Tinnitus at the Movies

Discussion in 'Support' started by Tonia, Feb 6, 2017.

1. Tonia
      Aggressive

Tonia Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Wax removal Via water removal, stress,
      Hey,

Does your T get worse during/after seeing a movie in the movie theaters?

How do you enjoy a movie with out having your T flare up since earplugs are bad for your ears (Pushes wax back)

2. racerfish
      No Mood

racerfish Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise / T worsened with antiobiotics
      If I don't wear earplugs and it's a loud movie, my T spikes temporarily. Earplugs solve the problem for me. I've worn plugs for movies and sleeping for years and have never had ear wax issues.

• Agree Agree x 1
    3. 3ri0w

3ri0w Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2012, H 2016, 12/2018(?)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud noises, ringing came back 12/2018 after 1year of silent
      Yea the wax thing is just a conspiral by Jastreboff etc etc ;) jk

4. Sam Bridge

Sam Bridge Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music/gigs probably
      I havent Tried plugs at the cinema yet and its been fine for me. Everyone's different though.

5. Julien87
      Not amused

Julien87 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure (concert)
      Yes, and cinemas are different too. Some venues play it very loud, some don't.

6. Foncky
      Tired

Foncky Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2004
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Music. Balloon. Genes.
      I would love "hyperacusis" special sessions ;)
      It's been years since I last went to see a movie.

• Agree Agree x 3
    7. NimQ
      Alienated

NimQ Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2011, got worse 09/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      My first onset of T was mild and back then it was quite alright to go to movies, even loud ones (like action movies or so). Never noticed any effect.

However, these days my T is very reactive and I don't think I have the courage go to movies anymore. I used to go regularly and after getting worse reactive T in September, I thought wearing earplugs would protect me and went to the movies for four times. Doctor Strange, A Monster Calls and Fantastic Beasts were all okay - it seemed like my earplugs were protecting me enough. Then in December I went to see Star Wars in the same theatre with those same 30 dB earplugs. This time I could feel it was very loud with all the explosions and stuff. I even took my phone out to measure decibels to decide whether to leave, but it only showed ~80 dB - maybe it isn't even capable of recording those vibrating bass frequencies? Or then my T is just really sensitive. Anyway, it caused a massive spike in my T. Before that my T had stabilized and been gradually getting better, but the movie just sent it back to its worst. Not sure if my T would have remained in the calmer state without that movie, but I didn't have any milder days for weeks - maybe even for a month. So not worth it and I don't think I'll be going to the movies anytime soon.

It is a pity, since it was a very dear hobby of mine and really enjoy the escapism movies provide. Oh well, TV will have to do, for now.

8. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

beliefs are makyo and reality ignores them
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I wear earplugs 8+ hours a day and only once in my life have I had any problems with wax. I think the risks of earplugs are vastly overstated.

9. Elinor
      No Mood

Elinor Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure and barotrauma
      Totally agree with this, except I don't sleep with ear plugs.

10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Tonia
      Aggressive

Tonia Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Wax removal Via water removal, stress,

How long idd it take for your T to go to the 'normal' after you went to see starwars?

11. NimQ
      Alienated

NimQ Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2011, got worse 09/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      The thing is, I can't be sure whether it was a spike or a permanent setback, since it happened when my T was getting better. I only had very mild T in my right ear before last September, when I experienced an acoustic trauma and got T into both of my ears, with reactiveness and multiple frequencies. So during December, when I visited the movies, my T was still very new and I had noticed improvement. Before going to the movie my T had steadily decreased and had already been remarkably silent for many weeks. I suspect it might have even stayed that way or continued to heal, if I didn't go see that movie. I can't be sure of that, of course - but after the Star Wars movie, I haven't gotten to the same stability again. It took perhaps a month to even have better days again, but it hasn't gotten as good as it seemed to be for a couple of weeks before the movie.

So the issue is a bit complex and a lot can only be assumed... Perhaps it was just a temporary good phase interrupted by T spiking or perhaps my T was really getting better and at its vulnerable stage couldn't take the loud movie sounds. Impossible to tell.

12. Jomo

Jomo Member

Tinnitus Since:
      9/4/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      going for a rim shot on the snare drum.
      if you dont wear plugs your crazy...get a pair of custom musician plugs...i wear them every day when riding the subway...best investment I have made

13. Sam Bridge

Sam Bridge Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music/gigs probably
      I think it depends what film your seeing. If its a war movie then yeah wear ear plugs. But if its a comedy or family film i don't bothet.

14. Flamingo1

Flamingo1 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      4-15-2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      Thinking of seethe movies "It." Anyone know if that one's loud?

15. Sean

Sean Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01-01-2011
      My T got worst for may be a month after seeing one loud movie ..after a month it went back to baseline .

16. Darius
      Cloud9

Darius Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I use my Peltor X5A earmuffs at the cinema. Don't care what anyone thinks about it.
      I don't particularly trust the cinemas to be responsible with the volume, and they are know for not caring about the hearing health and safety of their visitors.

I actively avoid cinemas that use the Atmos sound system since they tend to turn the volume up to absurd levels which I'm not comfortable with.

I've recently modified my earmuffs so that I can play Acoustic Coordinated Reset Neuromodulation sounds at a low volume inside of them - which tends to work really well in levitating any sort of sound sensitivity you tend to get when using earbuds or earmuffs over a long period of time.

• Useful Useful x 1