Tinnitus and MEM Advice Please!

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Freya, Sep 9, 2018.

1. Freya

Freya Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hearing loss
      Hi

I have moderate to severe hearing loss in my left ear along with tinnitus. I also have MEM (Middle Ear Myoclonus) which affects both ears. The MEM is causing me a lot of stress which then makes it flare up.

Does anybody have any advice for stress busting activities or techniques that might help? Any help very much appreciated

Thanks so much

Freya

2. billie48
      Sunshine

billie48 Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure
      Welcome to the form @Freya.
      Stress busting techniques often recommended by members here are mild exercises such as walking, jogging, hiking or going to the gym. I do those plus having fun with my hobbies such as gardening and fishing. As long as you can stop focusing on your tinnitus with some activities, it will help reduce the stress from T.

Other more technical techniques are CBT, mindfulness meditation etc. You can google search on them or go to youtube to watch some related videos or tutorials.

As for your issue with middle ears myoclonus, if there are not enough responses from this Introduction section, you can post it at the main support forum for more exposure and readership. I recommend you do a search on myoclonus such as this one which have many prior discussion threads on the forum. Take care. God bless.

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/search/2529197/?q=Myoclonus&o=relevance

• Like Like x 1
    3. dieslgrl

dieslgrl Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I use the Widex tinnitus app for masking at night or during meditation. The clicking noise was so disruptive, I was streaming through my hearing aids during all quiet hours. There is a sound setting called forest wind or something like that that was the only thing I was able to listen to that covered up the clicks (better than watching Family Guy for hours on end! Ha!) Try laughing and/or expanding your conscious awareness to include all sensations, rather than putting a microscope on the noises. That helps too.