Theory on Possible Tinnitus Elimination

Discussion in 'Support' started by Wolfears, Jun 14, 2018.

1. Wolfears

Wolfears Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Jan 20/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most likely accoustic trauma
      Assuming that the theory about tinnitus being caused by neuroplasticity as the brain is trying to bridge the gap in hearing (usually at higher frequencies) is correct, I wonder what would happen if the far end of this "bridge" simply got removed?

Since most people lose hearing in high frequencies as they age (yet most don't develop tinnitus), it probably happens gradually from the top and there are no gaps to be filled.

So say someone has a dip at 9500, but then continues as normal again starting at 10 000 till the end of their spectrum...if their hearing above 9500 could someone get eliminated, wouldn't that kill the tinnitus as now there would no longer be a gap that "needs" to be filled?

This could force the brain to abandon its idiotic attempts to "save the day", by creating tinnitus.

• Like Like x 1
    2. InfiniteLoop
      Relaxed

InfiniteLoop Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/21/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      High frequency hearing loss in left ear from head trauma (?)
      @Wolfears

This idea comes up from time to time at TT: Treat tinnitus like a brain tumor. Remove the very high frequency hearing that is not that useful, and it seems to be involved in a lot of T cases. Will eliminating just the high frequency part of the tonotopic map be enough to silence T?

3. Contrast
      No Mood

Contrast Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      That would probably make tinnitus worse because of more hearing loss and the brain having to listen harder and hyper neuronal activity to make up for it. Also it makes me suicidal thinking about making my hearing worse.

4. Contrast
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      It's far more positive and rational to look forward to future therapeutics to regenerate hearing then to further damage hearing which is proven to make tinnitus and mental health of people worse.

5. Contrast
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      @threefirefour the evolutionary clock is ticking backwards, Pawel Jastreboff and the hearing aid corporations are rejoicing. A pseudo scientific view point that increasing hearing loss will help tinnitus is being born.

I'd want a cure for hearing loss even if it didn't abolish my tinnitus.

• Winner Winner x 1
    6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Wolfears

Wolfears Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Jan 20/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most likely accoustic trauma
      Let me assure you that I have no affiliation with Jastreboff and the gang.
      I simply took the widest accepted theory and did some thinking out loud.
      I dont think that hearing loss is the problem if it comes straight off the top and gradually.
      I believe that the actual dips in otherwise normal hearing (or interruptions if you will), are the problem.
      If your tinnitus could be cured by sacrificing some high frequencies (which for most part you wouldn't even notice)..wouldn't you go for it?

• Informative Informative x 1