Tinnitus Gets Louder During the Night

Discussion in 'Support' started by Clark, Apr 20, 2018.

1. Clark
      Thinking

Clark Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/24/18
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Clogged ears cause by earwax buildup
      So I have this dilemma where my tinnitus goes on a louder frequency at night, it usually happens around 4am and it's loud enough to piss me off.

I don't really know what this means, but I hope it's not bad news.

Another thing is that when I try to pop up my ears, it gets quieter so that's what I'm doing to get by from now.

• Hug Hug x 1
    2. Samantha R

Samantha R Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      @Clark
      My tinnitus does the same at times. It's definitely different to my normal "day" tinnitus.
      I thought I had it under control, but I've been waking up earlier in the night and it's been annoying and I'm having anxiety about it again.... I do some masking, but I'm wide awake due to the stress.
      I have sleep apnea though, and waiting on a replacement mouthguard to help with that.
      I think mine is variable based on when I wake up in my sleep cycle. If I can get a full cycle, then I'm probably good. I don't think I'm getting that at the moment... maybe the apneas are waking me right up.
      As long as I get back to sleep after I wake, then the tinnitus has usually settled somewhat.
      Last night I had to take a benzo to send myself back off to sleep, I was so anxious.

Last month, I didn't sleep one night due to my poor cat having a thromboembolism and having to make a 5 hour round trip to a vet. I left my home at 11pm and got back at 6am.
      I did notice during this time and the following day that my tinnitus was "normal", none of the night spikes or changes in tinnitus, so it leads me to think it's a sleep thing.

Anyway, that was a long winded post but yes, it's a sleep thing.

3. Mellow7

Mellow7 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I had this for a period as well and coincidentally, it would wake me at the same hour and I would get a little bit of relief by getting up and popping my ears as well. It ended up being due to my H or TTTS (whichever). Now that I have taken up a more noise free lifestyle, I don't get these types of spikes anymore. Though it is generally discouraged to avoid moderate sounds too much, since it may lead you to develop H or TTTS, everyone is different and mine actually settles by avoiding even moderate sounds. If you can't do that, you may want to try wearing some plugs or muffs in environments that you feel are too loud and see if it has a positive impact. Sound tolerance can at a later time, when your ears have been given some rest, be built up again.