Tinnitus and Hearing Loss from a Kiss on the Ear

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Staceyyy, May 25, 2018.

1. Staceyyy

Staceyyy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      3/102018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      SSHL from a kiss on the ear
      A friend of mine gave me a kiss goodbye on my ear... I instantly felt extreme pain, got tinnitus/sensitivity to sound, and lost hearing in my left ear... The sensitivity to sound seems to have gotten better, but the tinnitus has not improved in the slightest way. This happened about 3 months ago... My doctor stated a trauma occurred, and there's really nothing that could be done.

Has anyone had anything like this occur?

Do you think the tinnitus/hearing nerve can heal over time?

I'm having a really hard time dealing with this... I can't believe something so stupid could cause this much misery.

I feel like its never going to get better and the constant ringing drives me absolutely insane. Any advice/input would be greatly appreciated.

• Hug Hug x 3
      • Like Like x 1
    2. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      Yup, I've read this exact same description in here before.

It's anyone's guess. It's an acoustic trauma, and it's quite unpredictable. In many cases, it does fade though.

Good luck!

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Staceyyy

Staceyyy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      3/102018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I'm hopeful one day it will eventually get better... It's been such a struggle. I haven't been able to get in contact with anyone who has had this happen to them. It would be interesting to know if any of their symptoms ever improved.

4. Contrast
      No Mood

Contrast Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      How loud was the freakin kiss, but seriously terribly sorry to hear that, hope your tinnitus fades.

How bad or noticeable is your hearing loss?

5. Champ
      Woot

Champ Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma from headphones
      I've actually heard of this happening before, and I've HAD women (usually older) try this on me. I don't know why people think it's cute or funny but it literally is like putting a plunger in a toilet and vacuuming everything out. It can easily mess your hearing up even if they're not trying to do the sucking kiss on the ear that hard.

• Informative Informative x 1
    6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Staceyyy

Staceyyy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      3/102018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I have mild to moderate low frequency hearing loss... The hearing loss isn't too bad. I struggle in large groups with background noise. I can deal with the hearing loss, the tinnitus is the worst part of it all

7. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      When the sound source is close to your ear canal (or in your ear canal), the most innocuous sound can turn into an acoustic trauma, especially if the conditions are such that the ear canal is sealed (as it can happen with a kiss), as the pressure exerted onto the ear drum can then be quite intense.

8. Tom71

Tom71 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Possibly allergies
      Hi

I understand for most people it does get better, either it decreases, goes away, or your brain adapts and you don't notice it nearly as much

9. 1MW
      No Mood

1MW Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2008 but cured and relapsed from benzos
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ssnhl/benzos/unknown
      Can you post your audiogram?
      Can you describe the tinnitus sound you have?

10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Staceyyy

Staceyyy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      3/102018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Here is a copy of my audiogram. The tinnitus I am experiencing almost sounds like white noise w/a little ringing that seems to be in the lower to mid frequencies. Its pretty loud, but not has high pitch as what some people describe.

Attached Files:

11. dingaling
      Asleep

dingaling Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown, probably loud music
      To be honest, I've never seen/heard of this before, so a new one on me. And the audiogram is definately atypical of acoustic trauma

Hope your hearing and T get better

• Helpful Helpful x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    12. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Staceyyy

Staceyyy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      3/102018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      It's been about 7 months now, and I am still struggling with pretty bad low frequency tinnitus. I've also been experiencing a ton of pressure/pain. I don't even know how to describe it... It almost feels like somebody is squeezing the inside of my ear.

Does anybody else experience severe pressure and pain? I'm just trying to figure out what's causing it... Is it the hearing loss itself or is there some sort of problem nobody has been able to detect?

• Hug Hug x 1
    13. PlsHelpMe
      Dead

PlsHelpMe Member

Tinnitus Since:
      June 28th, 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      A friend shot a cap gun into my ear. (Once)
      • Like Like x 1
    14. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Staceyyy

Staceyyy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      3/102018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I did previously come across that article. I can deal with the hearing loss, but low frequency tinnitus is miserable.

15. PlsHelpMe
      Dead

PlsHelpMe Member

Tinnitus Since:
      June 28th, 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      A friend shot a cap gun into my ear. (Once)
      From my experience, your mind will get use to it. What you could do is read articles about curing hearing loss or tinnitus. So that you have hope and don’t worry and/or stressed out. Most important of all is to protect your ears.

16. Egg

Egg Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/6/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma (Concert)
      Hi, I was wondering how you have been after this incident. I also recently received a kiss and hence a a high pitched addition to my existing low pitched tinnitus. But with my base low pitch, I am very used to it now and it's become very unintrusive since it began.

17. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Staceyyy

Staceyyy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      3/102018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unfortunately I am still struggling but I have moderate hearing loss from it. Hopefully if you don't have hearing loss yours will return to baseline. Low pitched tinnitus isn't fun. I'm hoping one day there will be a cure.

18. Egg

Egg Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/6/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma (Concert)
      Hi, so I'm not sure if this will be helpful to you at all but my spike is basically gone now! Hopefully yours will go away with time too

19. Clint Azzopardi
      Woot

Clint Azzopardi Member

Tinnitus Since:
      October 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure, Gentamicin or allaergy or both !
      Prednisone might (actually will!) help if there is inflammation in the nerve.

Prednisone improved my hearing yet my tinnitus remained. Best to remain calm, I know it sucks but try to remain calm (I know it's easier said than done, in my early days I was hitting myself with a belt to take my mind off tinnitus, but I'm much better now, you WILL be better, trust me (I still hate my tinnitus with a passion though).