Tinnitus Has Just Begun

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by brielle998, Mar 20, 2016.

1. brielle998

brielle998 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      Hi, i'm 18 years old and shortly after beingg diagnoses with bronchitis, my left ear began to ring. I saw and ENT and he cleaned my ears out because there was a whole lot of wax, but that was now 3 days ago and still no ring relief. The ringing started about 4 days ago. I'm an internet research junky and I'm not convinced that this is never going away and I am driving myself mad. I can't stop crying and I'm giving up hope that i'll ever experience peace and quiet. Everyone keeps telling me it will go away but I just don't think jt will. But like I said it's only been 4 days. I don't know where to go from here....

• Hug Hug x 1
    2. Sandy B
      Inspired

Sandy B Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/96
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      hearing test set off
      I am elderly and have had tinnitus for many years. You can make a choice to live in peace with this or allow it to ruin your life. I told myself and sometimes remind myself to not allow this tinnitus to make me unhappy. Hum you favorite songs when it gets to you or what you can do to not focus on the ear noises. Heat helps me to relax and I use a heating pad and this helps. Sound therapy might help, you can Google this and Physical Therapy you can Google for ideas to try. Face tapping is good too and you can Google this too. May you be cured of this I will pray.

• Like Like x 1
    3. Karen
      Talkative

Karen Manager Staff Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      First time: Noise 2nd Time: Ototoxic drug
      Hi, @brielle998,

I'm so sorry you have discovered you have tinnitus after having bronchitis. However, it has only been a few days since your tinnitus began, so it's too early to say whether or not it will go away.

Are you currently taking any drugs, such as antibiotics, for the bronchitis? I'm wondering if the antibiotic may have set off your tinnitus. There are a number of drugs that are ototoxic (can cause tinnitus), and the one you are taking could be one of them.

For some people, taking a short course of prednisone can possibly cure tinnitus if the tinnitus is very new. You could consider asking your doctor about it, to see if he would prescribe this for you.

If, however, the tinnitus does not go away after you get over your illness, then there are many ways to cope with this condition. As Sandy B has said, you can learn to habituate to your tinnitus over time. The best way to do that is to be calm, not listen for it, and try to live your life as normally as possible. In time, your mind and body will adjust to the tinnitus, and it won't bother you as much as it does right now.

I'm sure others here will have additional suggestions for you. In the meantime, please don't worry, and it's best not to read the worst-case scenarios on the internet. We're glad you've joined us here, and I'm sure you'll find lots of great information on this forum.

Please be sure to read the Success Stories on this site, and they will give you many reasons to feel hopeful and positive again!

Best wishes,
      Karen

• Like Like x 1
    4. billie48
      Sunshine

billie48 Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure
      Welcome to the forum, @brielle998. You have been well advised by Karen and Sandy. I will suggest you read up this TT thread which has step by step instruction on what to do when T is new.

http:tinnitustalk.com/panic///www.

When tinnitus is new or at a new irritating level, and the ringing is causing much anxiety and panic, it is advisable to get masking going so you won’t be so anxious and fearful. Stress and anxiety are toxic to T. So try masking if you haven’t done so. I used to mask all day just to prevent panic attacks from hearing my ultra high pitch loud dog whistle T. Try these if you haven't yet:

1) Mask at bed time so you can sleep better. Find whatever sounds/music that are soothing to you. You can use a sound machine or sound pillow for this, or a computer with speakers.

2) If you need masking on the go, try load an ipad with nature sounds or music using itune, or use smart phone.

3) If you have computer and speakers, you can try these excellent masking sounds:

TT's audio player:
      https://www.tinnitustalk.com/audioplayer/

or download free sound generator ‘aire freshener’: http://www.peterhirschberg.com/mysoftware.html

or make your own rain sound: http://mynoise.net/NoiseMachines/rainNoiseGenerator.php

or search youtube with words like 'tinnitus masking sounds', 'white noise', 'rain sound' etc.

• Like Like x 1