Tinnitus Caused by Music Production and Concerts

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by RicoSuave, Jan 8, 2020.

1. RicoSuave

RicoSuave Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Music production and concerts
      The first time I ever experienced tinnitus was as a kid when my father would bring me to Monster Truck events. It was temporary, but I sure do remember how annoying the following days were. In 2010, I got into music production and DJing and everything was fine at first, even though I always listened overwhelmingly loud. I'd get temporary tinnitus here and there but it would eventually fade away. The longest I had it in the past was for a week or two after working on a very loud song. As I got older, I'd book more gigs and go to many concerts. I'd always get ringing after going to a club but it would last a day or two.

Recently, after going out a lot, I've been hearing a constant high-pitched 16 kHz tone in my right ear. It rings louder when external sounds above a certain threshold are heard. I can knock on my desk and that will trigger it. It seems to vary in loudness throughout the day. Why I worry this time is because it seems like it won't go away. I've had signs of this resonant tone being triggered when producing music a few months ago. I think it initially appeared after working on a bass sound which had an annoying resonance.

I would like to keep doing my job, but am worried that I will ruin my career if I don't fix my ears. I've been avoiding loud noises for the past 4 days but it hasn't gotten any better. Any tips or tricks to maybe revert the damage? Similar experiences?

Thanks guys.

2. AfroSnowman
      Balanced

AfroSnowman Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Nonnatural energy source
      I'm sure people who know better than me will run to answer but the basic actions to be taken immediately to lessen the chance of this being a permanent condition are to get Prednisone or equivalent steroid from your MD/ENT ASAP, as in yesterday, force the issue, don't let them shrug you off. It is the only thing that has concrete proof to help reverse tinnitus onset but only if it is taken soon after the trauma.

Aside from that get B vitamin (I forget which variety check on this forum lots of info), ginkgo, and curcumin (found in) Tumeric extracts) immediately. Look through this site for recommended dosages.

Protect your ears especially right now, maybe get some foam ear plug that you can use when you go out in noisy places. If your ears are on the edge you don't want a random honk of a horn to push you over. No clubs, movies, etc until after your ringing has subsided for a while.

Probably and hopefully this will resolve and heal on its own in a few days/weeks. When it does get better, start taking better care of your ears, get some good musician ear plugs so that you can go out and enjoy music while being ear safe and in the future just be aware that you are susceptible to this and that it can get worse and be permanent, so in the future if you find yourself in a loud situation put in the ear plugs or if you don't have them with you extricate yourself from the situation. Read up on safe use of headphones too.

Peace and luck

• Agree Agree x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      RicoSuave

RicoSuave Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Music production and concerts
      Thank you so much for your input. It really gives me hope. Although, I’ve made further research and what I have seems to be cochlear hyperacusis with a pinch of tinnitus. Would you have any information on that? I’ll check the forum to see what people are saying.

Cheers