Tinnitus for 7 Years. Never Diagnosed. Just Now Seeking Treatment.

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Sara Threldkeld, Sep 20, 2016.

1. Sara Threldkeld

Sara Threldkeld Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Just joined and thankful to be here. I developed high pitched ringing in both ears in 2009 after getting off of an anti depressant. I can easily make the connection of getting of meds to beginning of my tinnitus. It was bothersome at worst but I lived with it, thinking there is nothing medically that can be done to help my symptoms.

Over the past 6 month, over 5 years since getting off meds, my symptoms have become markedly worse. The ringing has turned into a constant roar and I think my hearing is now compromised. It is like I can't think straight anymore. I finally made an appointment to see an ENT in mid October.

I don't know if I will find answers here but I could sure use some support. As an aside, I've recently been diagnosed with hypothyroidism which actually coincides with the time frame of the worsening of symptoms. No idea of there is a correlation. Seeing my endocrinologist tomorrow.

So glad this group exists. I look forward to the collective wisdom here and know I will learn a lot.

• Hug Hug x 1
    2. Alue
      No Mood

Alue Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Welcome. You are in good company. And as you already figured, there is no cure for this curse. That being said, if you get your thyroid/medical issues in check it's possible your tinnitus settle down some.

What anti depressant were you on? Did you stop them abruptly?

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Sara Threldkeld

Sara Threldkeld Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I was on Effexor and yes, foolishly stopped abruptly. Very little WD symptoms compared to others I've read about sans the horrible T.