Thump in Ear When Hearing Certain Frequencies

Discussion in 'Support' started by Farrel, Apr 18, 2015.

1. Farrel

Farrel Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Hi!

I'm not sure if this is a correct board to post about my problem. I hope I'm not violating rules too much.

In December 2014 I've got this strange feeling of thump in my left ear when I hear certain sounds (like piano or tone dial, etc) somewhere in the range of 800-1100hz. And this thump only appears as a sort of feedback reaction to sounds in that frequency range. When there's no sound in that range - I don't have any thump at all. I also have some occasional ringing on both of my ears, but it's relatively rare.

I'm working with music everyday and this is very annoying as this range is quite common in music. My environment sound levels are relatively low (60-70 db tops). But in the past I attended a lot of venues with loud systems and in most cases I did not protect my ears (what a fool).

I've tried to google my symptoms but did not find anything certain. I also visited a doctor, on quite a quick view he did not find anything specific causing my symptoms. I'm going to visit another one, but meanwhile probably someone from here can give some clues?
      Thanks.

-F.

2. lapidus

lapidus Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Could be TTTS (Tonic Tensor Tympani Syndrome).

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Farrel

Farrel Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Lapidus, thank you very much. As I continue google it and reading information on TTTS, some articles exactly describe my situation. So I'll be reading more looking for treatment. Does it even exist?

4. lapidus

lapidus Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Not much is understood about this condition. Some people have gotten cured from it by surgery (cutting the muscles altogheter) but some have also gotten worse from that procedure. And there are reports that botox injection can treat it. Sometimes it just comes and goes as it will. Search around for it on this site and also on: www.hyperacusis.net and their messageboard: http://www.chat-hyperacusis.net/?forum=47709

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Farrel

Farrel Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Thanks, I will look into it. I've also found this article to be very helpful and straightforward about my symptoms, and it suggest to stop worrying about TTTS as a first treatment: http://hearinglosshelp.com/weblog/do-i-have-tonic-tensor-tympani-syndrome-ttts.php Worrying about it was exactly what I have been doing for the past months.

6. I who love music
      Cheerful

I who love music Member

Tinnitus Since:
      mid seventies
      Very high sounds bother me and my ear will thump for days. Recently I discovered that by putting cotton in my ear stops the thumping and in a day or two the reaction is gone ... til the next time.