Tinnitus and Hyperacusis After One Loud Night Close to Speakers

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Malcolm_, Mar 14, 2022.

1. Malcolm_

Malcolm_ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      One loud night
      Hi. I'm Malcolm, and I'm 22. I developed tinnitus and hyperacusis after one loud night close to the speakers in mid January 2022. There were over 100 people at the party, and yet somehow I'm the only one stuck with the tinnitus and hyperacusis. It's been exactly 2 months from the onset. I've been prescribed Betaserc 2x24 mg by the ENT along with HBO therapy. Unfortunately due to mistake made by HBO staff, I'm going to start the therapy 2 months in instead of 2 weeks in. I'm worried it's too late now. It doesn't cost me anything besides fuel to commute (I live in Poland), so I think it's worth trying anyway.

After one month, including 2 weeks of taking vitamins and Betaserc, the tinnitus and hyperacusis were mostly gone. Not fully, but they went from 4-5/10 to 1-2/10, which I considered an absolute win. It was silent enough to carry on my daily life. The silence lasted 3 weeks. I was so happy I even wanted to post a success story here.

Unfortunately, last Wednesday I noticed both the tinnitus and hyperacusis are back to 4-5/10. I don't know why. I took care of my ears. I can't recall any event that could trigger it. I've been to movie theater twice and took 2 pills of Ibuprofen, but my ears were completely fine after that. It's mostly screaming and fullness/deafness/something other (not sure) in the left ear, but a bit in the right one too. I'm having hard time sleeping. I can't focus on studying. To be honest, I can't focus on anything. I just want to lay in bed and cry. I miss the silence in the bed after long, busy day.

Thanks for reading. Stay strong.

• Hug Hug x 1
      • Useful Useful x 1
    2. Simon85

Simon85 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Nov 2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably noise exposure, but unknown.
      @Malcolm_, lean on some sleeping meds in the short term if sleep is an issue. I know it’s hard, but it’s also very important to keep busy - throw yourself into work, your studies, a hobby, computer games... something (anything) that keeps your mind occupied. It’s also very likely that the volume will go down again from this spike, so give it some time.

3. Samy

Samy Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      Hello, @Malcolm_. We are in very similar situations, unfortunately. Even the onset of mine was end of january. My situation was improving, but I made the mistake to take a 2 h roadtrip and now I’m having what I think is a spike since Friday night... I’m feeling awful. Did you go to the movie theater without protection? Listened to loud music using earbuds?