Tinnitus After Giving Birth

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Kirstystired, Jul 30, 2020.

1. Guywithapug
      Dreaming

Guywithapug Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      SSHL
      Curious about this as well, has there been any progress with fading?

2. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Kirstystired

Kirstystired Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      Hi there,

So I'm 6.5 months in and my tinnitus has faded a lot. I mainly hear it at night but it is much quieter than it was before and I certainly am not as distressed by it. Some days it gets a bit louder but it is nowhere near as bad as it was when it first started.

At the moment it's a bit louder than normal but I've recently been a bit unwell and I think that's why.

Xx

• Like Like x 4
      • Hug Hug x 2
    3. Jodiharing

Jodiharing Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure
      How are you now?

4. bryanh

bryanh Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      How is your tinnitus now? I hope it is healing better since your February update...

5. AliasM
      Depressed

AliasM Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Botched lumbar puncture, CSF leak
      Did you have an epidural?

6. Jsunny

Jsunny Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hi, I wonder if you could share how your tinnitus is now? I got onset tinnitus 3 weeks after giving birth to my first child and your story is the only one that I found so similar to what I have been through.

It has been almost 3 months since I got it and the first 8-10 weeks was really tough emotionally. I am trying to be more accepting now and long for the habituation to happen but I am still experiencing spikes after spikes due being sleep deprived with a baby. Having trouble falling asleep due to tinnitus and I know it affects it more negatively. What did you do to fall asleep?

• Hug Hug x 1
    7. Dejana Cucak

Dejana Cucak Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Postpartum
      Hi jsunny, did your tinnitus improve over time? I have a similar problem, 4 weeks postpartum...

8. Shelby Bossert

Shelby Bossert Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Postpartum & Breastfeeding
      Has anyone in this thread seen improvement with their tinnitus? I'm in a similar situation, going on 4 months with tinnitus. Hoping that breastfeeding and a normalization of hormones will help level things out.

9. CC_16

CC_16 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Upper respiratory infection
      I am confused. What is the reason behind pregnancy and ringing in ears? How do we prevent this?

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    10. makeyourownluck
      Magical

makeyourownluck Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I think the pushing causes increased intracranial pressure, and/or oxygen starvation to the inner ear (some people also experience this after certain breathing techniques). Hormones also go crazy during the birth.

Prevention would be to learn proper breathing techniques. Speaking from experience though, after the first contraction everything I learnt/wanted flew out the window. When the nurses said push, I pushed. Nothing you can do about the hormones.

• Informative Informative x 1
    11. CC_16

CC_16 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      So would giving birth worsen tinnitus?

Omg I shouldn’t think of getting pregnant then...

12. CC_16

CC_16 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      How are you now?

13. makeyourownluck
      Magical

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Sadly, it can, but not for everyone. As with all things tinnitus, it’s just the luck of the draw.

Having a child is a such a joy though. I’m so glad I managed to have my daughter (unplanned) before onset. I have the luxury of stopping at one without any risk of making mine tinnitus worse. Don’t know what I would do if I hadn’t had any kids yet. It would be a very tough decision for me.

• Agree Agree x 1
    14. CC_16

CC_16 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Did you get ringing after you gave birth? Do you have it bad or moderately?

15. makeyourownluck
      Magical

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Luckily my tinnitus began when my daughter was 4, but I’ve done a bit of digging on the subject just in case I decided to have another child down the road. I came to the decision that it would be too risky for me, but another health issue that also influenced my decision. Not trying to put you off having a child here, my daughter is the best thing that ever happened to me, despite her voice being one of the few things that irritates in my ears lol.

I had no ear issues while pregnant/postpartum, but a friend of mine got tinnitus in one ear at 30 weeks pregnant. It resolved 6 weeks after the birth. You just never know.

I would say my tinnitus is moderate. Definitely not mild, but livable. My main issue is the ear fullness/hearing loss.

• Like Like x 1
    16. CC_16

CC_16 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      What other health issues do you have?

i would say this is my main one.

Is yours constant or does it come and go? Can you hear it at work? Outdoors? Is it in 1 or 2 ears?

Just curious.

I was passionate about having a child but now I am scared. The guy I am talking to definitely wants children, and I am worried about flying now as well.

17. makeyourownluck
      Magical

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I have an autoimmune condition and sciatica. They really mess with my mobility so looking after a toddler would be very difficult.

Mine is constant and caused by hearing loss. I don’t work and am currently on disability because of my health issues. I hear my tinnitus outside and it is in both ears.

No doubt thousands of women with tinnitus go on to have perfectly normal pregnancies, with no change to their tinnitus. Everything’s a risk though, even going to work, which is far less rewarding than having a baby. I hate how this condition makes us so fearful.

How long have you had tinnitus? Are you habituated?

• Agree Agree x 1
    18. CC_16

CC_16 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I have had tinnitus since March. Hoping it will go away soon!

How is your hearing loss then? Did the tinnitus appear 1st or did the hearing loss appear 1st?

I can’t stay at home daily. If I did I, I would keep thinking about my health and I would go crazy. I need to go to work to keep myself busy.

Is your man supportive of you?

19. makeyourownluck
      Magical

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      You’ve not had it very long then. There’s a good chance of it resolving for you. My tinnitus appeared, then my ear felt full, then the hearing loss happened. My hearing loss is not terrible, but it does make understanding people a bit difficult at times.

My daughters dad is fantastic. He has been a great support. Some of my family have also been great. I’m quite lucky in that respect.

20. Jsunny

Jsunny Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I'm feeling great, thank you for asking. I still do have the same tinnitus as before. But I am no longer bothered by it as much and can sleep and enjoy life. After 6 months of tinnitus I started get used to it. Now it is almost 9 months since onset.

• Agree Agree x 1
    21. Lane

Lane Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Single 25 mg dose of (anticholinergic) drug Promethazine
      The following Tinnitus Talk thread Candida, Sugar and Tinnitus describes how candida can be connected to a host of health issues, including tinnitus.

I just watched a video The ONLY Way to Cure Candida for Good which describes in detail how anything that increases alkalinity in the body can cause a candida overgrowth. The video starts where he says pregnancy is one of those things. Stress is another, which seems almost guaranteed to increase during pregnancy. Seems candida overgrowth is something to strongly consider when trying to track down the reason(s) for tinnitus caused by pregnancy.

@Kirstystired, @Jsunny.