Tinnitus Got Worse After Ear Wax Removal

Discussion in 'Support' started by Somi, Nov 10, 2016.

1. Somi

Somi Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Can tinnitus go down again after ear wax removal???

2. MikeL1972

MikeL1972 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      3/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Uknown
      Hi Somi,

Yes, ear wax removal can definitely help! Good luck! :)

3. Brendan H
      No Mood

Brendan H Member

Tinnitus Since:
      October 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Regarding ear wax removal; I'm not sure if the timing with what's happened with me was coincidental or not.

I noticed elevated volume of the ringing in my ears, so went to an ENT about a month ago and had what I was told was about 70% worth of blockage removed from both ears. Having the wax removed was a bit painful on both sides.

The next day, the tinnitus decreased to a level that I had become used to (barely noticeable). However, on the following day, it elevated again and I either developed, or became aware of hearing sensitivity. If memory serves me, my tinnitus has been slightly worse since before having the ear wax removed.

So I'm not sure if the ear wax removal has caused elevated tinnitus and sensitive hearing, or it just revealed these 2 issues because now my ear canals are clear.

Has anyone experienced something similar?

4. shasta0863

shasta0863 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2007
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced
      What type of removal was it? Manual scooping out or flushing out with some type of liquid.

5. Brendan H
      No Mood

Brendan H Member

Tinnitus Since:
      October 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Manual scooping out.

6. shasta0863

shasta0863 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2007
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced
      What is your T from? Noise, injury or medication induced?

Typically the scooping method is best, and where he's targeting isn't doing anything that would influence the hair cells or neural transmitters back deeper that can get damaged from noise ect.

Might be temp. elevation or something else that is causing it. Unless you're very, very sensitive to your t and know every inch of it and it's pitch and loudness, it could be you're just focusing on it which may make your mind feel as if it's louder.

• Like Like x 1
    7. Brendan H
      No Mood

Brendan H Member

Tinnitus Since:
      October 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Manual scooping out.
      I've been told it is from noise or medication.

I hope you're right! An ENT also told me that my Eustachian tubes are sticking together and that could be amplifying things. He said to give it a few months.

Thanks for your responses.