulates only the part of the brain involved in physical performance. Still waiting for your experience.

• Like Like x 1