Tinnitus and Computers

Discussion in 'Support' started by Zeo, Dec 27, 2013.

1. barnacle
      Worried

barnacle Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise et al.
      Sorry to hear about the tinnitus. I've had it now since last September and am slowly going mad but trying to stay sane. Hope that your T lessens over time.
      BTW It is too late to take a case to an employment tribunal I think (as 11 months on from resigning). But you have two years from time of injury to take the employer to a civil court and claim damages. Might be worth speaking to a solicitor. I know that T can be expensive and extra moneny can help, though taking a case can be stressful. From what you say, sounds like you might have a good case.

2. Helmut83
      Insomnious

Helmut83 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Initially, loud noises
      I'd like to resucitate this thread to tell my experience.

I use the computer a lot, I've always done. Since 2011 I've had low tinnitus due to exposure to loud noise during a rock concert, but nothing to do with computers.

Now a couple of months ago my notebook broke down so I bought another one (from a new, little known Argentine brand named Kelyx which is very cheap) a few weeks later. Not long after that I noticed my tinnitus increased considerably (then it suddenly got worse because of an impedance test a doctor sent me but that's not the point of this post) and I couldn't figure out the cause. I hadn't been exposed to loud sounds -I'm very careful with that-, I hadn't been nervous, the posture had been the same as usual... I asked myself what had changed in my life recently, and the only answer possible was the new notebook.

Now, at first I refused to believe this could be the cause, partly due to the fact that I didn't want to not be able to use the computer I had just bought, and partly due to the fact that it sounds crazy. The notebook is really silent. I thought I was being hypochondriac and my mind was playing tricks on me. However, at one point I went five days without using the new notebook and on the 4th and 5th day I'm pretty sure the tinnitus got slightly better and the hyperacusis went a lot better. As I said, I supposed the causes would be others and went back to using my notebook, but just a while after as I sat down at it... again, loud tinnitus and the sensation of being a bit dazed.

The following week I tried the same thing, I went 5 or 6 days without using the new notebook and the T was starting to feel a bit better. Today I tried the notebook again, and same effect.

Call me crazy, but I'm pretty sure the notebook is causing my tinnitus. I reckon maybe it's due to sounds in higher frequencies than what the human ear can hear, as, again, when you listen to it it's super silent. I couldn't tell the cause for sure, but what I'm sure about is that one month and a half ago I only had a slight tinnitus and since I got my notebook my tinnitus is much, much worse. So I'm not going to risk it anymore; I'll try to resell the notebook, swap it, whatever and try to get something else.

I wouldn't generalize and agree with other users about all computers being bad, the level of radiation, etc… I'm pretty sure it's this specific device. I've always been around computers of all kinds and other electronic devices and never any of them seemed to cause any damage to me, only this one.

3. McCall

McCall Member

Tinnitus Since:
      unsure
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      I have several doctoral degrees and am a physician surgeon. I have tinnitus which is relatively recent onset. There are some observations that I wish to make as a scientist. First, I am not looking for zebras. More simply not every sound of horse hoofs is a zebra sometimes it just a horse.

From my observations I note the following:
      1) T occurs more frequently in secretaries, heavy computer users, and people with back and neck pain.
      2) I know for a fact that reading intensely for hours can cause neuropraxias in neck and back. It can affect the plexus between the shoulder blades and can even damage motor function to the arms. A person for example suffering from chronic neck and upper back pain from reading or computers is often surprised that one of their arms will collapse when attempting a pushup.
      3) Since the rise in tinnitus is associated with these kinds of computer, reading and typing activities, it is in a way similar to carpel tunnel.
      4) Tinnitus is a nerve problem. Cranial nerve VIII is vestibulocochlear nerve. the nerve innervates both the cochlear nerve, vestibular nerve. Not surprisingly may with Tinnitus also have occasional labyrinths. Thus Tinnitus is more likely a disease of inflammation that is persistent because the human activity causing the inflammation is consistent.
      5) Additionally it is worth noting that the sufferer of Tinnitus also generally suffers from a lack of accommodation of the eye which has been associated with computer screens. This causes blurred vision and presbyopia even in younger workers.
      6) There is a significant discussion that vestibular problems are a result of crosslinking of the vestibular stones and cochlear nerve. Of course inflammation causes crosslinking.

