Tinnitus and Altitude?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Jeannine, May 5, 2016.

1. Jeannine

Jeannine Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Don't know. I am deaf in both ears but don't use hearing aid
      Hi, I'm new to this thread. I have always lived with noise and masked it subconsciously, not realising I had tinnitus until I took up yoga and was told to lie and enjoy the silence. What silence. That's when I realised I had tinnitus. I spend my life with sound around me to mask the ringing in my ears or to distract me from it. I lived in the upper Blue Mountains for many years and my tinnitus was overwhelming. At times I felt physically ill from it. I have moved to the inner west of Sdney where it is hectic, noisy and life is better, I can forget about my tinnitus for days at a time. I have been reading the posts and do believe that negativity makes it worse but I have wondered whether altitude might also play a part in making it worse. Does anyone know if there is any literature on this theory. Thanks for all the posts, I don't feel so alone. Jeannine

2. billie48
      Sunshine

billie48 Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure
      Welcome to the forum. There is some merit to hearing loss while doing rapid descent often from high altitude. Here is an article covering the subject of high altitude, tinnitus and hearing loss. Perhaps when you move to the city, the barometric pressure stays stable and you have tons of noises from the surrounding to mask T, and there are just too many distractions in city life for the brain to focus on T while you are busy and hearing many environment noises at the same time. Here is the article. Take care & God bless.

http://ispub.com/IJORL/11/1/12023

• Agree Agree x 1