Tinnitus After Ear Ventilation Tube (Grommets) Insertion

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Critty81, Apr 18, 2021.

1. Critty81

Critty81 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hello everyone. I recently had ear ventilation tubes inserted to help with Eustachian Tube Dysfunction.

I noticed a week after the tubes were inserted I developed tinnitus in my left ear only. It gets worse, then better, then worse, then better.

I am able to blow air through both of my ears consistently now, which the ENT says, indicates the Eustachian tubes are open and I no longer need the ventilation tubes (grommets) and they are being removed tomorrow.

I was wondering if anyone else developed tinnitus after tubes were inserted, especially since the tubes are supposed to help with tinnitus and not cause it? Or maybe, it’s something else entirely?

The timing is just very odd, as I never had tinnitus before the tubes were inserted.

Thank you for any help or insight into this.

• Hug Hug x 1
    2. billie48
      Sunshine

billie48 Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure
      Welcome to the forum.

The good sign is that your tinnitus already has period of getting better. Perhaps it is the body trying to heal the eustachian tube. Give it some time and see if it will heal.

God bless.

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Critty81

Critty81 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Thank you very much for the response. I got the tubes removed and the ENT said once the hole in the eardrum closes up, the tinnitus should completely go away in my left ear. It has been at a very mild level the past two days (got tubes removed two days ago on Monday).

So, I am optimistic it is going away. Also, I notice that when I get out of bed, it's not there, but once my feet hit the ground I get a very faint ringing in my left ear (second day in a row its been like this). My hope is this will continue to get better.

4. Brain Tumor Dave
      Wishful

Brain Tumor Dave Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Vestibular Schwannoma / Posterior Fossa Meningioma
      I had bleeding ear infections caused by air pollution in Japan, 50 years ago. It was a specific kind of pollution, a chemical biohazard of sorts that's since been called "Tokyo Smog Syndrome."

I had tubes in my ears for a LONG time as I couldn't leave the area (I was a military kid living there). I had no choice - had to live in the pollution. The infections, or maybe the airborne, industrial chemicals, led to ear nerve damage. The damage, and resulting tinnitus that I've lived with every day since then, had nothing to do with the tubes.

Try to protect your ears as best you can. I wouldn't worry about tubes causing any damage, they're just through your eardrums, right? Damaged eardrums don't cause tinnitus; as far as I know. Damaged eardrums could only cause hearing loss. It's the nerves you need to protect.

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Critty81

Critty81 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      The ear drums are less likely to cause tinnitus than the nerves but they can also be the culprit. For instance, even a slight bit of earwax on the ear drum can cause tinnitus. My ENT did say, he has patients about every two months who developed tinnitus once the ear tubes were placed in their ears/ear drums. The ear drums would take around 5 days for the hole to close up, and once the hole healed, the tinnitus goes away. Apparently, the ear drum is very sensitive as well.

6. Shannonxsmithx

Shannonxsmithx Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Grommets
      @Critty81, did your tinnitus go away?

I’m in exactly the same situation as you and I’d really appreciate a reply. :(

7. annmelton69

annmelton69 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Ear tubes
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I think ear tubes
      @Shannonxsmithx, has yours gone away? I’ve had tinnitus since having tubes put in a month ago and I’m having them removed Tuesday.

8. Annie Smythe

Annie Smythe Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I had grommets put in a week ago and have developed intense tinnitus and very bad hearing. I have emailed the surgeon today asking them to be removed as soon as possible. Just hoping on removal the tinnitus starts to clear.