Thumping in the Right Ear

Discussion in 'Support' started by Jorge, Feb 15, 2014.

1. Jorge

Jorge Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      hey all,

last tuesday i noticed this irregular thumping (as if you were to hit your index finger on a wooden desk type sound) in my right ear. it would only occur when i'd yawn or stretch or stuff like that but today is the first day it's been ongoing. it comes like every minute or so, with about 5-10 thumps each time. i started taking nasonex last wednesday because my doc prescribed it a while ago since she thought my tinnitus and "dreamstate" mindset was due to ETD. but yeah, any others with this thumping? i really hope it's not pulsatile tinnitus. come to think about it now, sometimes it matches my heartbeat but sometimes the thumps are a bit faster.
      any ideas to what could have caused it?

2. I who love music
      Cheerful

I who love music Member

Tinnitus Since:
      mid seventies
      I get it too. It took me a long time to figure out that it was a reaction to faint sounds so I put cotton in my ear when it flairs up and it goes away in a couple days. Weird.

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jorge

Jorge Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      hey,
      What do you mean a reaction to faint spunds?

4. citigirl13
      Happy

citigirl13 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      17/1/14
      Hey Jorge

I get the thumping too. I am about 99% certain mine is not pulsatile T. My ears thumped like mad when I inhaled menthol crystals which is meant to clear up sinuses and ease pressure. Perhaps you should try it? Maybe the thumping is due to pressure in the ears?

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jorge

Jorge Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      thanks for the response! hmm are you saying that when you inhaled the menthol crystals the thumping calmed down? i have a feeling that it is pressure in my right ear that's just not getting released - i sort of feel it somewhat blocked

6. citigirl13
      Happy

citigirl13 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      17/1/14
      Actually I only feel the thumping when I do it - I feel it in both ears, but more with the one that has the T (I think I get it in both my ears, but my left ear is the one that usually reacts). Also I should warn you that my T seems louder afterwards. However it does calm down after about an hour or so and with help from a nasal spray. However I see this as a good sign for me as I believe it is relieving the pressure in my ear. My T seems to have been caused by a cold though, and I think I am congested.

How did you get your T?

7. citigirl13
      Happy

citigirl13 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      17/1/14
      Actually I have got thumping when I'm trying to sleep, but not as much as when I inhale

8. I who love music
      Cheerful

I who love music Member

Tinnitus Since:
      mid seventies
      It does it mostly at night when the house creaks, or my cat makes noise ... the 'startling' sounds in the night.

9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jorge

Jorge Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      well, i got my T through expousure of loud music (i play in a band and go to a lot of shows) and also i listen to music really loud. i've stopped doing all that for that most part. My T right now is a low volume - it's more of a hissing in my left ear where it's worse but I only hear it when it's super quiet. this thumping that i described was occurring all morning and afternoon - for some reason i don't feel/hear it anymore but it could have been caused due to stress (we'll see tomorrow). now i feel a thump on the right side of my neck near my chin so that's really weird. It might be something wrong with blood flow or something i dont know lol.
      but right now i feel fine. i hope it stays settled, definitely going to the ENT this week though to get it all checked out!

10. paulel

paulel Member

Tinnitus Since:
      don't know
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      don't know
      I get it too from time to time; thumping in right ear. Sometimes when i yawn, sometimes for no appearent reason. the only simple way i get relief is putting an ear bud in that ear and playing something kinda loud, or loud enough to drown out the thumping.

11. Jessica Moore
      Arsey

Jessica Moore Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      I developed thumping in right ear about 1 month ago- came one day for short time and gone for about 3 weeks. Recently getting it more often- ENT has no answers- It doesnt hurt but so annoying and hard to sleep- Got regular dr to write script for Klonopin since ENT wouldn't. I had it bad Saturday- on and off all day and gone until a little while ago when I happened to yawn. Always brought on by yawn, hiccup, internal burp etc... The audiologist looked at me as if I was crazy and said she never heard of this- I told her, well, google thumping in ear after hiccup or yawn and many people suffer from this- ENT says its the 2 muscles in the ear almost like eye twitches . This is worst though cause you feel and hear it- :( When I first got it I was so anxious and up all night that night with it- does seem to not stay around as long- now like 1 hr versus all night- As long as I know it goes away I am trying not to get to stressed. Also taking magnesium 400 mg and maybe that helps? Read others who take it- since it is for muscles.