Tinnitus — Approx 10 Months

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by shelbyg75, Jan 29, 2018.

1. shelbyg75

shelbyg75 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      So I noticed my tinnitus last spring. It only occurs in one ear (my left) and is constant though fluctuates in intensity, but never goes away...

It had not gone away by May so I made an appointment with an ENT. He found no hearing loss or other reasons for the tinnitus. We scheduled a follow up hearing test for January this year... Again no hearing loss...

In the meantime I tried a chiropractor in case anything was just "out" he did a few small adjustments but saw not major issues or need for longterm treatment.

He said, though he would not recommend it, he would schedule an MRI for peace of mind to check for an acoustic neruoma, but I have no other signs... no hearing loss, no balance issues.

This month, I noticed a change in my eyesight. I have never had any issues (typically 20/10 vision) but I seem to have issues with my near vision (ie reading). I tried on some +1.0 glasses at the store and it cleared everything up.... Not sure its releated as of course I am getting older too and this can happen anyway :)

I and 42 and recently had a physical that showed no other issues other than some extra weight... No high blood pressure or anything else back on the blood work.

I am searching the forums and reading some threads... if anyone has a recommendation on a different type of doctor (other than an ENT) I should follow up let me know!

Thanks everyone!!

• Like Like x 1
    2. billie48
      Sunshine

billie48 Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure
      Welcome to the forum @shelbyg75. You seem not too sure what has triggered your tinnitus. Sometimes it can be puzzling.
      There are many causes, single or combined, which can trigger or aggravate tinnitus including but not limited to drug side-effects from ototoxic drugs, ear wax build-up, ear-wax removal suction, inner ear infection, Eustachian tube disorder or ETD, ear drum injury, fluid build-up in ears feeling pressured or fullness, sinus infection & congestion especially with a bad cold, TMJ, TTTS, autoimmune disorders such as Lyme Disease & Fibromyalgia, high blood pressure or blood circulation problem, anemia, loud noise exposure or acoustic trauma/shock, head injury or TBI, neck injury or muscle problems, hearing loss from aging or other causes, Meniere's Decease, barotrauma from rapid pressure changes in flights or diving, especially with congested nose or sinus causing failure to balance the pressure changes, slapping of the ears, deep grief, untreated sleep apnea, extreme/extended stress, anxiety & panic disorder, depression, sleep deprivation, etc. T can also be caused or made worse by unhealthy diet such as too much salt, sugar, caffeine, MSG, alcohol etc. or by lacking some mineral or vitamin supplements, such as Magnesium, Zinc, B12, D3 etc. Pulsatile tinnitus that follows the heart beat can be caused by circulatory system problem and a doctor should be consulted asap.

Hope you will find out what caused your T. If it is fixable, then your T may fade after that. Good luck. Take care. God bless.

• Winner Winner x 1
    3. New Guy
      Doh

New Guy Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      3/18
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced Hearing Loss
      I got glasses when I was 46 after putting it off a few years. After building myself up for some big deal about getting glasses the optometrist said based on my age and the fact that I was a guy she could have guessed the prescription of my glasses before I sat in the chair. Once you pass 40 glasses are often on the horizon. I wouldn't worry much about the glasses but you can always get your eyes checked for reassurance.

4. Musiclover

Musiclover Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Oct 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I have exact same symptoms but with mild hearing loss in that ear. Got the MRI and it came back negative for acoustic neuroma. Can’t explain it. Slight vision change as well. I’m starting to think the MRI may have missed something.