Tinnitus from Noise Exposure to a Concrete Coring Drill — How Keep It from Getting Worse?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Owlero, Apr 24, 2022.

1. Owlero

Owlero Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure to concrete coring drill.
      As my cause already states, I acquired tinnitus from noise exposure to a concrete coring drill. Its frequency in operation is very high, and as such my tinnitus is of a high frequency as well. Over the past few months, I've noticed a greater sensitivity to sound and believe my tinnitus is reactive as it gets louder when I try to mask it with pink noise, or am exposed to moderate sound like a running faucet. It started out present only in my right ear, but has gradually been spreading to my left. I woke up just last night to find a new layer of random crackling noises on top of my usual high pitched ringing. I've been avoiding my triggers the past few weeks (alcohol, caffeine, nicotine, cannabinoids etc) and have been remaining indoors, avoiding the moderate loudness of the outdoors in an attempt to halt its progression. My biggest concern is keeping the ringing from getting worse, and allowing my ears to "heal" so that my sensitivity subsides.

I've been perusing this forum over the past weekend in search of answers, or at least the knowledge that I'm on the path to a more normal life, but there seems to be a huge divide on what works and what will make things worse for me.

For somebody with mild (3/10) ringing and noise sensitivity, what should I be doing to prevent it from getting worse? I feel like I'm staring into this dark void that's slowly pulling me in. At this point, I am willing to make any changes to my lifestyle if it means saving my life and sanity.

• Hug Hug x 2
    2. Safari1999
      Musical

Safari1999 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      H and T since 04/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise damage
      I am in a very similar situation to you, same high frequency/mild tinnitus, noise sensitivity and time frame. There are much more experienced (and older) members on this forum and I am certain that they would all say that ear protection (such as foam earplugs) is a must when doing anything even moderately noisy. Try to sleep as well as you can too. These things will help you heal. Also, know that you have to be patient (something I am currently not doing lol).

Hopefully we can both recover and get back to our lives ASAP :)

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Owlero

Owlero Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I don't know what to do anymore...the ringing is getting louder. Everything is getting louder. The more posts I read on here the more conflicted I feel about what I can do to save my future. I have high pitched, reactive tinnitus and hyperacusis. I did all of the things you apparently shouldn't do early after onset. Listening to music and YouTube videos with headphones. Smoking weed and cigarettes. Vaping. Drinking. Eating fast food. All in an attempt to make to make myself feel normal and forget about what happened to me.

The first couple weeks were pretty bad, but eventually it got to the point that I could only hear the ringing in dead silence. I kept up the bad habits and working outdoors, thinking that if I kept myself happy and stress free that I would get past this. I'm now at the 3 month mark, and after experiencing an increase of my symptoms I came here to seek guidance and hope. But it seems like there is no concensus at all on what works and what doesn't. I'm desperate. Please... somebody tell me what I should do... Should I avoid all noise entirely if even moderate noise makes me uncomfortable? Should I try white noise machines all day and all night, as Michael Leigh would suggest?

Has anyone with noise-induced reactive tinnitus, and hyperacusis ever found a path to some relief? Or am I a lost cause? I'm so down at the moment that I feel like life isn't worth living, and I know a crisis hotline isn't going to do me any good because they probably don't even know what hyperacusis is or even an inkling of what I'm going through...

I just want this nightmare to end.

• Hug Hug x 1
    4. Rockman

Rockman Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      1/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise, allergy
      I'm so very sorry you're going through this. My best advice is to keep doing some things that you enjoy. If it's a little loud, wear hearing protection. Don't wear them, say, around the house, unless, say, doing dishes are uncomfortable. Time is the healer.

• Agree Agree x 1
    5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Owlero

Owlero Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I'm barely a week into having noticeable hyperacusis, and I feel like it's getting worse each day. It's not painful yet, but I just feel like no matter what I do I will inevitably turn into a lifeless husk with unbearable, excruciating pain that I can't do anything about.
      • Should I wear ear protection every second of every day?
      • Should I only wear them in loud situations like going outside and taking a shower?
      • Should I try TRT?
      • Should I use custom earplugs, silicone earplugs, earmuffs?
      All I want is some hope. My symptoms are still mild but there doesn't seem to be any consensus at all on what the safest options are. I feel like I'm losing my mind. I don't want to have to make that final decision. That's all I want to avoid. Please, dear God almighty someone please give me some direction... I feel so hopeless and scared every moment of every day now. I've given up on my land surveying career. I'm willing to spend all of my savings to reverse my fate. Please don't tell me to "just hang in there" because that doesn't tell me anything.

I'm desperate. MILD. HYPERACUSIS. FROM. NOISE EXPOSURE. WHAT. TO. DO.

6. ajc

ajc Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2002; spike 2009; worse 2017-18
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music - noise damage
      No unless you want to make your hyperacusis worse. Overprotection is bad for your recovery.
      Taking a shower or taking a walk outside isn't a loud situation. Of course, protect your hearing in genuinely loud situations.
      A week into mild hyperacusis? No. If not improved, maybe in 6 months.
      Whatever floats your boat. Custom earplugs are nice.
      You realize most people with mild hyperacusis recover 100% without doing anything special? You are already now thinking about wanting to avoid suicide and spending all your savings to reverse things. It tells me that you are obsessing and being paranoid and the best course of action is to speak with a CBT therapist. Your fate isn't sealed.

You want some universally accepted truths? There's none. Welcome to the frustrating world of hearing disorders. The next person may tell you that you need to become a hermit and be in earmuffs 24/7. It's up to you what to believe, there is no universal best practice. Listen to your ears and follow your gut.

• Agree Agree x 1
    7. Marshall
      Anime

Marshall Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Barotrauma/virus/loud noise/antibiotics
      DO NOT WEAR PROTECTION 24/7. You will get severe hyperacusis and very sensitive tinnitus.

• Agree Agree x 3
    8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Owlero

Owlero Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I mean, I've just been sitting at home, reading, watching a little TV at low volume, going on walks in a quiet neighborhood. My sensitivity is still worsening each day. Not sure what I'm doing wrong...

9. Marshall
      Anime

Marshall Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Barotrauma/virus/loud noise/antibiotics
      It’s going to get worse before it gets better. I got to the point where my middle ears spasmed to every little noise. And every little noise felt like my ears were being assaulted. My tinnitus was crazy loud and reacted to everything. I could not even talk because my head felt like it was going to explode. After months I decided to push through it and I ended up getting better little by little. But this is my personal story.

Give your ears time to rest, but then start slowly introducing sounds. And don’t overprotect. But also stay away from sounds you know irritates your tinnitus. After a while you’ll start to get a grip on things.

• Agree Agree x 3
      • Like Like x 1
    10. El BUZZ
      Buzzed

El BUZZ Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      Hey, @Owlero! How are you doing these days?

• Like Like x 1
    11. gameover

gameover Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2023
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise+sinus
      His last profile post indicated improvement. Hopefully that continued.