Tinnitus from Blood Pressure (BP) Meds — Lisinopril / HCTZ

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Surrealgirl, Jan 5, 2020.

1. Surrealgirl
      Bitching

Surrealgirl Member

Tinnitus Since:
      June 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Medication induced
      Hi there,

I had changed my meds from Lisinopril/HCTZ 20/25 mg to HCTZ 25 mg and Lisinopril 40 mg, had been on the higher dose for just a few days when after an exercise class I came out of it and my ears were ringing. This was early June 2019. I freaked. I went to the doctor after doing some internet research to find that Lisinopril can cause tinnitus. I figured the higher dose is what triggered it. My HCTZ had also been increased a while back from 12.5 to 25 mg and that also can cause tinnitus. I figure the exercise triggered it. My doctor of course said she'd never heard of these meds causing tinnitus. Supposedly it is rare but it does happen. I know it is permanent at this point, though really hoping if I can lose a bunch of weight that I can get off the BP meds and maybe over time it will go away, though as it is a sign of hearing loss highly doubt that is possible.

Has anyone gotten off their BP meds and had their tinnitus go away or improve? Some days I barely notice it, others it is awful. Sleeping at first was terrible. I know I am drinking more as it helps me get to sleep and I need to stop that both for health and in order to lose weight. Sometimes it gets worse right after I take my HCTZ which makes me think that is the culprit and not the Lisinopril I no longer take. Since it started I switched to Metoprolol 25 mg and still on the HCTZ 25 mg. Both can cause tinnitus (rare side effect). Of course now I am afraid to exercise fearing it will get worse. Right now I sit here with a "eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee" going off in my ears. I know you all know how much this sucks. I always have treasured silence and quiet so this is so awful. Now I have the TV or radio on a lot as it helps offset it and distract me from it. I like to read too which is not so enjoyable these days. I talk louder now, which is aggravating and have trouble hearing others at times. I'm only 54, I don't want another 20-30 years of this crap.

• Like Like x 1
    2. LukeYoung
      Frantic

LukeYoung Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      A loud Concert - Noise Exposure
      Hey mate.
      From most things I’ve read. Medication induced tinnitus has a chance of going away after stopping the medication.

this could be certainly the case for you.
      Hold out hope.

It sucks we won’t hear silence again. But you might :)

Im only 25 so I know what you mean. Another 40-50 years of this :/

Keep positive though as yours seems to be a side effect.

I’m no doctor, so don’t get your hopes up. Try and manage with it for now, and if you stop the meds. And it stops, you’ll be so happy.

take care