Tinnitus Expos or Conferences in the United States?

Discussion in 'Awareness & Fundraising' started by Jack Straw, Nov 9, 2018.

1. Jack Straw
      Balanced

Jack Straw Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      1990s
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Infection, Acoustic Trauma
      Anyone know of any expos, conferences or events for tinnitus in the US? It seems that the BTA sponsors many events like this, but I don't really see any in the US.

• Like Like x 3
    2. another sean
      Studious

another sean Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Long duration of low audio
      The American Team of Asshats doesn't sponsor many expos. But they can get you a great deal on hearing aids I bet. Do you have design in mind? They will soon carry Marvel Superhero designs for 2019! And don't forget about their latest contribution, new gummy tropical flavored Lipo-Flavonoids.

• Funny Funny x 5
      • Agree Agree x 2
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jack Straw
      Balanced

Tinnitus Since:
      1990s
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Put me down for a box of gummy bear flavored Lipo-Flavonoids!

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Funny Funny x 1
    4. TuxedoCat
      No Mood

TuxedoCat Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      High-frequency hearing loss
      ATA sees their magazine, Tinnitus Today, and their podcasts as the biggest member benefits and are trying to generate advertising revenues.

Tinnitus Today Circulation:
      We place 20,000+ copies of Tinnitus Today magazine in the homes and offices of ATA members and healthcare providers annually. Tinnitus Today is read by thousands of patients in patient provider waiting rooms around the country, by ATA member families, and online at: www.ata.org. Thousands of ATA members access the digital issue with even more utilizing the archives.

The American Tinnitus Association has been publishing Tinnitus Today magazine for over 30 years.

Members receive the magazine three times per year, and have online access to the magazine archives.

The magazine is considered the primary benefit to our members.

The majority of Tinnitus Today magazine readers have had tinnitus for over 10 years and report they are looking for
      1. Updates on treatments and therapies
      2. Easy to read research reports
      3. Products that mitigate tinnitus
      4. FAQ/personal stories
      Tinnitus Today Subscriber Demographics
      • 97% Age 55+
      • 65% College Graduate
      • 65% Male

• Informative Informative x 1
    5. TuxedoCat
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @Jack Straw @another sean
      Appreciate the humor here. So, I guess you guys don't take ATA seriously? Are you members? I am until the end of the year.

As far as EXPO goes, ATA would have to give it a lot of thought. The US is 40 times the size of the UK, so it's hard to imagine how ATA could make it work without more staff and corporate sponsors. They would probably need to have it in multiple locations. I say that without really knowing how many full time staff and members they have. If the circulation of the magazine is an indication, it would be around 6,500 members. The whole organization can be a bit mysterious. Maybe I should read their magazine more diligently. Except for sponsoring support groups, belonging to ATA is a rather solitary experience. -TC

• Agree Agree x 1
    6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jack Straw
      Balanced

Tinnitus Since:
      1990s
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I am not a member and will not become one after the recent debacle on the TODAY show.

• Agree Agree x 2
    7. TuxedoCat
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
    8. MBH

MBH Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Overloaded stress
      @TuxedoCat,

I'm still waiting for ATA to come thru.

I asked them for help and a year later still waiting for their response. She didn't mention membership.

I stated in another thread how misfit they are and the only good I received from them is I joined Tinnitus Talk due to their unwelcome program and she told me they are research only.

They are not a useful organization by any means.

I don't know who you are dealing with, but I can tell you I didn't like what I dealt with.

• Informative Informative x 2
    9. TuxedoCat
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I think it's true that for a period of time they were research only.

Not dealing with anyone at ATA - Actually I don't feel welcome there. That's the end result of how they handled things on their Facebook page after posting the NBC TODAY article.

• Agree Agree x 2
    10. MBH

MBH Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Overloaded stress
      Thanks for getting back to me.

The rudeness on the phone left me shocked considering I begged them for help and advice.

I don't see them trying to raise awareness for tinnitus.

I didn't have a good opinion of ATA before and definitely not now since they missed the boat on the NBC TODAY article.

• Hug Hug x 1
    11. Starthrower
      Wtf

Starthrower Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2002
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Dental Surgery
      Exactly what I experienced TC.

When did this occur @MBH? You are not alone in being treated that way.

• Agree Agree x 1
    12. Contrast
      No Mood

Contrast Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      The problem is most of these are TRT circle jerks.

