Tinnitus for Over 3 Weeks — Onset Coincides with Stiff Neck and Headphone Usage

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Stevie Ep, Apr 7, 2021.

1. Stevie Ep

Stevie Ep Member

Tinnitus Since:
      18/03/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hi,

I've had tinnitus now for over 3 weeks. I've also had a stiff neck for around the same period.

The ringing seemed to develop gradually over the course of a week. It is mostly my left ear in which I notice it.

I had started a music production course a few weeks prior to the onset and I was using over the head headphones. In terms of loudness I'm not sure as Windows does not display dB on headphone volume. I've tested headphones best I could with a phone dB meter and it looks to be around 85-90 dB. I also remember having sore ears the week before onset with some clear fluid coming from the ears.

Ringing is faint at the moment but increases occasionally, not stopped me sleeping yet either.

Is there a good chance the ringing will subside if I've had it over 3 weeks now? Or could it continue and get worse over time?

I've had a hearing test and hearing is fine.

I'm also worried I will have to stop producing music, which is something I've always wanted to do.

Ringing seems to increase when moving my jaw.

I'd appreciate any advice.

2. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Hi @Stevie Ep,

Headphones are a common cause of tinnitus because there is a tendency to listen at too high a volume without realizing it. If this is the first time you have experienced tinnitus, there is a good chance that it will reduce with time and probably go away. I don't normally recommend a person returning to use any type of headphones once they develop tinnitus from using them, as there's a risk of it increasing. However, as I've said if this is the first time you have experienced tinnitus, wait until it goes a way completely. If you want to resume using headphones after this then keep the volume low as possible.

If the tinnitus reduces to a low level and doesn't go away completely, I don't recommend that you use headphones even at low volume. For now I suggest that you don't use headphones and keep away from loud music, although listening at a comfortable level through speakers should be fine. Please click on the links below and read my posts.

All the best
      Michael

New to Tinnitus, What to Do? | Tinnitus Talk Support Forum
      Tinnitus, A Personal View | Page 6 | Tinnitus Talk Support Forum

3. roy1159
      Suicidal

roy1159 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      NIHL from working in a noisy cafe' for 2 years
      If you don't mind sharing, what were your hearing levels in the tones 3 kHz, 4 kHz and 6 kHz in the hearing test? It can say a lot about noise-induced tinnitus, and it seems like you listened to headphones at too loud of volume.

• Winner Winner x 1
    4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Stevie Ep

Stevie Ep Member

Tinnitus Since:
      18/03/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Thanks @michael-leigh.3134/

I have stopped using headphones completely since it started.

I have also been using a dB meter to make sure monitor speakers are lower than 85 dB. I might actually have a complete break from music for a week or so to see if that helps.

Thanks.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    5. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      HI @Stevie Ep

Please stop using the decibel meter as it can give a false sense of security. If you are experiencing an oversensitivity to sound, a condition known as hyperacusis that often accompanies noise induced tinnitus, you may find my post: Hyperacusis, As I See It, in the link below helpful. Use low level sound enrichment during the day and also at night, more about this is explained in the posts I have sent you.

The tinnitus will improve just give it time.
      Michael

Hyperacusis, As I See It | Tinnitus Talk Support Forum

6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Stevie Ep

Stevie Ep Member

Tinnitus Since:
      18/03/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hi Roy,

I just did an online test and scored 0 dB at 1 kHz, 0 dB at 2 kHz, and 30 dB at 6 kHz.

7. roy1159
      Suicidal

roy1159 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      You said you had a hearing test. Was it a conventional one or did you mean you tested it via online tests?

If you didn't have a real hearing test, schedule one as soon as possible.

8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Stevie Ep

Stevie Ep Member

Tinnitus Since:
      18/03/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I did have a real hearing test the other day but I did not go into detailed results with the audiologist. I was told my hearing was fine.

9. ajc

ajc Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2002; spike 2009; worse 2017-18
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music - noise damage
      Audiologist saying your hearing is fine doesn't mean ANYTHING. They consider anything up to 25 dB normal.

Ask your audiologist for a copy of your audiogram, take a picture of it, and attach it to this thread!

10. roy1159
      Suicidal

roy1159 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Get the results as quickly as you can and post the 3 kHz, 4 kHz and 6 kHz hearing levels. Good luck.

11. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Stevie Ep

Stevie Ep Member

Tinnitus Since:
      18/03/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Do you think I could request it from Specsavers?

12. ajc

ajc Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2002; spike 2009; worse 2017-18
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music - noise damage
      It was a free hearing test? Specsavers' business model is to sell you a hearing aid after the free test. They might not want to give you a copy of the audiogram for free... But I think they might be required to if you ask for it.

Give them a ring and ask.

13. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Stevie Ep

Stevie Ep Member

Tinnitus Since:
      18/03/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I will ask in the morning.

I have just done another online test with results attached. Obviously it is not as accurate but curious on thoughts on this one.

20210407_184952.jpg

14. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      HI @Stevie Ep

I am going to give you some advice and hope that you listen and follow it. You have had tinnitus for just 3 weeks and I understand the way you feel. You haven't said where you are from but if you live in the UK, please do not concern yourself with hearing tests at this time because it's not important and certainly do not go to Specsavers or seek any private healthcare for your hearing or tinnitus. You will get the best help and long term aftercare for your hearing and tinnitus under the NHS that no private practice can match in the UK.

If you are experiencing pain in the ears, problems with balance, dizziness, deafness or hearing impairment, then speak to your GP or go to A&E. Tinnitus can affect a person's mental and emotional wellbeing a lot especially in the early stages, so please talk to your GP about this.

All the best
      Michael

15. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Stevie Ep

Stevie Ep Member

Tinnitus Since:
      18/03/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Thanks Michael.

I will take your advice.

16. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      I am pleased to hear that Stevie. I have been an outpatient on the NHS for 25 years, you cannot get this quality of aftercare anywhere else in the UK privately.

You will be fine just, try to relax and talk to your GP if you are feeling stressed.