This is so crazy... Now I know it runs in the family...

Discussion in 'Support' started by patty, May 2, 2014.

1. patty

patty Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      I just had an unbelievable conversation with my sister who is ten years older than me. I haven't spoke to her in months, and we were just catching up. I told her about how back in November I started with T & H and not being able to sleep at all.

She informs me that when she was my age she had the very same problem only she didn't have T, just the H. She explained everything was super loud, bothered her like crazy, thought she was going nuts, and all of a sudden she could not sleep at all. I just explained to her that it was called hypercusis, and she should google it. She said that she went to her doctor and tried various sleep meds including Ambien, Lunesta, and when they did not work she was put on Restoril along with Lexapro. She said after a while she was able to stop the Restoril and continues this day with the Lexapro and can sleep and the super loudness went away.

We talked for a while and agreed that this could be related to hormonal issues, and apparently now we know it runs in the family. Wow, just wow, I don't feel so alone now.

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    2. billie48
      Sunshine

billie48 Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure
      It is nice to find support from family members. Your sister understands what you are going through, the emotional struggle. My wife now has T ringing too. But she finds the support from me and my experience, knowing it is livable. She is much less distressed than me when I first got it. I often told myself that if my having T can help my sweetheart suffer less, it is all worth it.

• Like Like x 5
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      patty

patty Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      You're a good man billie. Your wife is lucky to have you to support her. I am sure, because of you, she will find it much easier.

• Like Like x 1
    4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      patty

patty Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Just a follow-up to my post. I guess ignorance is bliss. The doctor was not able to tell her what H was, so she actually saved herself a lot of stress. You know how we like to look up everything on the internet. She also did not realize Restoril was addictive, but only thinks the Lexapro is. Good for her.

• Like Like x 1
    5. michela
      Dramaqueen

michela Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      so did i get that right? she had moderate to severe hyperacusis years ago and now is COMPLETELY recovered?

6. michela
      Dramaqueen

michela Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      where is the "sweet" button for billie for his last sentence ?:love:

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      patty

patty Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Yes, she had hypercusis about 10 years ago. I am not sure of the extent, but what she told me everything seemed super loud like dishes clanging, drawing her blinds, etc. She walked into her dr.'s out of her mind cause she could not sleep at all either. She was funny when she told me the doctor said "lady you need a sedative". The doctor didn't know what it was and she never knew until I told her. She still takes Lexipro only, and says that it stopped back then soon after taking meds.

• Like Like x 2
    8. Very interesting story, wow. Was she going through a stressful time in her life? Hmm, maybe it's time I consider anti depressants as I was very depressed when mine started. Or like you said? Hormonal? Thanks for sharing. For as uncommon as h is, makes this occurence that much more interesting.