Tinnitus Getting Worse After a Year and a Half

Discussion in 'Support' started by sara, Oct 16, 2016.

1. sara
      Alone

sara Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2011
      Hello

I didn't find it necessary to visit this forum for a while. My tinnitus. It was under control. I was getting used to it. All was good.

Until about 4 months ago when sleeping issues arose out of no where. I couldn't relax and my so ever loved sleep was now interrupted. It started with a day or two here and there and then continues to early awakenings for a month. With that came the louder ring in my left ear but now I have it in both ears!!!! And in my head. The right ear whooshing started after I went camping and was careless to sit by the speaker. Yes we took a huge speaker to camp. Every since then the whooshing is there even if it was super low or never went away. Past month though wow!!! Sleeping is so terrible I wake up 3-4 times a night and early awakenings have left me w a loud whooshing in my head that changes all the time!!!! I don't know what to do ? I am back in depression and anxiety phase.

I thought about ending my life a thousand times cuz I don't wanna live like his forever and what if T gets worse and worse and worse. I am getting married in April and it's so hard with all the stress of the planning and now this!

Have anyone of you experience this before ? I just want my t to go down I don't even care if it's not completely gone. I want it to be like before. :(

2. TinniTom
      No Mood

TinniTom Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      very loud disco night
      Hi Sara!

I'm sorry to hear that. I know what you are going through.
      Maybe the stress you had because of your wedding arrangements increased your tinnitus? Because stress is one of the main causes for it. And if your tinnitus is getting louder you focus on it which makes it more louder of course. Try to come down and think about the great wedding you will have :) I know this isn't easy as it sounds.

Do you also take antidepressants? In my case it was indispensable.

I wish you all the best!
      TinniTom

• Like Like x 1
    3. volsung37

volsung37 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      T will go up and down. The more you engage with projects in your life the less it will bother you. Stress about your upcoming marriage is undoubtedly making the sound more intrusive. Take walks in nature and mindfully watch trees and the movement of the sea. This will help.

• Like Like x 1
    4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      sara
      Alone

sara Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2011
      Hello Tinnitom

Thanks for your reply I don't take any antidepressants I am terrified of them. My dad used to pop them like candy and I told myself as a kid I would never go near them. I even hesitate taking melatonin but I honestly had to because waking up 2-3 times a night and not being able to sleep is not a good feeling. And yes I agree maybe it is the stress of my wedding that's causing all this commotion and anxiety to sleepless nights and loud T! It's just so hard living w this thing. Has anyone of you tried taking magnisum and vitamin b12. I took it last night and I don't know but I felt like it made my T worse!!!! I was so scared I was getting deafened by T! Freaked me right out

5. Gosia
      Balanced

Gosia Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      earplugs/ hearing loss
      Magnesium can make t worse temporarily, I think I have that effect too. That may be because it makes the neurons work even more intensely (?) - I tell myself that. It's a vicious circle cause if you don't sleep well for a long period, then your T gets worse too , even if your sleeping problems might have been caused by stress which you don't realise . Don't be afraid of melatonine, if lowers T for many people, however, paradoxally, sometimes it disturbs the sleeping proces.. Personally I discovered I sleep best without any drugs at all, at one condition - I'm not stressed ( more than usually ). I didn't find any better way of dealing with t than tolerating it and living anyway..pretending that it's not there even though I hear it all the time ( almost ) . It changes a lot . Worse periods mingle with better ones . Sometimes we don't realise how much someting stresses us..it may be your wedding indeed ?

• Agree Agree x 1
    6. Breezer

Breezer Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise/Trama
      Hello Sara.

Congratulations on the upcoming wedding!

I tried magnesium and also had b-12 shots for awhile. More to help with mood tho. Used Ginko for a few months also and found no relief. I have those melatonin pills for nights that are hard to sleep but try not to take them often. They can disrupt your normal system's ability to produce this and actually make your days kinda crappy. I am very careful about what I take. I never had anti-depressants but if my doctor ever found that I may require them, I would probably try them for a spell.

Tinnitus is hard to deal with. So nasty is he. He can be fed with stress and anxiety. So now I just try to eat better, sleep better, and get out and live. I use a fan at night by my bed. It never shuts off. I find that little buzzing very comforting and helps not to focus on my ringing. Getting exercise is great too. Staying off the internet for answers to this ringing helps too but at times I log into here or there and see if anyone has made progress. Can't wait til a cure is at hand!

Hope you start feeling better. See your doctor if your feeling miserable, stressed or depressed.

• Agree Agree x 1
    7. TinniTom
      No Mood

TinniTom Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      very loud disco night
      @sara
      Antidepressants shouldn't be used like your dad did of course. Today they are very good with no side affects (depends of which kind of them of course). Maybe it make sense to talk about it with your doctor?

Otherwise I can just recommend the same as Gosia and Breezer already wrote,.. try to tolerate it, put your focus to something else and go on with life.

I wish you all the best!
      TinniTom

• Like Like x 1
    8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      sara
      Alone

sara Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2011
      Thank you very much everyone
      I am so happy I can actually talk to people who understand my situation.

9. DebInAustralia
      No Mood

DebInAustralia Member Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Has it physically increased or are you, as a result of a heightened fight and fright mode noticing it more. Viscious cycle. Im experiencing this with ? increased t in other ear now e.g. freaking out, mood swings, anxiety++++..despairing, fear..

Now that with the help of the back to silence method, my anxiety has settled somewhat ( not the noise) but im wondering if added stresses, shift work, other illnesses to deal with have highlighted my left ear rackett!!

Work on your emotional responses. See if get anything from the back to silence video. The rest will follow ... X

10. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      @DebInAustralia Stress certainly is a factor and can make tinnitus more intrusive. Do you use sound enrichment at night using a sound machine? Or do you sleep in a quiet room?

11. DebInAustralia
      No Mood

DebInAustralia Member Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Hi Michael

I wasnt needing to use masking ( yes ive read your posts about this) but have been lately bc im back to despair.

How are you doing?

12. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      @DebInAustralia
      I am doing fine Deb and sorry to hear your tinnitus is giving problems. If I may say so sound enrichment isn't masking tinnitus. If used correctly it can help lower the tinnitus over time. Set the sound enrichment below your tinnitus and to play throughout the night until morning. The worst thing for anyone that has tinnitus is a quiet room especially at night.