They Won't Let Me Have Another Audiogram

Discussion in 'Support' started by MajaC, Sep 1, 2018.

1. MajaC
      Not worthy

MajaC Member

Tinnitus Since:
      fleeting (2012) Chronic (end 2017)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Birth, hearing loss, hearing trauma
      Hi!
      So… since my hearing had gotten very much worse, I’ve called my audiologist. My last audiogram was 8 months ago. She asked me if I went to the ENT and what he had said. I responded that he told me to pass another audiogram in January, one year later.

He also said that if it had gotten worse, to call for another audiogram. On my latest one, with the audiologist, it was also written to call for another one if it was getting worse.

She said that if I needed hearing aids I should try BUT that my latest audiogram was too low and that I should wait. Even if I said I was asking people to repeat themselves, even if I ask her many time to repeat.

After that, I talked about that to my mom and she said to stop drinking milk, that was causing my tinnitus and hearing loss. She got angry when I told her that I already had reduced my milk consumption and that I really need another audiogram. She was angry and said to stop complaining and to call the ENT, that he will say the same thing she said. (She gets mad at nothing theses days… Like really… a nothing can get her angry)

I don’t know what to do. I’m at my last year in 3D animation. I’ll have interviews simulations with real video game studios and the portfolio party is full of people and I’ll need to understand what they’ll say. I can’t hear sounds in my music that I was hearing before and I have to put the sound very loud so don’t listen to my music often and it was a great way to escape from my problems, to distract me from my tinnitus and now...

I know there isn’t many things to do except call the ENT or see another audiologist clinic (this would irritate my mom and I need to tell her because of the insurance) but it is stressing me out I don’t know why.

This night I had a dream/nightmare where even if my audiogram was worse than the first, they were refused again.

• Hug Hug x 2
    2. JohnAdams
      Festive

JohnAdams Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Aspirin Toxicity/Possibly Noise
      I've never heard that milk could be causing tinnitus. Sorry to hear this.

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      MajaC
      Not worthy

MajaC Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      My mom said so, that she had know that during her studies, that they stop milk with children with a lot of ear infections (I've never had these) and even if I tell her mine is caused by my hearing loss and hearing trauma, she don't listen :/

• Hug Hug x 2
    4. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      @MajaC ,
      I would sit down with her and talk with her face to face.
      Explain your ears are so important and your having trouble with them ,hearing loss and tinnitus so please give me the chance in protecting them and need to see Audiology and ENT.
      Tell her you love her very much and I really need your support right now.

love glynis x

• Agree Agree x 2
    5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      MajaC
      Not worthy

MajaC Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I've tried, but like I've said, she is not doing well these days. I think she regrets that she do not doing what she would had like to do in her life and yeah. :/ She try to get back doing drawing and writing books, but she's always giving up because everything not doing well -job not doing well, printer stop working, etc.- so if I try to talk to her face to face, she get's angry and said that it's my fault because I drink a chocolate milk the morning (I stop one week ago to show her that it's not related to my hearing) and listen to music (I hadn't listened to music since one week or two). She respond that I had headphone all the evening, but it was the tv headphone because I wasn't hearing well the tv and cannot up the sound because it would have been too loud for her.

6. Yoshi
      Wishful

Yoshi Member

Tinnitus Since:
      June 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Earphones, Bus Braking, Burping (air enters ear canal)
      It seems like both you and your mom need support, as glynis said you should have a sit down with her and listen to her concerns as well as explaining your own. If your mom needs time to herself you might have to pay out of pocket for a hearing test. I don't know how much it is over there but it's about $50 here in Canada.

• Agree Agree x 1
    7. JasonP
      No Mood

JasonP Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2006
      You should be able to get a free hearing test done at a place where they sell hearing aids. (Be sure to call first to make sure). This usually is a basic one that goes up to 8khz but it may be able to help shed some light on your situation. They should be able to print you out the audiogram.

• Like Like x 1
    8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      MajaC
      Not worthy

MajaC Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Yes the clinic where I go do that, but they don't want me to get another one until december/january. I'll try to see at the ear polyclinic near my cegep :/ if they don't I'll have to wait because there is not some much place in my city

9. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      @MajaC ,
      Tinnitus can ffluctuate and effects your hearing and if your tubes are full of mucus.
      Hearing tests then can fluctuate also so never the same unless you have permanent hearing loss.

love glynis