The Sleep - Tinnitus Connection...

Discussion in 'Support' started by jimH, Jul 8, 2014.

1. jimH
      Caffeine

jimH Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      30 years+
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      I've noticed over the years that the one thing that changes the volume of my T most is sleep. The crazy thing is that I can go to sleep with loud T and wake up with it low or moderate one day. Then on another day, just the opposite happens. Even a 1/2 hour nap can change it either way, from loud to moderate or from moderate to loud.

Does sleep affect your T?

2. Asian

Asian Member

Tinnitus Since:
      4 weeks
      All the time...something resets in the brain..it's a brain thing and not the perception thing as some might say...If I doze off in a noisy place, quiet place, whereever, at any time of day or night, I wake up to horrific T.. twice to 3 times as loud as my normal T.. It stays that way for hours too before subsiding, and depending on the day it may not subside at all.. Its NOT a "lack of aural stimulous".. Its something in the brain.. Something happens during sleep.. Its not just the quiet time, sorry... Why do so many T sufferers avoid even a 10 minute nap??.. Because they wake up miserable...sleep either mitigates or triggers the T..it's hard to predict which way it will go

• Agree Agree x 1
    3. Leah

Leah Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      I miss naps

• Agree Agree x 3
    4. Stan B
      Relaxed

Stan B Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2014
      I agree. I will wake up in the middle of the night to go to the bathroom and my T will really be buzzing loud! And my bedroom is far from quiet, from the air cleaner running and my iPhone running one of various sounds from the Sleep Pillow app. Fortunately for me, I do fall right back to sleep right way. Sleep has never been an issue for me so far (knock on wood) with T. Hopefully it will stay that way...

5. Ken219
      Frustrated

Ken219 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Summer of 1990
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure?
      When I habituate I sleep like a baby. Seldom nap. Habituation is heaven to a T person. After habituation I am not a sufferer I am living with T. During relapses I run for the meds. I working on my third relapse now. Only 7 weeks in. I know it takes time. I still want a magic pill.

• Hug Hug x 1
    6. RaZaH
      Cheeky

RaZaH Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      2012/04
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Benzo + loud noise
      Yeah, definitely ! Even a nap can reset T for me , either way . Going from low to high or the other way around.

7. My T Sucks

My T Sucks Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Unbearable spikes since July 2012
      Same here...My baseline days vs. screaming T days are invariably separated by sleep cycles.

8. RaZaH
      Cheeky

RaZaH Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      2012/04
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Benzo + loud noise
      Would be interesting to be put to sleep for a couple of weeks , see what that does ! :p
      I am willing to be a test subject .

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Funny Funny x 1
      • Creative Creative x 1
    9. Ken219
      Frustrated

Ken219 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Summer of 1990
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure?
      Two words michael jackson

10. Jay M
      Thinking

Jay M Member

Tinnitus Since:
      4/4/14
      Are we talking about waking up to a different sound or increase in volume? I wake up every other day or so to a buzzing sound. Does not change until morning.

11. Floyd Mayweather
      Bored

Floyd Mayweather Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise exposure or an ear infection, or maybe a combination :(
      My Tinnitus always gets louder when I lie down. I think the volume changes because of a change in blood pressure in your head.

12. luckyman316

luckyman316 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2013
      When I lie down, it gets quieter.. and when I go to sleep, I don't notice it (even if I wake up in the middle of the night). I sleep with a masker now, which helps but a few times last month I had to be in a hotel room and was still able to sleep without issues. Now, if I could only get silence like I had over a year ago!

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    13. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      jimH
      Caffeine

jimH Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      30 years+
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      Does the volume of your T often change from the way it was just before you went to sleep to the volume that you experience after you wake up? Also, can it go either way, increase or decrease in volume?

Thanks to all of you for having taken the time to reply.

Jim

14. MarkD
      Fine

MarkD Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      High cholestoral, stress, inflammation, diabetes
      I'm guessing it has something to do with the slowing of your heart rate, blood circulation or blood pressure when you sleep.

Usually when I get up and have breakfast it goes back to normal again until night time when my body starts to slow down again.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    15. Jay M
      Thinking

Jay M Member

Tinnitus Since:
      4/4/14
      I have a constant tone everyday mostly in my right ear but every other day or so I wake up to an electronic buzzing sound that is louder. Thank goodness it's only one day! Some days I may get two days in a row with a normal T tone that's easier to not pay attention to. I could hab to that!

16. Flowerlover

Flowerlover Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown, not hearing related
      Yes, I believe there may be a sleep connection. Some mornings I awake with none. Other mornings the hiss is right there or starts up shortly. I've taken naps and it disappears. I've also taken a nap on a quiet day and it starts. Trying to figure out if it is neck/brain/shoulder or sleep apnea or something like that.

17. Jomo

Jomo Member

Tinnitus Since:
      9/4/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      going for a rim shot on the snare drum.
      Yeah sleep is the only way to lower it..i hate this smh:dunno: