Tinnitus and Hyperacusis After Pfizer COVID-19 Vaccine — Life Has Become a Struggle

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by TheHonoredOne, Jul 30, 2021.

1. TheHonoredOne

TheHonoredOne Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Vaccine
      Hello,

Just wanted to introduce myself onto the forums. I had the 2nd dose of the Pfizer COVID-19 vaccine and immediately developed tinnitus in both ears. The volume was an initial hiss of 3/10 severity. As the days went on, I also got an external ear infection, had to clear the wax from my ears, and the tinnitus got louder to 6/10.

I was managing it for two months, but soon, I started developing ear spasming similar to Tonic Tensor Tympani Syndrome. This was accompanied by a sudden increase in sensitivity over the course of a week to strong hyperacusis.

Noises that I would not even blink at now sound extremely loud to me and cause me distress. I cannot wear earplugs as they are too painful for my ears and the scraping sound as I put them in my ears is too loud. I can wear earmuffs but only for short periods of time as they squeeze my head too tightly.

Everyday tasks have become debilitating and my life has become a struggle to deal with. When I first got the condition, I felt miserable, but I habituated after a month. However, when I got hyperacusis, my life became suffering. I am not going to suicide, but I do feel such a degree of pain that I contemplate it a lot.

I am still learning to manage this condition, but I just wanted to join the forums so I have people to talk to that are in similar positions. I feel like only those who also suffer from these things are capable of understanding how bad they are.

Nice to Meet You All.

• Hug Hug x 12
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    2. SD7
      Angry

SD7 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Mid /June 2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Vaccine + Noise
      Sorry you’re going through this. There's a good chance it will fade. Your story is similar to mine; replace ear infection with noise. I think the vaccine made my ears way more sensitive after giving me tinnitus.

3. Simon85

Simon85 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Nov 2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably noise exposure, but unknown.
      Hi there. Sorry to hear you’re struggling. Please keep in mind that you’re likely to get better, though it may take 6 months, a year, perhaps two years. I had terrible pain hyperacusis in the beginning - flicking light switches or the clanking of cutlery would result in stabbing ear sensations. My hyperacusis resolved after 6 months, but I still have some (much reduced) tinnitus at the 8 month mark. My hope is that it’ll almost completely fade away by 2 years in.

Keep in mind that you’re not alone in this experience of tinnitus and hyperacusis. It’s unfortunately a well trodden path and impacts millions of people. Most will get better. Please make sure to put enough time aside for self care, distract yourself if you can, get enough sleep and protect your ears. I’d also suggest some magnesium supplements if you aren’t currently talking any. In 6 months to a year you’re likely to feel much better.

• Funny Funny x 1
    4. Juan

Juan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Several causes
      That's why I will not get vaccinated. Pharma companies created a series of vaccines in a rush, and issues and side effects are hidden by governments and way underreported.

There's even totally healthy people that got vaccinated and died afterwards.

• Agree Agree x 6
      • Like Like x 1
    5. Brian Newman

Brian Newman Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Shooting/loud noise
      Did you get your hearing tested? If you have no hearing loss, this is a good sign and your symptoms could fade. Hyperacusis and tinnitus usually get much better for most people, however people getting it from COVID-19 and the vaccine are still new news and there is no research behind it at all. I would probably say your body will adapt and your tinnitus will get less intrusive and your hyperacusis will get much better with time.

I feel so bad for people who get this from a vaccine that’s supposed to help. That’s the worst thing ever, you are not the only one, I have seen hundreds of posts of people who got it or made their ear problems worse.

Be patient and protect your ears, do not take any chances with loud noise. Make sure you do not over protect though, try to listen to low music, TV, stuff like that so your ears don’t get more sensitive.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    6. Juan

Juan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Several causes
      It seems ear problems are a common result from the vaccine but no one tells about it in the media.

7. Brian Newman

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Shooting/loud noise
      I know, nobody says anything in the media, all this COVID-19 crap is political nonsense and parties are trying to trick people and deceive people to get more power. Some people see through it but a majority do not unfortunately.

8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      TheHonoredOne

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Vaccine
      @Brian Newman, I had perfect hearing after the vaccine according to an audiologist that did a hearing test on me. A month later, I accidentally was playing a video on my laptop when my speakers were set to max volume and it was a rather high frequency of sound and I got blasted by it for 3 seconds before I could pause the video. It was like a ssssss frequency. I am wondering if this led to my hyperacusis worsening significantly (although that didn't happen until three weeks after).

