Tinnitus from Ototoxic Medications: Omeprazole & Possibly Zaleplon

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by MrChips13, Dec 14, 2023.

1. MrChips13

MrChips13 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      October 2023
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ototoxic medications
      My tinnitus started in early October of 2023 after being on a double dose of Omeprazole for 3 1/2 months. I did not really need it; I had a rare episode of acid reflux in June and my doctor slapped me on Omeprazole, twice the dose recommended, for some odd reason. I knew no better. I did not know anything about the evils of Proton Pump Inhibitors until I started doing some research. Prolonged use (the box says 14 days only!) can lead to heart attacks, stroke, blood clots; PPIs deprive the body, and brain, of nitric oxide and, yes, have been linked to tinnitus in several studies. I had just weaned myself off, carefully, when the tinnitus started, but it was too late. I am 95% certain this was the cause.

I should add, though, that I made the mistake of mentioning to the same doctor, in June, that I was having trouble sleeping. He slapped me on Zaleplon (Sonata) at the higher dose. It, too, is for short-term use, but the doctor put three refills on the bottle. I knew no better until, again, I started doing some research. No, I did not find an ototoxic relationship between Zaleplon and tinnitus, but I did find research articles on just such an ototoxicity from other sleep med, e.g., Lunesta. Anyway, Zaleplon loses effectiveness over time, and I weaned myself off, just as I did with Omeprazole, and at roughly the same time.

What my gut instinct told me was that one of these medications deprived my brain of nitric oxide, and the other one just messed with its neuro-chemistry, and they did so simultaneously. I got off both and then faced two challenges: Insomnia and tinnitus (which are not unrelated. I have, at least conquered the insomnia with better sleep habits, less blue light, regular late night cups of ginger tea, and a natural supplements approach that included GABA, L-theanine, and Magnesium L-threonate. I am sleeping like a baby. I am taking supplements for tinnitus, too (GABA, Taurine, L-methylfolate, Nicotinamide Riboside, Resveratrol, Quercetin, Betaine), not as a cure-all, but rather, as a multi-faceted approach that includes nourishing the brain and auditory system in whatever way I can.

Meanwhile, I have read, studied, moved from despair to hope, habituating to some extent, masking, trying to live a normal life. I have approached and backed away from hearing aid Sound Therapy. It's not for me. But, my current interest is in learning more about music Notch Therapy. Any help on that front would be appreciated.

2. Utdmad89
      Depressed

Utdmad89 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure
      Omeprazole doesn't cause any of these things you have mentioned.

• Agree Agree x 2