Causes of inflammation of the nerves: Viruses, bacteria, impingement, and meningitis type symptoms. I am not looking for zebras here. No I DO NOT SUBSCRIBE TO EMG as the cause of Tinnitus. What I will say is that if you study carpal tunnel you will note that the impingement is on the distal wrist but the never pain can ride as high as both shoulders.

The same thing applies to the cranial nerves. Some innervate the neck, subglossal areas, etc. So inflammation from the neck could in fact radiate up and proximal to the cranial nerves. Computer related neck and upper back pain can be quite severe and unremitting. Those motor and sensory nerves also proximate the cranial nerves and can cause proximate inflammation.

One of the more surprising aspects of chronic computer related back and neck pain is that sleeping in bed does not relieve it. In fact morning stiffness is very common even neck kinking. This almost endless negative feedback pain system simply causes more inflammation and more pain.

Here is how you can test this. If you have these chronic symptoms, focus on your Tinnitus and simply tip your head backward looking more upward. Chances are the symptoms of your Tinnitus will get worse or more simply louder. Move it very slowly.

Any strategy that does not relieve the neck and back inflammation will not allow the cranial nerves to tame down. It would take 3 months for a typical nerve to heal from a neuropraxia. Could Creatine supplements be of benefit? Research is conflicting if not compelling. Glutamine has been shown to reduce soreness over a 96 hour resting period.

The notion of using more muscles to relieve the weaker strap muscles fatigue is also a strategy. For this I would suggest three exercises: Bench press, squats and deadlifts. I would not use particularly heavy weights but limit the reps to no more than three sets of five. The purpose is to spread the duties of the smaller fatigued muscles to the larger muscle groups. This recruitment allows the smaller muscles to rest and recover while the larger muscle assume some of the skeletal positioning and motor duties.

Warm baths and whirlpools may relieve muscle spasms allowing for improved recovery as well.

If inflammation is not stopped then cross linking will occur and nerve damage could become chronic and progressive. The good news is that while nerves are slow growing, they are quite resilient. Most people that work on a computer do have periods of the year where their pain goes into remission. Of course this is healing and when they feel better, they go back to the worst habits. They squint at screens, lean their necks forward and fire up the inflammation again.

Worse, every one of you knows that chronic neck and upper and even lower back soreness. Computer addicts almost all have meningitis type symptoms the full length of the spine. There are no super chairs or proper ergonomic placements or keyboards that can correct for insane computer overuse. Sadly the very traits that make Computer people so important are their ability to focus for long periods of time and concentrate. Mere mortals who check their emails twice a week, don't have your brainpower or your work ethic. More simply a brilliant high powered mind is capable of treating the body like a prisoner in a labor camp. The mind doesn't stop so why should the body be allowed by the brain to stop? So you treat your body like a plow horse beating it until it starts to fail.

One thing about Einstein's brain that was different from other smart brains is that Einstein had more glial cells to insulate the neurons and reduce inflammation. When a typical smart brain focuses, the body temp can rise and can even damage neurons. Bertram Russell after he tried to apply symbolic logic to math was never quite the same. He had a bit of a brain meltdown. A powerful brain needs discipline too. Do not melt your body down just because you have a runaway freight train for a brain. The brain and body need recovery and cool down time. Rule of thumb... don't focus your brain for more than one hour without applying an hour of brain and body rest. Issac Newton and Einstein were both noted for working for about an hour then taking long slow walks of an hour or two in length. Einstein walked with his friend... Kurt Gödel and Newton walked with his dog Diamond. Newton of course was a super genius. So was Maxwell but Maxwell burned out and died young. Maxwell was known for working 16 hours straight with no breaks even for food. Newton had several breakdowns showing that the powerful mind can treat the body with reckless abandon.

• Informative Informative x 3
      • Like Like x 2
    4. Kekistan

Kekistan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Ok I don't know if this could be the cause of my tinnitus that started last week but if it is what can be done?

