Tinnitus After Cold — Need Advice

Discussion in 'Support' started by Deamon22, Jul 27, 2018.

1. Deamon22

Deamon22 Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Head Trauma
      Hello everyone, I need your help please:)

I got mild Tinnitus together with a bad cold in the beginning of June (if someone wants to read the whole story I wrote it in the introduction section: https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/mild-tinnitus-—-how-should-i-proceed.30349/)

Anyway today I saw another ENT and after some questions he looked with a camera in my nose and there was still some mucous left (my cold cleared up at least a month ago, maybe more). As a child I was a bit allergic to pollen etc. but I didn't notice it anymore (maybe really mild).

He also did a tympanogram and the peak was a bit moved to the left on both ears on the diagram (not a lot but not exactly in the middle). He also removed a tiny bit of ear wax.

So he assumed that my ET is still blocked and the tinnitus comes from that. He prescribed me some nasal spray (don't know exactly what's in it but just something with N-Acetylcysteine) and a kind of nasal wash to clear the nose once a day.

What do you all say? Should I do anything else? Anyone experience with this?

BTW: Yesterday I woke up and had no Tinnitus the whole day:D Never happend before (although my tinnitus fluctuates much and I often get times of silence). Today it was unfortunately back a bit but eh, can't have it all at once....

• Hug Hug x 1
    2. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Deamon22

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Head Trauma
      Sry to bother you all again i‘m having a bit of anxiety now...i searched a bit on this site about ETD ecc. and after a while i read posts of people who had problems after a microsuction.
      My ENT did that today very briefly in both ears, i would say 3-5 seconds in right ear and maybe 8 seconds in left ear.

Now they feel a bit painful, like the ear canal is a bit irritated. Do you think that could haved caused a problem?

3. Starthrower
      Wtf

Starthrower Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2002
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Dental Surgery
      Hi @Deamon22 !

Try not to worry right now. It takes a while to clear up the stuff in your ears. Maybe someone here has more experience with the"nasal spray (don't know exactly what's in it but just something with N-Acetylcysteine) and a kind of nasal wash to clear the nose once a day."

I used to have some issues with that and I started using this mixture of one tablespoon of Bragg organic Apple Cider Vinegar in a glass of warm water. Sip it with a straw in the morning then brush your teeth to protect the enamel. I found it helped the congestion dry up. I still use it every morning.

I think with a little more time you will start to better and that pain feeling will ease up. Be more careful with loud noise situations for now.

• Like Like x 1
    4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Deamon22

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Head Trauma
      @Starthrower thank you for your answer:) my tinnitus wasn‘t noise induced so i really didn‘t thought about that nor do i try to avoid everyday noise (of course i don‘t go to clubs or concerts atm). The microsuction wasn‘t even very loud and it was just for a really short time, so i hope it‘s just my nerves now after reading some of those bad stories...

5. Starthrower
      Wtf

Starthrower Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2002
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Dental Surgery
      Yeah @Deamon22 that used to bother me also. The nerves. Just for now your ears may be a bit sensitive that is why I mentioned just to be a bit careful.

It is hard to shake off the anxiety but with time it gets a little easier.

Keep posting questions when you need to!

• Hug Hug x 1
    6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Deamon22

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Head Trauma
      @Starthrower Ok will do, thank you so much, that helped me. I‘ll sleep a night over it and hopefully tomorrow it goes back to normal:) Maybe the ears are just a bit stressed, it feels like this metal thing is still in there sometimes..o_O

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Deamon22

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Head Trauma
      Bad news, i have now a intense static noise in my left ear, prior to the microsuction i had no tinnitus there....i can‘t sleep and im panicking. Also my ear hurts. I don‘t know what to do....

8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Deamon22

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Head Trauma
      Can someone help me? What should i do?

9. HighleyTall
      In pain

HighleyTall Member

Tinnitus Since:
      5/2004
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      monitor noise trauma at gig
      Hi, according to your other thread you have another appointment with an ENT in a week. I don't think there is any reason to panic, but it's a normal reaction.
      I have T for years (painless) only recently severe T and H with pain. The skin in your earchannel is very sensitive. Maybe it is a bit irritated from the microsuction. What you could try is some natural ear drops like f.e. OTOSAN. It relieves the skin and is made from natural oils.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Deamon22

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Head Trauma
      Thank you for your advice. I was just panicking because my T got a bit louder after the microsuction, but yesterday and today it went down again to a 1-2/10. Also my ears are back to normal, i think they were just a bit irritated.

I think i‘ll cancel the next ENT appointment since i already have got advice from the last one to work on my ETD. Maybe i‘ll make an appointment with an audiologoist and do an extended audiogram.

• Like Like x 1
    11. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Deamon22

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Head Trauma
      UPDATE:

Had my last appointment with an audiologist and ENT today, however he said my ET are working fine now, so he suspects that maybe my car accident 1,5 months earlier, where i had a trauma for some weeks, could also have to do something with it (since i also have a somatic component with my T). Also i have probably a chronic pollen allergy that i never really noticed much that i will check later this year.

So there are now 3 things that could have been the culprit:

1. Tinnitus because of cumulated noise: My T didn‘t start after an acoustic trauma or anything and the last 6 years had been pretty normal for me, maybe 2-3 clubs a year and maybe a concert every 2 years, and a bit of headphone usage. However nothing extremly noisy. Never experienced any fullness, muffled hearing or ear pressure that i know of. Also i don´t have hyperacusis. I could do an Audiogram to 16k in this facility where i have been today, however maybe i‘ll do that later.

2. Car Accident + Trauma: CT and MRI are all normal, however i will have an osteopath check my neck and jaw, maybe that helps.

3. Sinus infection/allergies: My ET are more or less ok now, so i will just continue with some saline nasal spray and keep everything free.

Since i don‘t know what exactly set my T off i will however use plugs when around loud noise (already bought some and have them in my car, office, gym bag and home ahahah:D) and never use headphones again.

However i had nearly 3 or 4 full days of near silence until yesterday, unfortunately my T creeped back this night. Now i can hear the faint whistling again if i‘m in a quiet room. I would rate my T fluctuating between 0,5-2/3.

I‘ll check back in some time and give an update. Thanks to everyone for the help:)

Last edited: Aug 2, 2018
      • Like Like x 1