Tinnitus for Almost 5 Months

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Koala81, Aug 8, 2013.

1. Koala81

Koala81 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2013
      Hello, i´m from Portugal and i developed tinnitus in my left year after a nasty cold 5 months ago. In the begining it was difficult to cope with but now i´m getting used to it.
      I went to the ENT 5 days after feeling my left ear blocked and with noise. He said there wasn´t any fluid in the middle ear and said i had a inner ear infection, i also had a slight hearing loss. Since he didn´t know if the infection was viral or from a bacteria he gave me an antibiotic, steroids, anti-viral.
      After 2 weeks i returned to the ENT and he said that my hearing was almost 100% but the tinnitus was still there. He said not to think about the tinnitus and that it would probably go away with time...
      Does anyone have a similar story? what are the chances that it will go away even after 5 months?

2. James White
      Anime

James White Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Maybe loud music. Not sure.
      Hi Koala81 and welcome to the forums,

Chances of tinnitus going away after time exist in the real world, you won't find a whole lot of them on the internet because most people who have tinnitus dissapearing after a few months don't really bother to go online and share their experience

Either way, it's impossible to know if it will go away or not... the easiest thing to do is to keep occupied and not think of tinnitus as a threat as it's not really one (in most cases) :)

• Like Like x 1
    3. Jeweleeanne

Jeweleeanne Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2012
      This is very similar to my story. I had gotten the flu/pneumonia in Jan 2013 and got a (most likely) permanent spike from my previous, not so annoying tinnitus. I'm at 8 months since my spike, and it hasn't gotten any better, although I've had good days and bad days. I'm just working on trying to accept it at this point!

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Koala81

Koala81 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2013
      Was yout tinnitus caused by an inner ear virus? Mine is pretty much like yours, sometimes really annoying but most of the time it doesn´t really bother me.

5. Jeweleeanne

Jeweleeanne Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2012
      I honestly have no clue what caused my tinnitus. I have hearing loss but I also have TMJ. I do know that when I was on antibiotics for my illness I felt sicker than I ever had in my entire life. I woke up in the middle of the night knowing I had an extremely high fever, but I couldnt find any tylenol in my house so I took aleve. So maybe something happened to my ears because of the fever...

Mine has been bothering me a lot in the past few days. Anxiety doesn't help at all. It boggles my mind that sometimes I can completely ignore it and other times it absorbs all of my thoughts.

6. RyanJayDayv

RyanJayDayv Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/20/15
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I don't know
      Hey you guys, since you posted these comments has your tinnitus gotten better or even disappeared? I had a nasty head cold as well 4 weeks ago and it resulted in hearing loss, pain and ringing. I now have my hearing back and there is no longer any pain BUT the ringing has continued. Is this permanent??

7. MJC
      Depressed

MJC Member

Tinnitus Since:
      April
      Hi
      I've had T for 4 months plus blocked ears and pressure. Has your blocked ears gone?

Thanks

8. Karen
      Talkative

Karen Manager Staff Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      First time: Noise 2nd Time: Ototoxic drug
      Folks,

I've had severe tinnitus for five years. While I do still have the tinnitus and pulsatile tinnitus, both are much easier to live with now. Also, I had the blocked ears and pressure in the beginning, but that is totally gone now. There is hope for you, that the worst of the bad feelings will eventually subside. I'm not saying they'll vanish, but things will get easier.

9. Michael R
      Woot

Michael R Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I had what the ent thinks was labrynthitis. I did not have a cold or flu leading up to the infection so I find it strange. I had bad vertigo in the beginning. The ent gave me steroids as well for a week but they did nothing but make me more anxious and sleepless :confused: I'm almost 2 months in now and no change. But I feel I can cope with it better each day. Making baby steps to habituation. Been very tough but trying to accept the new noises are my silence lol

• Like Like x 1
    10. JohnK
      Busy

JohnK Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/26/2015 (habituated) 5/13/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Doxycycline (2015) Otimize ear drops [neomycin] (2019)
      the antibiotics themselves could be the culprit. Was it Cipro or one ending in '-mycin'?

11. fatima

fatima Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1st august 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Labyrinthitis

Did you recover from this ???