Three weeks ago I was at the end of my rope, today I feel reborn

Discussion in 'Support' started by mike b, Aug 25, 2013.

1. mike b

mike b Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/12/2010
      Three weeks ago I was at the end of my rope, today I feel reborn.
      I have waited to post because I was waiting for these NOT to work just like everything else I've tried. My audiologist fitted me with widex dream 220 hearing aids with the zen programs. Before everybody rolls their eyes or dismisses me please read on. I don't know a lot of the technical aspects of my tinnitus only that mine is caused by ear damage due to continued loud noises. I have worked at a job for 18 years that's very loud, I recently measured the decibel level at 95 to 105, I just worked with it and got used to it I guess. I'm 52 years old and in good physical shape just so you know, 5 weeks ago my doctor said the tinnitus decibel in my left ear was 60 plus decibels and 45 plus in my right. It was absolutely unbearable, my regular doctor prescribed drugs to calm me down and keep me from the edge but it only made it worse.

People I was seriously thinking about ending it all... The screaming in my head just would not stop. Anyway!!! I got fitted with the hearing aids, my dr downloaded the program for my specific hearing loss and let me pick the zen tones most appealing to me. These tones are supposed to retrain your brain to concentrate on them instead of searching for sound it can't find. That's what I got out of the explanation from my Dr. I put them on adjusted the volume levels and within 10 minutes of sitting with my Dr in a quiet room I had measurable relief!!! The tears started to flow and I put my Dr in a big bear hug :). I'm not saying I'm cured but my screaming has seemed to be cut by about half!!! I keep the zen tones running non stop sort of like a masking device but with treatment included. Also because I'm able to hear MUCH better the ambient noises help to also drown out some of the screaming.

Add it all up and what I GOT is relief!!! I've tried physical therapy, acupuncture, hypnosis, sound cure, many many meds both prescribed and herbal even marihuana and I got NO results. I'm not a salesman for these nor do I get anything for posting here, I just want people who were as desperate as I was to give these a try. You have nothing NOTHING to lose!!! If they don't work you can return them for a full refund for up to 90 days. Every day I feel better, look better and act more like a human than a doped up robot. My Drs name is Allison Burke, she owns second chance hearing in Thousand Oaks California and she also suffers from tinnitus which was the reason I went back to her for treatment. I hope this helps someone. Thank you for reading my sad/happy story.

• Like Like x 3
    2. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      mike b

mike b Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/12/2010
      If anybody needs anymore info please email me .

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      mike b

mike b Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/12/2010
    4. just1morething
      Benevolent

just1morething Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      TMJ disorder, airplane barotrauma, noise exposure.
      Thanks Mike. We will have to compare notes on our hearing aids experiences. I had my ReSound for about a week.
      I had a lot of noise exposure with farm equipment and adult ear infections also, but I don't think as bad as you. I am glad your Widex hearing aids have helped your tinnitus so much and made you very happy again.:)

5. MT09
      Inspired

MT09 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress induced.
    6. dan
      Chatty

dan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      hi mike, great news! I am happy for you.
      Question: what does you audiogram look like i.e. do you have any dips at any frequencies beyond 20db from 0-8khz ?
      If so, how much and which freqs? (I presume your audiogram was a standard 0-8khz one)

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      mike b

mike b Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/12/2010
      My hearing loss was at the 4000 to 6000 hz range and was at about 60 percent . I hope these numbers are correct about the hz range.

8. Markku
      Inspired

Markku Founder Staff Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing
      Am really happy for you mike. A great success story.

The combination of hearing aid + masker in one device is very useful.

Thanks for updating us!

Markku

9. LadyDi
      Busy

LadyDi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Barotrauma/airplane
      Thanks for posting Mike. The Widex Zen, without amplification, was offered as an option to me when I had my first tinnitus eval about a month ago, along with Neuromonics. I am not going with this clinic, as am waiting to get into a university-based tinnitus clinic instead. But it's good to hear from a satisfied Widex user.

10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      mike b

mike b Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/12/2010
      The zen part for me is just part of the package . Zen plus increased hearing plus habituation for me equaled relief . Audiologyonline.com has an independent study on these . Very helpful in giving long term hope ,whether real or not ......