Tinnitus Back Again After Not Noticing It for a Few Years

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by GoingGrayy, May 23, 2019.

1. GoingGrayy

GoingGrayy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      1220hz/1275hz - middle ear pressure/suction
      I developed tinnitus in 2015 after a music concert, a ~16 kHz tone.
      Then I developed a ~1.5 kHz tone in my right ear after an ENT exam/cleaning.

The 16 kHz tone is constant, but responds to 15-17khz external tones (goes away for about 2 mins at a time).
      The 1.5 kHz tone is very variable. Pressuring my ears changes it, pressing my earlobe into my ear changes it, sometimes even just lying on my left side makes it subside/go away completely. I get a similar tone in my left ear when I blow my nose/my ear gets caught pressurised, but then it clears/goes away.

By 2017 I didn't really notice either anymore, but unfortunately this week I was exposed to a very loud noise (trash compactor) and both are back full-force. I believe the 16 kHz tone is back because of the acoustic trauma of the event, and the 1.5 kHz tone I'm just more sensitive to because of hyperacusis (I'm very sensitive/aware of all sounds now).

Any advice welcome.

2. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      https://www.tinnitustalk.com/thread...eone-else-who-has-tinnitus.26850/#post-307822

• Useful Useful x 1
    3. Contrast
      No Mood

Contrast Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
    4. Contrast
      No Mood

Contrast Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      How long have you had hyperacusis?

Is your hyperacusis pain from sound or noises sounding too loud?

5. Digital Doc

Digital Doc Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise induced
      You have suffered a repeat acoustic trauma. Sounds like the tinnitus is noise induced. Folks with tinnitus remain at risk to respike from repeated noise exposure.

Best recommendation is to protect from any additional noise exposure (much easier said than done), and hope it goes away.

6. JohnFox

JohnFox Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown. Sudden loss of 100% hearing R ear with Tinnitus
      Ya know, I have wondered about this too. During my "treatment" with the ENT over my sudden loss of hearing and onset of tinnitus, I was of course given a series of hearing exams. In the beginning the ENT put me on a prednisone treatment. Following that treatment, I was given another hearing exam. When I entered the little cubicle the technician asked me if I felt there was any improvement (I lost all hearing in right ear) in my hearing. I told her that "no, I still cannot hear a thing in my right ear." She proceeded with the test. At one point she inserted a kind of noise plug into my deaf ear telling me to let her know if I experienced anything painful. During the test I did actually hear some input into my right ear. I also at one point felt a vibration in my ear that bothered me and I yanked the plug out telling her that that was too much. Following the test I told her that I indeed heard "something" in my bad ear. She told me "well, I turned it up really loud almost to the "dangerous" level. Your still essentially deaf in that ear." The dangerous level??? What the heck did that mean? I already knew walking in there that I was essentially deaf in that ear. I didn't need some technician to crank up the volume to the "dangerous level" to tell me that. How many ears have these people compromised just so they could present you with some chart telling you how deaf you really are?

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      GoingGrayy

GoingGrayy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      1220hz/1275hz - middle ear pressure/suction
      I've had the hyperacusis since the incident last week. It seems to be getting worse unfortunately.

8. GSC
      Wishful

GSC Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma.
      That's really gross that they'd do that especially when you're trying to regain your hearing. Things like that could've potentially jeopardized the treatments you were going through...