Thought I Was in the Clear for New Health Issues — Then My Ears Began Ringing

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Joe Beck, Sep 21, 2021.

1. Joe Beck
      Sad

Joe Beck Member

Tinnitus Since:
      June 1st 2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown.
      I'm unsure as to what caused the ringing to start. I know every once in a while I would hear it for either a few seconds or maybe five minutes, but that was it. The only notable things that I know of are that I had a liver transplant in November 2020 (it's actually my second), a hypoactive thyroid of which some time recently became more active making my levels go off, and the second Moderna vaccine that I got on May 21st. The ringing started up June 1st and was so loud for three days.

Now it's inconsistent and changes throughout the day. It seems its quietest in the morning, but can be loud enough that I decide that it isn't worth being awake for the rest of the day hearing it constantly. I told my PCP in July and she referred me to an audiologist that didn't call me. I called them recently and have an appointment next month... but now that three month window is gone for potential treatment for certain causes of tinnitus, and I'm so enraged that they couldn't call me to let me know when they could or couldn't get me an appointment so I could see someone else.

The ringing seems to also change depending on my heads position. turning it to the side causes it to get louder in that ear specifically. and after a month of the ringing I started hearing popping sounds in my ears when I yawn or swallow.

• Hug Hug x 2
    2. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Joe Beck
      Sad

Joe Beck Member

Tinnitus Since:
      June 1st 2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown.
      My tinnitus has been getting a little bit better, and sometimes I am unable to register its existence while searching for it. Turning my head to the left side will cause any current tinnitus to get louder in the left ear while my head is turned, and if it was not registrable before that, it will be after my head has been turned back. Other stressors on the head and neck region can increase or induce some tinnitus while the stress is applied.

My current thoughts on it are that it's more than likely a pinched nerve or my thyroid medication being off, as I was originally hypothyroid and recently my hormones have gone overmedicated and I'm now hyperthyroid to some degree. Since my thyroid hormone levels were noted to be hyperthyroid my blood sugars have also spiked and my "fasting" blood glucose levels are at the border of pre-diabetic and diabetic levels. My blood sugar levels are also not being helped by the daily 5 mg dose of Prednisone. Prednisone is the human made version of Cortisol which causes cells to be more insulin resistance (the adrenal glands secrete around 5mg in a person throughout a day normally) and is used to help with immunosuppression in me.

Spoke with someone in one of the departments at UofM that I see and they are suggesting I see a Neurologist for possible pinched nerves. They have a slight suspicion of my Tacrolimus medication causing the tinnitus, however, due to how low my dosage is, I doubt that.

3. Simon85

Simon85 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Nov 2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably noise exposure, but unknown.
      That’s a great sign.
      I hope you find some answers there. There are unfortunately many, many causes of tinnitus, so narrowing it down can be difficult for some. It may also completely resolve on its own. The fact you are experiencing periods of silence is encouraging.