Tinnitus Causes and Prevention

Discussion in 'Support' started by jrm, Apr 10, 2015.

1. jrm

jrm Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2014
      Hi, I got T due to sudden unilateral hearing loss which happened between me falling asleep one night and waking up the next day.

I was wondering if others had had different causes of T than hearing loss and do you believe it is worth avoiding certain day to day things that increase the tinnitus? And do ear plugs at concerts etc help at all?

Thanks for any help as I'm still getting to grips with this 18 months later.

2. Barbara777

Barbara777 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      2/2015
      It looks like plenty of people on this forum got T and don't have hearing loss. For me it's high frequency hearing loss which I've had for years. One morning I woke up and had loud ringing in my ears. I don't understand why it happened then when my hearing loss existed for at least 10 years prior. And I wore hearing aids. I can't wear them anymore because T gets screaming loud with them.

Ear plugs at concerts and loud events are a must. Don't leave home without them!

3. I who love music
      Cheerful

I who love music Member

Tinnitus Since:
      mid seventies
      You better believe I avoid loud sounds. I've had T for 40 years, caused by loud music. When it comes to crazy loud music earplugs don't shield the bass frequencies enough and it raises my T level, and it's slowly climbing. Bass sounds get into my head via bone conduction. I don't kid myself and I don't tease the snake.

• Agree Agree x 1
    4. Robstarr

Robstarr Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Subsequent to an ear irrigation procedure
      An ear irrigation procedure caused the onset of my tinnitus

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      jrm

jrm Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2014
      Thanks for help! If you use ear plugs do they deduct from the music much?

6. The_T
      Question it

The_T Member

Interesting, can you please name some e.g. of places with "crazy loud" music?

I always thought that bass frequencies were less harmful than higher frequencies when played at the same dB, because higher frequencies carry more energy and therefore are more harmful. But on the other hand earplugs shield higher frequencies better, and lower tends to enter the head by conduction (as you said).

7. I who love music
      Cheerful

I who love music Member

Tinnitus Since:
      mid seventies
      Bass frequencies penetrate the skull via bone conduction. Ear plugs only help a little.