Tinnitus: 3 Weeks of Ringing After Fireworks

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Jassiel, Jul 24, 2020.

1. Jassiel

Jassiel Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/02/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      fireworks
      Hi All,

On July 2nd I was exposed to a small pack of fireworks which were set off about 5 feet from me. Unfortunately, it was a pack that pops like 12 small firecrackers and one flew by my feet and popped and made my right ear ring. Initially the ringing was in my right ear for about 10 days then the ringing changed to middle region of my brain. Now (21 days later) there are 2 sounds. A light eeeee sound and like a static bass amp. sound. Initially the ringing was like a 5-7 on a scale of 1-10. Now it is about 1-3 during the day and 2-4 at night. I am a healthy 32 year old and I don't drink, smoke and quit caffeine 2 days after the trauma. Has anyone recovered fully from acoustic trauma tinnitus?

A friend of mine shot a 357 magnum without ear plugs and it took him about a week to recover. Also, another friend said he recovered from a firecracker after about 10 days. I shot a 9mm 2 or 3 years ago without protection and my ear rang for 2 hours and I said I would never do that again, and I didn't.

The ENT's that I have seen said there is no damage to ear drum and the audiogram showed normal hearing loss in my right ear. I am thinking of starting HBOT next week if all goes well with the doctor tomorrow. Has anyone had success with this when performed before 2 months (I'm 21 days in)? Also, has anyone taken any supplements or treatments to help with the tinnitus? I am currently going to a chiropractor and he is doing some adjustments and shooting a laser on my ears. Seems to be helping a bit.

Please comment.

Thanks,

Jassiel

2. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      HI @Jassiel

My advice is to leave your ears alone and don't start any treatment including HBOT. Noise induced tinnitus which is what you have usually improves with time. By starting any form of treatment at this early stage you risk making the tinnitus worse. The ears are delicate and for this reason, many ENT doctors recommend to leave them alone for around 4 preferably 6 months, before starting any treatment including TRT for those that have Noise induced tinnitus, without having additional problems such as: deafness, dizziness, problems with balance or pain in the ears which isn't caused by hyperacusis.

Many people habituate to the condition within this time as your friends who you mention have done. It has also been known to go away. The thing you mustn't do is aggravate your ears. Therefore, I advise you not to use: Headphones, earbuds, headset or any type of headphones to listen to audio even at low volume. In-fact, I advise you never to use headphones again but it's your choice.

Stress and anxiety often accompanies tinnitus in the early stages and this is where your family doctor can help. If you are feeling their effects then talk to your doctor and something maybe prescribed to help you relax. Use low level sound enrichment particularly at night, more about this is explained in my articles below please click on the links. Take your time and read them thoroughly without skimming.

All the best
      Michael

PS: Some people benefit from counselling and medication such as an antidepressant and these are the only treatments I would advise anyone to try in the early stages of tinnitus. Sound therapy/sound enrichment can also be helpful.

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/new-to-tinnitus-what-to-do.12558/
      https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/hyperacusis-as-i-see-it.19174/
      https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/tinnitus-a-personal-view.18668/
      https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/the-habituation-process.20767/
      https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/what-is-trt-and-when-should-it-be-started.19024/
      https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/what-happens-in-trt-sessions.18195/
      https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/acquiring-a-positive-mindset.23969/
      https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/tinnitus-and-the-negative-mindset.23705/

• Agree Agree x 3
      • Like Like x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jassiel

Jassiel Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/02/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      fireworks
      Hi @Michael Leigh,

Thank you very much for your response. I am not using any kind of headphones since I have read some accidents people have had with them. I am also staying away from loud noise. Initially my T was about 5-7 and now it seems to be in the 2-3 range. I think I am healthy enough for it to eventually go away but I am really debating HBOT. I talked to a doctor today. I am in the Bay Area and came across a good treatment clinic but I will be giving it a lot of thought over the weekend. The conclusion the doctor made was that I am healthy enough to recover with the help of HBOT. Shes gives me a 50/50. Also, I have no apparent damage to my drums and normal hearing loss in my right ear. Today I'm about 22 days in and the window for HBOT is less than 2 months.

Thanks,

Jassiel

4. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      I am advising you again @Jassiel not to try HBOT or any other treatment at this time for at least 4 - 6 months preferably. Your tinnitus will improve by themselves just take things slowly. With all due respect to the doctor that is recommending you try HBOT or any other treatment for tinnitus at this early time, in my opinion is the wrong thing to do and I will explain:

Your doctor is a physician and knows about the anatomy of the body and probably has a in-depth understanding of the ear and auditory system and that is fine. However, I doubt she or any other doctor including ENT, has experienced tinnitus for any considerable length of time or at the intensity that I or other members in this forum have endured. Therefore, she is not knowledgeable in Noise induced tinnitus. I have had it for over 24 years and I'm strongly advising you not to try HBOT.