5. Batman

Batman Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Mac computer
      So glad I read these tonight, for some time t was real bad,got better (no campus, not much tv tuned out earphones, wearing earplugs when I walk beside traffic, ) stayed away from college campus for a long long time, tonight though went to computer lab to print stuff off, used mac computer with the very large screen and bam, here I am lying in bed with the ringing again. No more Macs for me ever, even though they are the best (mac air) will stick with windows gratefully, thanks guys, I'm cured of this ring! Eskimo from Alaska! Also great job on the doctor who wrote a script in this section

6. Kelvin

Kelvin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      June 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Dental Work

Thanks for this. its so interesting.
      As an architect using CAD I recognise so much in this. Millions of small precise computer movements year on year. Chronic neck pain, jaw stiffness. Poor eyesight - Presbyopia....et al.
      My T was 'triggered' at a dental visit but I believe this was due to pressure on my already stressed and sore jaw. it was in effect the straw that broke the camels back ?
      Are there ways to reduce inflammation safely ?

7. Kelvin

Kelvin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      June 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Dental Work
      Just interested was it a 27 inch Imac. Whats interesting about this is that the computers electronic components are lifted to head height and not under a desk in a box...!

• Like Like x 1
    8. Batman

Batman Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Mac computer
      Unknown, very large,,,

9. Kelvin

Kelvin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      June 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Dental Work
      Ohhh The BIG Mac !!:LOL:

10. Louise Topp

Louise Topp Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Few months
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear wax
      Mine seems to increase a bit sat at my PC. Perhaps its the way I hold my head?

11. Danig

Danig Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      There seems to be, unfortunately, no certainty so far as to the possible causal relation between T and computer usage (be it by noise, EMF or ergonomics). But if that was the case, the historical data on T prevalence should show a dramatic increase over the last few decades, in tune with the same increase in daily computer usage by the population over that period of time.

12. Suzerman

Suzerman Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10 october 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably a mix of ETD and TMJ
      O think it's more related to your posture when you use the computer than radiation. My tinnitus gets louder if I slouch forward and bend my neck forward

• Agree Agree x 1
    13. Danig

Danig Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Looks like you may have some form of somatic tinnitus. That's not the most usual type of tinnitus AFAIK, but you might be right that computer work stresses our neck/shoulders/back in a way that can contribute to developing (or reinforcing) some types of tinnitus. I can also tell you that I usually end my working days with stiff neck and shoulders, even if I try to keep a good posture most of the time.

14. josf3
      No Mood

josf3 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1-25-17
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      L citrulline
      I will say this after spending an hour on my laptop my tinnitus definetly increases every time but this does not happen if using my ipad or phone.

• Like Like x 1
    15. Nics2drescue
      Inspired

Nics2drescue Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I agree with the iMac assumption. I work in an office full of iMacs, but only for two days of the week, Monday and Friday, the rest of the days I work from home on a small Windows laptop. Every Monday and Friday I come home with louder high pitched T, every week, without fail. So for example I went in this morning (today being Monday) my T was low enough from being off at the weekend, no high pitch, and after sitting at my iMac for a couple of hours, low and behold the high pitched T started again. This then stays with me for the rest of the day and I might have it really bad then for the next day or two, it's usually bad on a Tuesday and then calms down a little on a Wednesday and Thursday. I go back into the office on a Friday and my high pitched T comes back. Oddly enough last week I worked Tuesday in the office, so around the iMac of course and my T was really bad Tuesday and terrible Wednesday. But then it calmed down Thursday, I also worked from home on the Friday of last week (usually work in the office) and my T was low that Friday (as opposed to generally very high on a Friday). My T then stayed low enough for the weekend and we're back to Monday again.

Thus I feel the iMac has an effect on my T, somewhat. I don't think it's a coincidence that it gets quite high the days after I use the iMac. I've had T for 10 months although have worked with iMacs for 6+ years so I know the iMac didn't cause the T but it has an effect on it. I wonder why the smaller Windows laptop doesn't have as much of an effect? Mind boggling, just like T.