Tinnitus 90% Gone After Treating MCAS (Mast Cell Activation Syndrome)

Discussion in 'Success Stories' started by SarahJT, Nov 18, 2020.

1. SarahJT

SarahJT Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Mast Cell Activation
      I stumbled upon my "cure" for tinnitus. Or my new way of managing tinnitus from flaring and at least understanding what triggered it for me.

I have had tinnitus on and off since 2016. It kicked off after a minor procedure, antibiotics, red wine, ear wax removal and loud noise all in the space of a week.

My tests came back saying my hearing was fine, so that ruled out hearing damage being the cause.

My integrative GP told me there was only 1 other cause. High histamines (hello alcohol, aged cheese, bacon, chocolate, strawberries etc etc) OR Mast Cell Activation Syndrome (MCAS), which, if you are genetically susceptible to this can be caused by physical and emotional stress, like an operation, big life event or prolonged chronic stress.

MCAS comes with a myriad of other symptoms (IBS, allergic asthma, hayfever, eczema, headaches, brain fog, fatigue, dizziness, muscle/joint aches and pains), but can be also exacerbated by low Magnesium, Vit D, B6, Zinc. All of these deficiencies kick up tinnitus big time.

My suggestion if you don't have ear damage, get tested for vitamin deficiencies. When I addressed mine the tinnitus went from a roar to a whisper and emotionally I was happier too.

Next, if you're an allergy person, like I am, then antihistamines lowered mine (I followed a low histamine diet and took 2 x Clarytine a day and 1 x Polaramine at night, vitamin C and Quercetin).

If I skipped the antihistamines, my ringing came back. I take these now when I'm sensitive.

This could to be why doctors tend to say that stress causes spikes in tinnitus, as stress can activate mast cells.

Mine isn't gone completely, but it's 90% gone and doesn't bother me at all.

I hope this helps someone.

• Like Like x 6
      • Informative Informative x 6
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    2. Eric N

Eric N Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2012, 03/2016, 05/2017, 05/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise + 3 major increases via (shouting / MRI/ flu+Tylenol)
      Is this a recent discovery that you found out you have a vitamin deficiency? What deficiencies did you have? Has your tinnitus has been constant since 2016 until you addressed this?

3. DreiT
      Paranoid

DreiT Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Benzo caffeine insomnia earbuds
      Do you have hearing loss?

4. twa
      Busy

twa Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      2017- mild /Sept. 2020-moderate
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      meds/acoustic trauma
      Amazing! Truly amazing! Did you take any steroids? Were you hesitant to take antihistamines? Can I ask what your tinnitus sounded like and how long was it bothering you before the reduction?

• Like Like x 1
    5. AliasM
      Depressed

AliasM Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Botched lumbar puncture, CSF leak
      Please can you tell me more about the low histamine diet.

I suffered from bad heyfever since my early 20s (I'm 42 now). The thing is though, I haven't had heyfever at all, not even once since my pregnancy in 2018. I'm not complaining!

Because of my history though, the ENT just said, 'oh you have allergies, tinnitus is caused by allergies'. Even though I thought his diagnosis was lazy and incorrect, I took the steroid nasal spray for 2 months anyway, and only just called it a day last week after no changes to tinnitus at all whatsoever.

I might try the low histamine diet though. I have been gluten free for a month on the 7th March but I'm considering calling that quits too.

• Like Like x 1
    6. twa
      Busy

twa Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      2017- mild /Sept. 2020-moderate
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      meds/acoustic trauma
      Hi, I'm doing the autoimmune protocol and follow the Myers Way Community and The Paleo Mom. Both address histamine issues and autoimmune, allergies or food sensitivities. I've been AIP-Paleo for 4 months almost 5. Many say they did not see improvements until 3, 6, 9 months or more. I've learned so much from the other members, especially about things like histamine. My favorite thing avocados are high histamine and I eat them every meal! Best to you in your journey~

twa

• Informative Informative x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    7. Renee W

Renee W Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Nov 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure
      @SarahJT

Very interesting post. I wonder if I'm histamine intolerant too. My tinnitus started after several things, one being a steroid shot while pregnant. I'm wondering if that threw my body into a histamine intolerant situation leading to tinnitus. My tinnitus fluctuates a lot and I'm trying to find a correlation with food. I haven't really so far. Some times I eat histamine foods (avocados, bananas, etc.) and everything is fine, other times my tinnitus flares up. So hard to tell if it's related to food. I am currently pregnant again and have been experiencing extreme sleepiness, fatigue, and headaches/migraines. Once again, hard to tell if it's related to histamine or pregnancy. How long of being on the histamine intolerant diet did you notice a significant difference? Do you think I need to take antihistamines everyday too in order for this treatment to work? I worry about the ototoxicity of the antihistamine meds. One more thing, was your tinnitus reactive by chance? The reactivity of it also varies quite considerably.

Thank you in advance for your help and your post,
      Renee

• Like Like x 1
    8. AliasM
      Depressed

AliasM Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I didn't know antihistamines were ototoxic. :(

9. AliasM
      Depressed

AliasM Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      This really should be more widely known. I was taking 3 times daily Ibuprofen for headaches for a almost a month straight which may be one of about 8 reasons I developed tinnitus. Nowhere on the box does it label tinnitus as a side effect. When my GP told me it was safe to continue taking, she didn't mention it either. Then after I developed tinnitus, she and every other doctor I spoke to denied Ibuprofen would be the cause. They just said they only worry about long term use in elderly patients with kidney issues. FFS.

I had some children's Ibuprofen in my fridge. I threw it out. Not giving that stuff to my kids, EVER.

I had no idea about allergy meds. I have some and just read the leaflet. It does not mention ototoxic side effects. This is criminal.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    10. green

green Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Histamine intolerance
      Hey. I’ve had tinnitus for seven years. I diagnosed MYSELF histamine intolerant. After 2 weeks on 50 mg of Hydroxyzine hydrochloride, my tinnitus has never been this low. Almost gone. The doctors in my practice here in the U.K seem to know nothing about HIT. During this time I suffered weight loss, insomnia, headaches, IBS, and other ailments. These too have improved. I had to get my own medical records and study them. Prior to all this starting I had rarely been to the doctors. Then seven years of hell. The last 14 days I have felt my body healing.

• Winner Winner x 3
      • Like Like x 2
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    11. green

green Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Histamine intolerance
      Yes. This was what I was doing. Taking Ibuprofen for my headaches and getting bowel issues and skin flares. You must study Histamine intolerance. My GPs haven't got a clue. Good luck.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    12. green

green Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Histamine intolerance
      It was about four years ago when I had low vitamin D. And anemia. Both were resolved and never showed deficient again. My tinnitus has been constant since 2013.

13. green

green Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Histamine intolerance
      It’s trial and error with the diet. Originally I started with a juice cleanse. All fresh fruit and fish. No processed tinned or plastic wrapped foods. I believe this was caused by a prolonged use of pain killers after a car accident.

All I know is that antihistamines work for me. Everyone’s journey is different. A good nutritionist and an understanding GP would help. Good luck

• Like Like x 1
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    14. green

green Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Histamine intolerance
      No. No hearing loss.