13. MBH

MBH Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Overloaded stress
      @Starthrower,

the end of June is when my tinnitus started. I started calling American Tinnitus Association in July and August of last year and they never answered the phone, so I tried one more time in September. A woman answered, I asked her a question about tinnitus and off the bat she said they are "research only" and would I make a donation.

I ask for medical advice and again she said "research only". I ask her for any material, I gave her my address to send me anything, I didn't hear a word from her.

14. Starthrower
      Wtf

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2002
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Dental Surgery
      I am so sorry @MBH. It happens to everyone. Having a nice little website is a facade. And ATA asking for donations???? Please...

15. MBH

MBH Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Overloaded stress
      I'm happy I found Tinnitus Talk.

It's sad how the ATA run their organization. What a facade they are.

• Agree Agree x 1
    16. JohnAdams
      Festive

JohnAdams Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Aspirin Toxicity/Possibly Noise
      To be fair, they do discuss scam over the counter tinnitus drugs in a podcast on their homepage. They also have a link to the Daniel Ballinger fund also on their homepage.

17. Finnigan
      Stressed

Finnigan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Injury maybe
      I can make a tinnitus conference happen in the U.S. I just need to figure out the players as I'm new to this tinnitus world.

• Like Like x 2
    18. TuxedoCat
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Can you elaborate? What would you do for funding? Thanks, TC

19. JohnAdams
      Festive

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I will help you.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    20. TuxedoCat
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @Finnigan @JohnAdams

The main tinnitus association in the US is the American Tinnitus Association located in Vienna, Virginia. https://www.ata.org

There is also the Hearing Health Foundation, https://hearinghealthfoundation.org/

Connection to the National Institute of Health is through the NIDCD (National Institute of Deafness and other Communication Disorders) . https://www.nidcd.nih.gov

The only "conference" I know of is https://medicine.uiowa.edu/oto/educ...onference-management-tinnitus-and-hyperacusis. But, I know nothing about it. It may be others on the forum know more or have attended it.

• Like Like x 1
    21. Starthrower
      Wtf

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2002
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Dental Surgery
      Back in the day around 2003 or so (I do not remember the year) we attended two sponsored ATA conferences at UCLA and another location I cannot recall right now.

The most significant being one where Jack Vernon (co-founder of the ATA) spoke. He was a special man. He took phone calls on Fridays and never charged one penny to the tinnitus patients. He sadly passed away a while ago.

Back then there was heart in the cause. I do not sense that feeling anymore except for the accomplishments of @Steve and @Markku.

• Like Like x 2
    22. Finnigan
      Stressed

Finnigan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Injury maybe
      Hi,
      There are several ways to fund a conference either singularly or in combination. Partnering with a University based physician can provide building and equipment which can either be donated or discounted so that attendance fees would cover. Commercial and individual sponsors can provide lit, lunch, etc.. Also, NIH research often requires NPO involvement in a type of mutual consortium which would provide additional funds if the conference developer partners with that NPO and includes a request for conference funds. Hotel room blocking can be done as well.

Clinician involvement is a tax incentive and can also provide significant notoriety for the clinician. While clinician notoriety isn’t something we as patients care about, the reality is that notoriety given to quality clinicians or a facility is like taking a perceived negative and making it a huge positive in terms of awareness. I hope that makes sense.

Problems arise when there isn’t enough interest in attendance by patients and families and patients don’t want to volunteer to help with conference.

One of the first steps would be determining approx interest in attending then develop a suitable location if a location has not been predetermined by a University partner.

There are some other aspects of this of course but these are the first steps.

23. JohnAdams
      Festive

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      We don't need them to form a conference.

• Winner Winner x 1
    24. TuxedoCat
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @Jack Straw @another sean @Starthrower @MBH @Finnigan @JohnAdams

After seeing pictures, hearing Steve and Hazel's roundup of the British Tinnitus Association's EXPO and reading Finnigan's post, I have a better appreciation of how much effort has to go into organizing a conference. Jack, was it something similar to EXPO you had in mind when you asked about conferences in the US?

I seem to recall reading on BTA's Facebook page that one of the staff, Marcus, did the majority of the legwork planning the EXPO.

I kind of doubt Tinnitus Hub would have the resources to organize such an event in the US, besides, they are a UK non-profit.

And who knows what ATA's capabilities are, they hold their cards very close to the chest. I mean we could ask ATA if they ever plan on having such an event in the US? Or, if there is enough interest, maybe the organizers of the Iowa Conference would consider expanding their conference to include a day or half day of patient centered activities.

Maybe you guys had something totally different in mind, but I'm just not feeling the love.
      TC