Tinnitus Caused by Ear Plug Pushed In Too Deep — Any Suggested Treatments?

Discussion in 'Support' started by depth77, Nov 8, 2014.

1. depth77

depth77 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Hi all,

If any of the forum members could please advise:

- what is the medical name of the problem I have (what type of tinnitus do I have)
      - what are the best recommended treatments for my specific cause of tinnitus

I can tell you exactly what caused my tinnitus. I was using ear plugs for sleeping because I had noisy neighbors. I was lying on my side putting a lot of weight on my ear, because I was trying to make the ear plug more effective - make things more quiet. This pushed the ear plug deeply into my ear canal with quite a lot of force. I was half asleep at the time, so was not considering the effect on my ear,I just wanted some quiet so I could sleep.When I woke up, I had a loud ringing in my ear. This happened 4 years ago. I have had loud tinnitus since then.

I saw an ENT doctor who confirmed I have no damage to my ear drum.

I do things like avoid caffeine, chocolate, avoid stress as much as possible, get good sleep, take gingko tablets, take 'clear tinnitus" tablets, use white noise. These are all "generic" ways to reduce tinnitus and have helped reduce the severity. Though, I would like to go for some specific treatments that address the root cause of my tinnitus, of pushing ear plugs too hard into my ear canal.

I'm asking if anyone can please advise what is the medical name of the problem I have (what type of tinnitus do I have) and what are the best recommended treatments for my specific cause of tinnitus.

thanks for any answers,

I am going to try ear suction to remove ear wax blockage as a possible cause

2. lapidus

lapidus Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      I would advice to not do the suction thing though. It's better if the clinican can remove earwax manually. The suction is quite loud and not good for people with T as far as I understand.