Tinnitus from Being in an Abusive Relationship (Head Injury, Loud Shouting)

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by unluckylove192, May 26, 2024.

1. unluckylove192

unluckylove192 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown. Noise? Head injury? Tmj? Etd dysfunction? Could be
      I'm 22, almost 23, and I've had tinnitus since I was 19. I haven't seen an ENT because the public doctors in Australia aren't the best. I have severe tinnitus and hyperacusis, and it's unbearable. I was in an abusive relationship, and I think that's the cause of my tinnitus. It came on suddenly one night while I was lying in bed. Earlier that day, I had a head injury and possible ear damage from noise and shouting. The doctors didn't give me proper information and I ended up taking medication and antibiotics that could have made it worse. No further investigations were made, and I was just told there's no cure.

In the past few months, it's been extreme. I've had tinnitus for 3 years, but I experienced a first spike 2 months ago, which became permanent, and then another spike out of nowhere about 6 or 7 days ago. It's unbearable. My tinnitus used to be mild for the first year, around 3 or 4 out of 10, but now it's at least 9 out of 10, and I hear it no matter what. It's at least 70 decibels, making it difficult for me to hear. This isn't easy, especially with children.

• Hug Hug x 7
    2. ECP

ECP Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      being a caregiver for an elderly lady who is hard of hearing
      Hello, and I am so sorry to learn about your situation. Tinnitus is very hard to deal with and must be even more complex when caring for children. Are you at least physically safe at this time? You mentioned that you were in an abusive relationship in the past.

I'm an American who isn't familiar with the Australian medical system, but some Aussies here might have some advice for you.

I wish you the best and hope you get some helpful responses soon.

In the meantime, this website has a lot of useful information, and I hope it helps you.

• Friendly Friendly x 1