Tinnitus... Don't Know the Cause

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Hotaru, Jan 12, 2016.

tinnitus forum
    1. Hotaru
      Depressed

Hotaru Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12-15-15
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      URI/ETD
      My name is Taru. I am suffering from T. I'm 26 and female.

Six weeks ago I came off the SSRI drug Sertraline. Since then, my health deteriorated. A month ago I got my ears cleaned with water by a doctor who didn't know what he was doing. During that week, my right ear felt cold and wet inside. I went to a new doctor and she diagnosed me with URI and give me antibiotics, Flonase and steroid ear drops. I didn't get much better and that's when I developed T. I thought it was the ear drops but it kept getting worse without them. I went to her again and she said I was still infected (I have fluid in both ears), gave me more antibiotics and steroid pills. T still there. Today I go to an ENT and he pokes a hole in my eardrum and sucks fluid out from behind it. The T is now much worse AND now I have pain from a perforated ear drum. Has anyone else had a similar experience? Will I find silence?

BTW, I'm going to doctors more than I ever have; of all times to not have health insurance since the Marketplace screws over 26-year-old unemployed millennials. Are there cheap yet effective ways to treat this?

• Hug Hug x 1
    2. just1morething
      Benevolent

just1morething Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      barotrauma from airplane descent, noise exposure? ETD? TMJD?
      Did your ENT tell you to use Mack's silicone earplugs for when showering? I had ear injections years ago and used them. Eardrops may be a bad idea, although I had steroid injections. I never heard of URI? Ahh, upper respiratory infection. I didn't like Zoloft either.

3. Hotaru
      Depressed

Hotaru Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12-15-15
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      URI/ETD
      Yes, he told me to use ear-plugs. Maybe I should mention what my T sounds like: like a train going through a tunnel from a mile away, or the sound of two metal pipes being rubbed together slowly next to my ear. There's two sounds in one ear: a high-pitched whistle and a lower-tone hollow metal sound.

4. just1morething
      Benevolent

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Yeah those moldable silicone ones work well. Try not to panic too much. You could go to the ER and get another opinion. Or call a 24/7 nurseline. I know it's hard not to panic with loud noises in your ears/head. I have bad noise myself right now.

5. just1morething
      Benevolent

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Yeah there's many annoying sounds with tinnitus....very difficult to figure out where they're coming from. Could be from inner ear or possible Eustachian tube dysfunction...hard to know. Are you taking Prednisone?

6. Hotaru
      Depressed

Hotaru Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12-15-15
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      URI/ETD
      No.

7. just1morething
      Benevolent

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Yeah you would probably be doubling up as Flonase is a steroid nasal spray. Make sure you get a good nights sleep Taru and see what tomorrow brings. You may have to see another Dr. for another opinion again if your not feeling well and your noise is still bad. I surely hope everything is just a temporary condition for you.

8. Hotaru
      Depressed

Hotaru Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12-15-15
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      URI/ETD
      Thank you. I really want to know what caused it so I can prevent it in the future.