Tinnitus for 18 Plus Years

Discussion in 'Support' started by Roku, Dec 8, 2014.

1. Roku

Roku Member

Tinnitus Since:
      probably about 18 years
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      using chain saw without hearing protection, also boat engine noise.
      I've had tinnitus for 18 plus years. I also have pretty severe hearing loss. I haven't tried any supplements. Running a chainsaw without protection for years and my lobsterboat engine noise have caused this ringing in both ears. My question is how would anyone know if the hearing loss is because of the tinnitus or loss of hearing itself? I'm new to this forum so maybe this has been asked also, but has anyone tried hearing aids and have they helped with the tinnitus. I've tried them a couple of times but couldn't get used to them and returned them. One doctor wanted to try sound generators, but I guess with the hearing loss they decided against them. It sounds like I'm contradicting myself but maybe the doctor didn't himself very well.

2. I who love music
      Cheerful

I who love music Member

Tinnitus Since:
      mid seventies
      I saw a buddy the other day who has tinnitus and hearing loss. He said his tinnitus is gone because he started wearing a hearing aid. That's what he said. He said his hearing loss is because of loud engine sounds (helicopter) also.

3. Greg Clarke

Greg Clarke Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2006
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma, Live Music
      @Roku

18 years? Wow, sounds like you are managing ok though? Has your Tinnitus changed at all over the years?

4. Marcini
      Dreaming

Marcini Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2008
      To answer the initial question: tinnitus certainly does not cause hearing loss; tinnitus is the result of the hearing loss. Hearing aids seem to help in people with hearing loss because it allows the person to focus on actual sounds more easily as they are amplified. The tinnitus will then fade into the background to a degree.

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Roku

Roku Member

Tinnitus Since:
      probably about 18 years
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      using chain saw without hearing protection, also boat engine noise.
      Thanks for the information. I'm going to give hearing aids another try. I've tried them a couple of times before, but returned them before the trial period was up. Yes, I've learned to live with the tinnitus, but at certain times it feels like my head will explode. This doesn't happen very often. I'm going through a bad period now. One post I read was absolutely correct, the only way anyone can stay sane is to not dwell on it. Try to stay busy and not think about. Sometimes this is easier said than done. Steve at roku

6. Rohit Saluja
      Alienated

Rohit Saluja Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2 weeks
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced and sinus infection
      It means he does not experience tinnitus even after not wearing the hearing aids???

7. I who love music
      Cheerful

I who love music Member

Tinnitus Since:
      mid seventies
      My friend, George, said his tinnitus was "gone" after he started wearing the hearing aids because he's now hard of hearing. I imagine with external sounds being so much more audible for him now, his T is in the background.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Helpful Helpful x 1