Tinnitus and Success with Fasting

Discussion in 'Success Stories' started by Ilia, Feb 4, 2020.

1. Ilia

Ilia Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Night Club
      Hello,

I just wanted to share how I got much much better from my noise induced tinnitus.
      The one thing that has helped me a lot is fasting. It turns out that many great things happen to your body when you fast. I recommend you watch the following video about the effects of fasting and give it a try. I has helped me a lot, I presume it will help you as well.

What Really Happens When We Fast?

If you find fasting hard, try intermittent fasting for a few months, then do a full few days long fast.

• Like Like x 2
      • Informative Informative x 2
    2. Lane

Lane Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Single 25 mg dose of (anticholinergic) drug Promethazine
      Hi @Ilia -- Congratulations! and thank you for sharing your success. I totally agree with your tip about intermittent fasting. I average about 18/6 these days, and wish I would started this years ago.

• Agree Agree x 1
    3. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      How many times did you fast (and how long was each fast) before you began experiencing your tinnitus fading?

4. LukeYoung
      Frantic

LukeYoung Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      A loud Concert - Noise Exposure
      I love food too much..

• Like Like x 2
      • Funny Funny x 1
    5. Lane

Lane Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @LukeYoung -- Once I regularly got to 16-18 hrs per day of not eating, I realized that when I did finally eat, I enjoyed food more than ever. Interestingly, I discovered I enjoyed not eating more than ever as well, which I'd never really thought about before. I've now come to believe that eating all day long is hardly more than a habit, and one that for most people, doesn't serve us particularly well.

• Agree Agree x 1
    6. LukeYoung
      Frantic

LukeYoung Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      A loud Concert - Noise Exposure
      I'd love to do it, but i'm trying to gain weight, so eating often is something i must do.

• Winner Winner x 1
    7. Tony Phylactou

Tony Phylactou Member

Tinnitus Since:
      sept 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Cement factory noise lowT,then stress high T
      Liam Boehm recommends dry fasting. He said a lot of people have cured themselves. Dry means no food or drink.

8. Rb86

Rb86 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      5/31/19
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      Ilia can you give us more detail about your onset, time frame, what kind of improvements and how long you've done the fasting?

I lost weight at first, I couldn't eat I was so devastated, but in recent months I eat a lot and I've gained a lot. I hate missing a meal... it's almost as if it's one thing I CAN control so I use food for a bit of comfort... plus being hungry/headaches and lack of energy make tinnitus especially suck when you're working.

9. mrbrightside614

mrbrightside614 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      I don’t doubt OP got better but it’s most likely he got better due to the passage of time rather than by fasting. Intermittent fasting is not a topic that has been objectively validated through scientific study. Autophagy is extremely controversial and I doubt its existence even when concerning 72+hr intervals of fasting.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Ilia

Ilia Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Night Club
      I started with intermittent fasting for a couple of months, then I did a 72 h fast.
      Now I'm doing 16 to 24h fasts regularly.
      I saw the benefits pretty much from the beginning, but each body is unique, therefore it reacts differently.

For those who doubt the effects, I found this video which covers a very large scientific study on the benefits of fasting:

World’s largest Fasting Study (2020) |...

At 7:55 Dr. Françoise Wilhelmi de Toledo explains the effects of fasting on emotional well being.
      I believe this is the key to why fasting improves tinnitus so much.

Other things that I have found to impact tinnitus:

- Sports help (for me, lifting weights in the gym helped a lot)
      - Changing the way you think about your tinnitus helps (there are a lot of resources about this here)
      - Ginkgo Biloba helps
      - With time tinnitus tends to get less annoying

- Coffee makes tinnitus worse
      - Alcohol makes tinnitus worse
      - Needless to say, loud noises make tinnitus worse

So for me getting much better was a combination of the things above, now I can hear my tinnitus very rarely, mostly when I have had coffee during the day, or have had some drinks, and it's only when I go to bed I things get very quiet that I hear it.

And lastly, I just want to say this: I know what you are going through. My tinnitus used to very very bad. For the first year I was devastated and totally depressed. But not anymore. So if I can do it, you can as well! Try the things above and you will see improvement, see what works best for you and stick with it.

• Winner Winner x 1
    11. JasonP
      No Mood

JasonP Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2006
      I haven't eaten anything all day due to a lab I had to fast for plus I didn't eat anything after 10:00 pm last night. My tinnitus seems lower that it was while I was trying to sleep. Could be a coincidence, could be due to something else, I'm not sure. I do however believe that it could help some people with tinnitus.

12. Lane

Lane Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @JasonP -- I read a testimonial a couple years ago by a man who claimed to always experience a complete cessation of tinnitus after fasting for 2-3 days. I don't recall all the details, but he said it always came back after he began eating again. Makes a lot of sense to me for many reasons, based on what I've learned about the many benefits of fasting.

13. JasonP
      No Mood

JasonP Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2006
      Thanks for telling me that. That is very interesting.

• Like Like x 1
    14. Lane

Lane Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @JasonP -- In case you're interested, THIS POST describes how a man from London got rid of his tinnitus after 14 years by using Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM). I think there's clues in his story about why tinnitus can improve from fasting.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    15. JasonP
      No Mood

JasonP Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2006
      Thanks Lane!

• Like Like x 1