Tinnitus, Hearing Loss, and Vertigo: Oh My!

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Geneffa, Oct 26, 2020.

1. Geneffa
      Confused

Geneffa Member

Tinnitus Since:
      October 11th (I think)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hi Everyone! I'm so grateful for your posts, which I've been reading all afternoon. It helps to know I'm not alone. This is new (like two weeks new), and I'm still trying to wrap my mind around what's happening to me. I guess I've had tell-tale signs.

When I was in grad school, stressed out and sleep deprived, I noticed a strange pressure-change feeling between my ears; felt it again when I went off an antidepressant and suffered withdrawal in my mid-30's.

Four years ago, I had a terrible bout of vertigo and had to miss work. Even lying down didn't help.

Then, two weeks ago, I had a bout of vertigo that made me vomit, and I was able to fall asleep but woke up with tinnitus, which has been with me ever since. It's worse when it wakes me up around 4:30 each morning with a shrill tone and tachycardia (racing heart). I have Atrial Tachycardia but it's been controlled for years, so I'm not sure why it's started up, and this time with tinnitus. So far, I've been to audiology, and was diagnosed with mild hearing loss. I'm concerned that the confluence of symptoms could be Meniere's. I see the ENT tomorrow. I'm even more concerned with the research that tinnitus and hearing loss can be a sign of early Alzheimer's. My mum's currently late-stage AD and it started with hearing loss, so as I'm getting more and more forgetful and then this started, my anxiety is high. Any thoughts?

This is my first time joining an online forum and posting about myself. 2020, what other new things do you have in store for me? :sneaky:

• Hug Hug x 3
    2. Kendra

Kendra Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      SSNHL/ Acoustic Trauma
      Do you have low frequency hearing loss?

3. billie48
      Sunshine

billie48 Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure
      Welcome to the forum Geneffa. Regarding your vertigo, I hope it is not Meniere's related. If it is HPPV related, then you may want to try this method called Half Somersault technique invented by a lady MD. I had HPPV twice, and each time I did this maneuver each time and the vertigo went away after trying the maneuver. Give this method a try. Good luck. God bless.

Carol Foster, MD Vertigo Treatment Oct 11

• Like Like x 1
    4. DebInAustralia
      No Mood

DebInAustralia Member Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Hi there,

To add, if you suspect Meniere's Disease, you could consider trialing John from Ohio Protocol...

There may be an autoimmune component to Meniere's Disease, so a trial of low dose Naltrexone may help.

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Geneffa
      Confused

Geneffa Member

Tinnitus Since:
      October 11th (I think)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Thanks for the advice. It's mid-high level hearing loss, and equal in both ears, so most likely not Meniere's. Since I also have hyperacusis, I'm more worried about the connection to dementia. I read that T wears down the brain because it never gets to rest. It is wearying. . . especially the spikes at about 4 am each morning. It's also really bad at night (for instance, right now). Can barely focus to type. I look forward to learning how others have coped.

• Hug Hug x 2
    6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Geneffa
      Confused

Geneffa Member

Tinnitus Since:
      October 11th (I think)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hello Beautiful People! Any thoughts about how to deal with sudden onset hyperacusis along with tinnitus (and hearing loss)? Took my son to the doctor yesterday, and when the nurse entered to talk to my son while doctor was talking to me, I had a meltdown. It was so loud and chaotic, and of course, tinnitus blaring, I had to cover my ears and scream over it all. I can't even be in the kitchen anymore when my family is there because the noise of pots and pans or the oven fan hurts my ears. I have another doctor's appointment today and am thinking of using ear plugs. Does anyone else have these symptoms all occurring together, and if so, any idea of the cause? Trying not to be anxious. Trying to embrace the gift in all this even if I can't see it yet. :)

• Hug Hug x 1
    7. Kendra

Kendra Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      SSNHL/ Acoustic Trauma
      Try using musicians earplugs to help take down the noise but not completely cut it off.

8. Juan

Juan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Several causes
      If you have hyperacusis, use earmuffs around the kitchen. The kitchen is loud.

• Agree Agree x 1