Give your ears time to recover and they will but it takes time. Read my articles and leave treatments alone for now. If treatment is required in the future, then I advise you to seek help with an Audiologist that is trained in Tinnitus and hyperacusis treatment and management. More information is given the link TRT, CBT can also be helpful.

I wish you well
      Michael

5. david c

david c Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2012
      Hi sorry to hear about your tinnitus due to acoustic trauma. I haven't had HBOT myself but quite a lot of Tinnitus Talk members have in the HBOT thread in treatments. I think it's generally accepted that if it is going to be effective it does need to be started within the first three months of tinnitus onset - but as you'll see from the HBOT thread there is dispute about how effective it is.

The other thing that is often prescribed in some countries for Noise Induced Hearing Loss and Tinnitus is some kind of steroid treatment such as prednisolone. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3102156/
      It may well be worth discussing this with your doctor. I think that there is probably more evidence for this than HBOT. Laser treatment hasn't much supporting evidence for its efficacy.

6. Bartoli

Bartoli Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2009,worsened 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      There is no clear evidence (yet) on HBOT but in theory it can only help by helping oxygenated blood get to the ear. If you're considering it and it's available you shouldn't wait any longer. Chances are it doesn't do anything, but that's better than beating up yourself for lack of trying when you had the chance.

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jassiel

Jassiel Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/02/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      fireworks
      @Bartoli yeah at this point (22 days with T) I am willing to do HBOT but I don’t want to add any side effects to my T. Right now it is on the low side (still annoying) but manageable. Per the ENT, no damage on drum and no hearing loss(normal loss in right ear).

Has anyone done HBOT for T and was it successful or added any side effects??

Thanks !

8. Bartoli

Bartoli Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2009,worsened 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      @Jassiel

I have tried HBOT. I can't tell whether it's done anything for my tinnitus (maybe it would've been worse now if I didn't?) It definitely was the way to go for me as I didn't want to beat myself up later.

There's a chance of pressure-related issues if you can't clear your ears, but you can communicate this and they can abort the 'dive' at any moment. I could go out via an airlock if I wanted to. (Takes a while to slowly depressurize you)

I'd say, take the advice of those that speak advise against it but don't have any real experience with HBOT it knowledge about it with a big grain of salt. Instead, talk with the nurses that are used to accompany patients on their first dive about your concerns. They may inform you properly, as can the ENT.

Good luck!

9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jassiel

Jassiel Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/02/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      fireworks
      Hi Everyone,

I decided to do HBOT and I will break down some events that I think have helped.

July 2nd - Noise induced trauma due to small pack of fire crackers(right ear began ringing immediately)

July 2nd-July 15th
      - Tinnitus in right ear, high pitch, about a 7 on a scale of 1-10(2 hrs. of sleep per night)

July 8th -9th
      - saw two ENT's, no damage to ear drum and audiogram showed normal hearing loss in right ear. But they only test up to about 8KHz so there is a possibility that I might have a loss at a higher frequency.

July 10th
      - I began some sessions with a chiropractor and he did a cranial adjustment and began shooting a laser on my ears(also began taking supplements and juicing/6 sessions of chiro. so far)

July 20th - my ringing went from about a 7 to 2-3 range(also changed from my ear to the middle of my head) and I also started sleeping about 6-7 hours.

July 27th - began doing HBOT(against my gut instinct), 90 minutes, 100% oxygen, and FDA certified, one person chamber. No side affects and T is about a 2 right now. I'm optimistic. They give me a 50/50 when done before 6 weeks.

note: I'm 32, don't drink, smoke, no drugs(legal or illegal), no caffeine, haven't really been exposed to loud noises(except 2-3 years ago I shot a 9mm and had ringing for 2 hours), not overweight (I'm 5'6", 148lbs.). Also I am very positive so I have a strong positive mindset. The prognosis that I have received seems good. I was told that for HBOT to work I need atleast 10 consecutive 90 minute sessions. The doctor told me to eat enough protein in order for my body to absorb as much oxygen(formula is weight in lbs * 0.37 = how much protein you should have per day). Also at night my T usually goes up to about a 4. So I'll be testing over the next few nights for any improvement. One good tip I got was to do a metal detox(can be done by drinking Figi water, 1.5 L a day for 3 months and also by juicing, there are videos on youtube).

Thanks for reading and wish everyone the best as this seems to be a curse.

10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jassiel

Jassiel Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/02/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      fireworks
      Hi All,

I’m 3.5 months in with noise induced tinnitus due to a small pack of firecrackers (one of the sounds made my ear ring).

I am on day 4 of 60mg prednisone. No side effects. Has anyone had success with oral prednisone this far out?

I know it’s supposed to be helpful within a few days of ear trauma.

I have about 10dB loss at 4kHz in right ear. Also developed hyperacusis as I am really sensitive to silver ware and high pitch noises.

11. Jrblovsky

Jrblovsky Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Christmas 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      NOISE/Menieres Who knows
      The hearing loss you have is well within normal hearing thresholds. Go enjoy your life.