Tinnitus and Arthritis in Neck/Jaw

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Penelope Craig, May 18, 2019.

1. Penelope Craig

Penelope Craig Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hi! I just happened upon this site. I have suffered severe tinnitus since probably February, 2019. I have arthritis in my neck and TMJ. I have fullness in my head all the time.

I went to an ENT this week and right ear has impacted wax and she has me on a regimen of hydrogen peroxide and baby oil to soften the wax so she can remove it.

Had a hearing test by an audiologist and have normal hearing.

I also have hypothyroidism which I take Synthroid. I just read that thyroid disease can affect tinnitus.

I receive massages and am looking for a musculoskeletal massage therapist.

Even thinking of CBD oil.

I just want it to go away. I guess we all do. Thanks for being out there and sharing your stories.

2. Mathew Gould

Mathew Gould Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Neck/Jaw misalignment
      First I would go to your dentist and get a splint/night guard and have them do those 3D scans of your jaw. Is your neck stiff? Did you lose range of motion in you're neck?

3. Lane

Lane Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Single 25 mg dose of (anticholinergic) drug Promethazine
      I used to have chronic fullness and pressure in my head for years. A lot of self-massage, uppper cervical chiropractic and other neck techniques helped a lot with the structural issues. Doing a technique called nasal specific also helped. Topical DMSO applications on my neck was also critical, as it reduced the pain and inflammation in my whole upper back and head areas.

I have hypothyroidism as well. I was initially given a prescription for synthroid, which was a disaster for me. I felt superhyped up for several days after taking only one dose. I can easily see how it could cause tinnitus for some, and exacerbate it for others. I eventually got a prescription for for a thyroid extract (NatureThroid) which I feel would probably be better for most people. Something you may want to experiment with, just in case the Synthroid could be causing or affecting your tinnitus. -- All the Best...

4. Mathew Gould

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Neck/Jaw misalignment
      What topical DMSO product did you use?

5. Lane

Lane Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @Mathew Gould -- I bought mine on eBay at THIS LINK. Just to mention, there's lots of DMSO product forumulas (such as gentler lotions) that might be better than the pure DMSO I use, so you may want to do some shopping around on that to see if there are certain products that might suit your needs better. -- To review more information and instructions on how to use it, see the following post...

DMSO & Magnesium Oil for Tonic Tensor Tympani Syndrome (TTTS)

6. Mathew Gould

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Neck/Jaw misalignment
      These DMSO's just get put directly on the skin I take it?? Are these better than the 4% OTC Lidocaine patches? Any chance these could make tinnitus worse or better by reducing inflammation?

7. Lane

Lane Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Yes.

I really wouldn't know how to do a comparison. I will say however, that I don't expect to ever do any Lidocaine patches. They leave behind very high amounts of coal tar, which has been shown to cause cancer.

So far, I've heard of Gingko Biloba and Citrulline Malate decreasing tinnitus volume for some, and increasing it for others. That seems to be the case with anything that improves circulation. So I would say yes, there is a chance it could make the tinnitus worse. But I don't think it would last more than a few hours or so, as I can't imagine any kind of significant damage being done.