Two weeks after this I had another hearing test still good, but there was a 5 dB drop from before at the 4 kHz frequency. It was at 15 dB if I recall, but my heartbeat and breathing was really loud since I was scared of being exposed to any loud noises at the doctors office a few minutes earlier and my tinnitus was loud too so it's possible I just couldn't make it out from all the background noise.

9. Juan

Juan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Several causes
      I think citizens have the right to know how much money is spent in the vaccines and exactly who is getting that money, who are the current shareholders and stakeholders in pharma companies and producers dealing with the vaccines and the vaccination process.

• Like Like x 1
    10. SD7
      Angry

SD7 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Mid /June 2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Vaccine + Noise
      This is almost exactly my story. Incredible.

I just had an audiogram yesterday and my high frequency hearing is substantially stronger.

What video did you play?

• Informative Informative x 1
    11. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      TheHonoredOne

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Vaccine
      @SD7, the video is behind a login wall since it was for school so I can't give you a link. I can probably record it and send it to you but I need to use a laptop for that and my hyperacusis is so bad I can't stand the clack of the keyboard. I will try and get it to you later when I manage to be able to use my laptop.

12. SD7
      Angry

SD7 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Mid /June 2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Vaccine + Noise
      @TheHonoredOne don't worry. My whole theory is that at least in my case the vaccine made my ears more sensitive to noise. After my second Pfizer shot on May 15th I had ringing in my ears starting May 18th.

A whole month went by no problem it was so benign and out of the way.

I then made a huge mistake I read online if you play a tone similar to your tinnitus it can temporarily give relief. I randomly type in 6000 Hz in YouTube and play it on my phone. Not max volume, less than 50 although somewhat close to my face for 5 seconds. Ringing started 2 days later with hyperacusis following thereafter.

13. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      TheHonoredOne

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Vaccine
      @SD7, I have the exact same theory. I noticed after the vaccine, but before I blasted my ears, everything was louder and things like kitchenware were bothering me. I definitely believe it made the ears more sensitive.

14. SD7
      Angry

SD7 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Mid /June 2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Vaccine + Noise
      I didn’t really connect the dots at the time. My girlfriend and I go for walks on this trail and we used to wear masks. The week following my second shot we went unmasked and I remember the people who are on bikes when they brake really bothered me. Moreover, I’ve had an internet modem underneath me since the pandemic started and I’ve never heard it before but could hear it after.

The good news is that there’s a size-able minority of people with tinnitus and hyperacusis post vaccine. The odd thing about our case while our ears were sensitive we heard a pretty unnatural sound. I’m hopeful things will resolve, I don’t mind being tormented as long as it eventually ends.

Not sure where you are in the timeline or how close our afflictions are but if it makes you feel better my tinnitus has dropped significantly as of late.

15. Brian Newman

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Shooting/loud noise
      Hmmm I also heard the vaccine causes neural inflammation that can cause tinnitus as well.

But my friend got the vaccine yesterday and called me freaking out how his ears are ringing and he can’t hear anything. It’s crazy. All it takes to set off hyperacusis is a certain noise.

• Agree Agree x 1
    16. SD7
      Angry

SD7 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Mid /June 2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Vaccine + Noise
      All vaccines have side effects and are rare, but SSHL is another side effects. If your friend actually can’t hear, he should go to ER immediately for steroids to recoup any lost hearing.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    17. Brian Newman

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Shooting/loud noise
      Yup, I told him right away to get Prednisone. He went to the ENT the next day.

• Hug Hug x 1
    18. Katrin Einars

Katrin Einars Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/21
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      COVID 19 Vaccination
      Hello, my 15-year-old son got hyperacusis with pain as well as other conditions, light sensitivity and myalgia, shortly after his second vaccination with Pfizer in September 2021. Hyperacusis is most difficult to deal with.

I am so curious to know from you who also got this after the vaccination, how are you doing now?

19. Nick47

Nick47 Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Viral/noise
      My goodness.

• Agree Agree x 2
    20. HopeForAll96

HopeForAll96 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced/ETD/TMJD/Pfizer Vaccine
      I'm currently 9 months in since my COVID-19 vaccine and I don't feel any improvements. I developed a couple of new tones that are reactive and hyperacusis that is worse than normal. Will I recover to where I was before I took the vaccine?

• Hug Hug x 1