Tinnitus and Severe Rebound Acid Reflux After Stopping Pantoprazole (Proton Pump Inhibitor)

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Overtheringing, Jan 31, 2024.

1. Overtheringing

Overtheringing Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      PPI rebound
      Hi there!

My doctor prescribed a proton pump inhibitor, Pantoprazole, because of epigastric pain but I didn’t have any heartburn symptoms. The Pantoprazole interacted with another medication I take and gave me horrible side effects. I asked the doctor if I could stop taking it because of the interaction with my other medication. My doctor said yes, you can stop taking it or go to a lower dose of Pantoprazole, but the doctor didn’t warn or explain to me that there would be a possibility of a rebound effect of acid reflux.

I ceased Pantoprazole believing that nothing could happen by ceasing it.

Days later I woke up in the middle of the night with extreme acid reflux in my chest, throat and ear on right side, along with ringing and pressure in the right ear. It felt like a volcano erupted and I’ve never had anything like this in my life.

This was 6 months ago and the problem with my right ear is still there constantly. I’m off proton pump inhibitors and no more acid reflux whatsoever. I had never ever felt acid reflux until ceasing the medication.

Has anyone experienced this and were they lucky enough for their tinnitus to go away?