Tinnitus Advert in the UK

Discussion in 'Awareness & Fundraising' started by Ed209, Jul 22, 2016.

1. Ed209

Ed209 Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      • Like Like x 4
      • Agree Agree x 1
    2. lapidus

lapidus Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      "Before 2000, very little was known about which parts of the hearing system were involved in tinnitus. Today, the picture is very different – we know more than ever before and a cure really is within our grasp. Right now, there are over 15 medications to treat tinnitus and hearing loss with in clinical trials"

Huh? Really? The only one I know that is in clinical trials is AM-101. And as far as I know, AM-101 and AUT00063 (which was aborted) are the only medications EVER to be developed primarily for T. So what are those other 14 medications for T that are in clinical trials?

EDIT: Oh, and OTO-311 too which is in phase 1. But that still leaves 13 "unknown" medications for T.

• Agree Agree x 1
    3. walkthroughwalls

walkthroughwalls Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Sounds good, especially coming from such a major organisation. And at the same time I'm with @lapidus on this: I'd like to know what they're basing this on.

"Today [...] we know more than ever before and a cure really is within our grasp."

How close are they and why?

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Ed209

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      I will add that this is on TV; just incase anyone missed the video. I think they could have added some warnings to help the prevention of tinnitus, but it's still a positive step to see some mainstream TV activity going on.

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Ed209

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      I'm not sure what 15 they are referring to, but there is SciFluor SF0034 you can add to the list as well as certain brain therapies such as TMS. There is also a vagus nerve stimulating device that can be implanted.

6. Ears Hurt

Ears Hurt Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Whiplash or Buzzer (abuse from ex)
      Its a great effort to obtain funding for research! Thanks for sharing @Ed209

• Like Like x 2
    7. lapidus

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Scifluor isn't in clinical trials yet and it's not primarily for T. It's for epilepsy first and foremost. TMS isn't a medication and neither is Vagus Nerve Stimulation.

8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Ed209

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      I know, but loosely speaking any approach towards a solution is all that's needed. Either there are 15 medications, they are lying, or they just used a misleading word. Maybe 'treatments' is more what they were inferring.

In either case, I'm far more interested in the fact that they are actually trying to get some funding, and as a side effect of this more awareness of the condition is being raised. This can only be a positive thing surely? It's certainly not a bad thing.

9. lapidus

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Yeah it's a positive thing, absolutely. I just hope they are saying what it looks like they are saying.

10. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      Yes it's probably a good thing. But I'm not sure about the ROI on this (it costs a lot of money to run an ad on TV).
      I really think Tinnitus Research & Awareness needs a jolt. I don't mean to minimize the current efforts (including this TV ad), but I'm thinking more in terms of big splash, like a telethon.

11. whale
      No Mood

whale Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/25/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Myofascial crap Bruxism, a jackhammer, stress who knows
    12. Vaba
      Shitfaced

Vaba Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Unknown
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown. Gradual, Progressive
      As long as this gets people's attention, I'm OK with a little white lie.

13. Richard zurowski

Richard zurowski Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      27/12/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection.
      @Ed209 . You say it's on a TV ad . Haven't seen it yet .

14. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Ed209

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      This was in July and it was a daytime tv ad. Not sure if it's still running as I don't watch daytime tv and not sure if it ran in the evenings or not.

15. Vinnitus
      Tired

Vinnitus Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      28/04/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Instead, I would opt for something like the ALS "Ice Bucket Challenge", but then of course modified with a more appropriate challenge for something regarding Tinnitus/Hyperacusis. I imagine this costs far less than organising a telethon, as anyone with a potato in his pocket can record a movie with a person doing some challenge. You only need a big party with lots of connections to make it go viral though...

For ALS this was quite a successful endeavour, raising both awareness and funds for research.

16. Vinnitus
      Tired

Vinnitus Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      28/04/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Most probably broadcast time during the day is cheaper than during "prime-time" in the evening hours. This might say something about the available budget for the ad. During the day most people are at work and hence the exposure is unfortunately low. Aside from that, a lot happens over the internet today, so I guess thats where one can make the big whammies nowadays.

17. Candy

Candy Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unidentified
      reaching out to rock/pop stars to donate some of their album proceeds, Taylor Swift, Justin Bieber...?

18. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Ed209

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      The advert is still running as I caught it on tv yesterday. I never watch daytime tv so I'm assuming it's been a regular thing the last few months. They are appealing for £15 donations to aid research stating there is a lack of funding.

19. Champ
      Woot

Champ Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma from headphones
      Once you get it, you might greedily want them to just figure out a straight cure for it instead of focusing on preventative measures.

But I totally agree with you, people need to be warned about this. Just like everyone tells you not to stare into the sun or else you'll go blind, don't listen to loud music if you enjoy silence!