Things Sound Sharp, Can Anyone Relate?

Discussion in 'Support' started by ringringer, Aug 20, 2018.

1. ringringer
      Wishful

ringringer Member

Tinnitus Since:
      8-2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      expired earwax drops, stress, or past exposure from earbuds.
      There's this metallic edge, a certain sharpness to some sounds now. Voices, water hitting the kitchen sink, the tap of my keys while I type -- what's up with that?

It's not so prominent that it ruins me, but I notice it & it's slightly upsetting. Could that sharpness have always been there, & I'm just noticing it? I've been listening to things extra hard these days in hopes of getting my tinnitus to stay in the background.

Pardon the language. And apologies for spamming the forum? I just have so many questions.

ALSO, my tinnitus mimicked a crickets chirp a few days ago? Like, as the cricket chirped, my tinnitus decreased and increased in volume as it did. Is this normal?

2. billie48
      Sunshine

billie48 Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure
      Welcome to the forum. Quite often a new high-pitched tinnitus can be followed by some level of hyperacusis. This is when normal sounds can appear too loud and there is a metallic, brittle quality to the sounds. My hyeracusis followed by tinnitus soon after and it was so severe that I couldn't even handle the soft voice of my wife spoken too close. But one saving grace is that for many this forum of H can fade over time. So give it some time. Protect your ears with earplugs but with prudence. Take care. God bless.

• Like Like x 1
    3. TomPearson
      Transparent

TomPearson Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      This is hypercausis and is probably the worst part, it should fade which will make your T easier to habituate to, the problem with hypercausis is that every sound you hear has this painful metallic ring to it, which spikes the T until that sound is stopped.

• Informative Informative x 1
    4. Contrast
      No Mood

Contrast Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      Is it painful or just abnormally loud, or both?

do you think it is a form of hyperacusis or tinnitus reacting?

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      ringringer
      Wishful

ringringer Member

Tinnitus Since:
      8-2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @Contrast The sharpness? It's not really bothersome unless I really, *really* focus on it ( which I tend to do ). Even then the things producing the sharpness have to get done & they aren't wildly loud like vacuuming or concerts so I just tell my ears to deal with it lol.

@billie48 God bless you too, friend. Hope this 'H' doesn't become too big of an issue, right now it's manageable. ^_^.

I've been researching it a bit ( & by researching I mean, just searching around on this forum ), quite a few people say over protection of the ears is a bad thing when afflicted with H. Would you personally agree?

6. Contrast
      No Mood

Contrast Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      is it painful?

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      ringringer
      Wishful

ringringer Member

Tinnitus Since:
      8-2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      No, just slightly irritating. The metallic sound is unnatural to me so it's a bit worrying. That's all.
      And if not 'metallic', I feel I'm taking notice of sounds I used to ignore. Take me typing, for example.
      I'm hyper aware of my fingers hitting the keys, never felt that before.